LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Carry On film in its entirety...

That makes two of us!
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Going in Style (2017)

Comedy heist caper as Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin plot to rob a bank when their pension funds are canceled.

Sometimes a bit of light hearted fun is all you want from a film and Going in Style has it in spades. The three leads are great as are the rest of the cast - Ann-Margaret, Matt Dillon, Christopher Lloyd and all. Everyone spars off each other really nicely and in the case of Caine, Arkin and Freeman, with great charm.

The film naturally plays on the fact the guys are no longer spring chickens but there's a lot of fun to be had elsewhere too. The heist itself is carefully co-ordinated as are alibis and it all comes together as a whole rather well.

Going in Style is the modern day equivalent of the classic rainy, lazy Sunday afternoon movie and should be enjoyed as such.

Old 3rd September 2019, 05:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That makes two of us!
At least I'm not alone!
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
At least I'm not alone!
We may be outnumbered, but we aren't alone.
Old 1st February 2020, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

San Ferry Ann (1965, Jeremy Summers)

The English abroad is it? Ach, go on then. Featuring a cast of stalwarts from the period, tis another Plank style semi silent knockabout, featuring a family, two couples and sundry stragglers on day trip mode. About as relevant as it gets it seems . the cliches come thick and fast and it will be going back into the machine sharpish!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th May 2020, 06:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Return of the Pink Panther 1975

Seller's return as Clouseau after his first two venture's,A Shot In The Dark and The Pink Panther,(probably best not to mention Alan Arkins attempt at Inspector Clouseau,he is a great comedy actor but Arkin was onto a hiding to nothing trying to out bungle Peter Seller's.) I'm never sure if the cartoon Clouseau on the credits,was based on Sellers or whether Seller's was turning into a cartoon character. They certainly up the slapstick stakes in Return, something which they continued with the rest of the series. In fact the comedy violence is almost up there with a Jackie Chan movie, particularly the ongoing fight between Kato and the inspector. Sir Charles Litton is now played by the suave Christopher Plummer and his love interest by Catherine Schell as Lady Claudine Litton. And while there both great actors,all you really want is Seller's and when ever he is not on screen, your just waiting for the next gag. The only actor who can hold his own, when on the screen with Sellers is Herbert Lom,whose deranged Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus is probably one of the screen's best underated movie villain's. That said the marvelous Graham Stark*is always a delight, especially in Revenge of the Pink Panther*(1978) as Professor Auguste Balls.. Return is nowhere near as sophisticated a comedy as the first Panther movie,but it's a great comfort movie and endlessly rewatchable.

Old 25th May 2020, 05:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Man with Two Brains (1983)

The Man with two Brain's is probably my favourite Steve Martin film,followed closely by The Jerk,both really are fine examples of Martin's wild and wacky humor..Its low level humor lies somewhere between the Zuckers Airplane movie's and Woody Allen's earlier silly movie's like Banana's and Sleeper's. Its a fairly fast paced non stop slew of great gags,ranging from the totally ridiculous, to the totally even more ridiculous..Martin himself manages to deliver some of the most outrageously absurd lines with such conviction, its a truly absurd tale of a Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr,who fall's in love with a brain floating in a jar called Anne Uumellmahaye.With a wonderful supporting cast including the incredibly attractive Kathleen Turner,looking suitably like the sexy femme fatale,but managing to be extremely funny as well. Also David Warner plays the usual devilish scientist,Dr. Alfred Necessiter....Also look out for a pre Herbert West from Jeffrey Combs as a doctor,although he has nothing to do with any brain operations in this film. Chock full of quotable lines from start to finish,this was a fave in the days of VHS rental days, most notably for its great eye catching poster...Again another great film to getaway from the BