Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Comedy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=560)
-   -   Comedy Film (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/comedy/13209-comedy-film.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 07:14 PM

You keep reviewing Laurel and Hardy Inspector.

That'll save me some money. :lol:

Inspector Abberline 6th December 2015 08:31 AM

1941 (1979)

3 Attachment(s)
1941 (1979)
Its hard to believe that even the great Steven Spielberg had a flop in his career, shock horror ,well sort of, it wasn't the blockbuster like his previous movies, but it still made money according to the world wide web. 1941 for those who have never seen it ,is a massive big budget world war two comedy, think Animal House meets Pearl Harbour. On top of that it has quite an all star cast Christopher Lee as Captain Wolfgang von Kleinschmidt, Toshirō Mifune as Commander Akiro Mitamura and Dan Aykroyd as Motor Sergeant Frank Tree to name a few. The film starts with Spielberg homages his own film jaws, as a Japanese submarine is off the coast of California thinking of invading America, on board is Captain Wolfgang von Kleinschmidt a German naval officer who is at constant logger heads with his counterpart Commander Akiro Mitamura. Mean while on shore Bobby Di Cicco as Wally Stephens is trying to date Dianne Kay as Betty Douglas, only Corporal Chuck "Stretch" Sitarski (Treat Williams) keeps trying beat up Wally and get Betty to date him. On top of that Dan Aykroyd as Motor Sergeant Frank Tree and his tank crew are causing all manor of destruction and if that wasn't enough John Belushi as Captain "Wild" Bill Kelso, U.S. Army Air Corps is causing mayhem across California in his Curtiss P-40 fighter plane. 1941 if anything is a spectacular movie, its big brash and bold, certainly no expense was spared to recreate USA in the 1940s . The reason I think it wasn't a major success (well not as big as jaws) is that its two zany too far out and set against the background of world war two it may of just been to jarring for a patriotic American audience, nobody in this film especially the U,S military come out of this looking normal, in fact everybody portrayed in the army or air force comes across as criminally insane or looney tunes mad. I first saw the film as a graphic novel,I didn't think the film would be anywhere near as crazy as the comic book suggested but boy was I wrong,thats probably the best description for the film is that its a comic in live action form,its a Road Runner cartoon, its like a crazy dream after you've eaten cheese the night before. The humour doesn't always work and some of the characters are some of the characterisations are so over the top you do wonder if Spielberg seems to of lost control over his own pet project.Still you probably won't ever get a film like this ever made again ,its so anarchic. Recomended for Spielberg completest and the criminally insane. Apparently some of the incidents that happened are true,zoot riots, sticking an Anti air craft gun on someone's lawn and the fact the American's actually bothered to get involved in WW11 at all.

:):):) out of 5

Inspector Abberline 7th December 2015 06:24 PM

The Chimp (1932)

7 Attachment(s)
The Chimp (1932)
Laurel and Hardy are a pair of circus performers working with Jimmy Finlayson (Ringmaster) and Tiny Sandford (Destructo),we first see the pair come on as a pantomime horse, then they help Destructo with his stage act, they inadvertently fill his cannon up with too much gun powder and blow the circus tent down. Unfortunately the circus can't pay any of its employees so all the performers are given something form the circus as payment. Stan gets the flea circus and Olly gets Ethel the gorilla dressed in ballet tutu. While trying to rent a room in a hotel ,Billy Gilbert (Landlord) refuses them until they get rid of Ethel. Meanwhile MGM (lion) is also in town looking for a room. They decide to dress Ethel up in Olly's clothes because the landlord won't notice the difference? The Chimp is basically Laughing Gravy remake but instead of a little dog you get a bloody great gorilla Charles Gemora (Ethel the gorilla). Although I really love Laughing Gravy, There's some much more scope for laffs when you got a gorilla around, the constant looks of amorous affection that Ethel gives Stan are only equalled by antagonise Olly constantly. Ethel is also pretty light are on her see how elegantly she dances with Stan. Just to add confusion to all the merriment the landlords wife is called Ethel as well, which is sure to cause confusion because he thinks his wife is being unfaithful, and when he bursts into Laurel and Hardy room thinking that his wife is under the bed sheets ,he declares "the mother of my children", which is news to Laurel and Hardy as its there Ethel under the bed sheets. You know you got a great film when a gorilla in a hat winks, lovingly at Stanley, then proceeds to beat Olly with a bit of wood then stick him in a wooden cage. I also watched the colorized version and as I thought it looks horrible.

Oliver (Oliver Hardy): Well, I can’t sleep with the monkey!
Stan (Stan Laurel): Oh, she doesn’t mind. [to Ethel] You don’t mind sleeping with Ollie, do you? [to Ollie] No, she doesn’t.]

Inspector Abberline 8th December 2015 06:58 PM

Bedazzled (1967)

4 Attachment(s)
Bedazzled (1967)
Peter Cook is the devil. Dudley Moore is Stanley Moon a cook at a Wimpey's restaurant (McDonalds to you kids) ,every day he day dreams about Margaret (Eleanor Bron). a waitress there, but cannot find the courage to ask her out. Depressed he decides to hang himself but is interrupted by the devil in the shape of George Spiggott (Cook). Spiggott explains that he needs 100 billion souls so he can get back into heaven, he offers Moon seven wishes for his soul ,Stanley see's this as an opportunity to romance Margaret. Based on a story by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore ,Bedazzled's main strength is Peter Cook performance his character and performance is so charismatic , Cook the actor is so underrated yet in the 1960's he certainly cut a fine figure, and revels in the part of the devil as he torments Stanley Moon (Moore) at every opportunity, this could also have shades of there real life relationship to come . The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer would see Cook play another type of devil in the shape of a man who takes over advertising agency and then proceeds to manipulate his way into politics. Every time Moon (Moore) makes a wish Spiggott (Cook). twists his wish so that it eventually back fires and Moon has to cancel his wish and use up another one. While not tormenting Moon ,the devil whiles away his time getting pigeons to poop on people or phoning up women and telling then there husbands are cheating on them. The swinging 60's make a great back drop for the film and having Raquel Welch as Lilian Lust one of the seven deadly sins was a stroke of genius, she only has a minor role but if you have seen any the stills of her from the film then you'll understand why. While Cook is pretty damn good Dudley Moore also pulls the stops out, he can play sheepish little nobody's like no other actor can ,Stanley Moon soon realises by the end of the film that having his wishes granted is not the way to get what he wants in life, and he eventually reverts back to how he was at the start, a cook in fast food café. But this time he finds the courage to ask Margaret out, she's busy ,but does hint at maybe another night. I think there's a lesson to be learnt from all this but I'm damned if I know what it is, Still Bedazzled is a funny and at times crazy film, which poses the question whether its better to wish for what we want or just be happy with what we got in live. Although I would used all my wishes on Ms Welch.

:):):):) out of 5

Susan Foreman 8th December 2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 470255)
Bedazzled (1967)

If you are watching the film, and you don't like it, just blow a raspberry and the movie will stop. Then say the magic words 'Julie Andrews', and a new film will start in its place!

Inspector Abberline 9th December 2015 09:44 PM

Holiday on the Buses (1973)

3 Attachment(s)
Holiday on the Buses (1973)
A word to Shane Meadows, This is England? no this was England As a kid all I remember was being dragged from one gloomy holiday to another, usually in the pouring rain, it was either that or an endless procession of aunts and uncles getting married, and me sitting in the corner of the room at the family disco while uncle Jimmy OBE tried to do the funky gibbon, or whatever the latest dance craze was, I wonder what happened to uncle Jimmy OBE. This is what Holiday on the Buses conjures up, men with side burns and flares drinking brown ale,nicotined stained fingers and everything seemed brown or beige ,the clothes, the wallpaper the sky. At the start of the film, Reg Varney crashes his bus while looking at a young lady running for another bus and her top falls, were only a few minutes into the film and we've already got breasts. Later on we get Anna Karen - (Olive Rudge) bum in the swimming pool after she loses her bikini bottoms, apparently this was not her bum but a stunt doubles, (Also this seems to be the only case of censorship with On the Buses, the bum shot was cut from an early afternoon showing of the film) Later on there's plenty of up skirt shots of women going up to the top of the double decker buses .So the level of nudity is slightly cranked up for a A cert ,Im wondering if they were worried about the competition from more risqué end of the market with likes of Confession films and Adventure of movies at the time. They needn't of worried although the British sex comedy was prevalent they were seldom ever funny. In all fairness to the makers they manage to film the location filming on mostly sunny days ,which only highlights how pale and badly dressed the cast are.Still Pontins at Prestatyn never looked so good,If your a fan you''ll luv it, and if your not a fan,then what are doing reading this.

:xmasnuts::xmasnuts::xmasnuts::xmasnuts: pot of 5

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th December 2015 09:54 PM

You're actually winning me over with these On the Buses reviews. That and finding that episode i watched the other week hilarious.

Inspector Abberline 10th December 2015 06:45 PM

The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970)

3 Attachment(s)
The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer
Peter cook minus Dudley moore , is Michael Rimmer a mysterious gentlemen who turns up at a rather badly run advertising agency headed by Ferret (Arthur Lowe).Everybody assumes he has been employed by Dennis Price as Fairburn to do a time and motion study. Slowly Rimmer takes control of the company getting Ferret reduced to a tea boy and general dogs body. Peter Cooks Micheal Rimmer character effortlessly jumps from advertising agent to head of a polling agency, but his real aim is to become the prime minister or maybe President. It probably won't come to any surprise to anyone that this satire on fame and politics is just as relevant today as it was back then, probably more so now that people want fame but not the hard work of getting it .Rimmer manipulates tory leader Ronald Fraser as Tom Hutchinson ,for his sown aims of getting power in the future. Whether its big business, the military or student unions everybody seems to be open to corruption and bribery. The cast is pretty much a whos who of 60's comedy , from John Cleese , Ronnie Corbett and Arthur Lowe to name a few, but its Peter Cook who manages to convey a veneer of mischievous evil and pure smugness throughout the film without breaking a sweat,in fact his performance is almost robotic like ,which is just what the role needed, imagine in the film Westworld there was a Polticworld ,just full of smarmy grinning idiots who will tell you anything just to get your vote ,then that's Michael Rimmer, but instead of Yul Brynner its Peter Cook. Its the world of spin doctors and political shenanigan's, to win over the Home Secretary who doesn't want anything to do with a Tory party that condones racism , he's mysteriously beaten up by a black mugger. Now I never said the humour was subtle or in some cases politically correct, check out the close up shots of Valerie Leon bottom,but hey its tail end of the 60's the only thing that's missing is Arthur Lowe doing an impression of Lee Harvey Oswald,Oh wait he does.

:xmaslol::xmaslol::xmaslol::xmaslol: out of 5:snowman:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th December 2015 10:47 PM

Wrong Cops (2013)

http://skyfall.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/...g?k=b5294c79d4

If you're familiar with Quentin Dupieux and enjoy his work (especially Wrong) then you don't need to read any further and you can just go off and enjoy Wrong Cops, but for those who aren't overly familiar with him or his films this is a spin-off from his film Wrong and revolves around a group of amoral, lawless, and generally screwed-up cops from Wrong's universe. Dupieux's style is certainly Marmite in flavour, and his comedy style whilst zany also resembles the particular yeast extract food-stuff in colour as well. Overall this was a fun ride and the mix of ridiculous situations, deadpan comedy and general weirdness really played to my sensibilities as I knew it would; even if it was a little too smug with itself at times... however that's just Dupieux I guess. Marilyn Manson also has a bizarre little cameo too which was a nice surprise.

Recommended for fans of all things f*cked up who like their comedy and their films a little bit off to side of the beaten path.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/file...?itok=LmnzJ9FP

74/100

Inspector Abberline 12th December 2015 11:51 AM

Them Thar Hills (1934)

4 Attachment(s)
Them Thar Hills (1934)
Olly has gout? to much high living , too which Stan replies : "Well maybe we should move down into the basement" , obviously Olly's not impressed with this suggestion but does indeed like his idea of renting a caravan and going to 'the high multitude'. But wouldn't you know it some moonshiners have been arrested, not before they pour the said liquid down an old mountain well. Probably one of the best discs in the boxset is Laurel & Hardy Volume 2 - Someone's Ailing, a great triple bill County Hospital,Them Thar Hill and Tit For Tat, Interesting to note Tit for Tat was the only genuine sequel they ever made to a film, being a continuation of the relationship between Stan and Olly and Charlie Hall and Mae Busch a married couple they meet in Them Thar Hills. Its Charlie Hall's grumpiness and antagonism that pushes the stories along, he is very suspicious of his wife around other men especially as she's very flirtatious with Olly in both films. In fact this happens allot Olly is usually the romantic out of the two and seems to be forever falling in love or trying to please the women in his life, usually unsuccessfully. Them Thar Hills is wonderful little comedy filed with memorable scenes like when Stan and Olly are cleaning the caravan, and Stan continually interrupts Olly singing, with Stan adding his 'pom-pom' tune . There's Evil Dead 2 style axe scene as Stan is chopping firewood on the floor and nearly cleaves off Olly's toes in the process. Mae Busch is her usually brilliant self abit saucy abit mischievous but never a push over ,as she always gives as good as she gets when being bossed around by Charlie. And poor old Charlie Hall is by the time the film has finished pretty much butt of the jokes, the last scene where he has molasses and feathers poured over him makes him look like a giant chicken, priceless.

:xmasnuts::xmasnuts::xmasnuts::xmasnuts::xmasnuts: out of 5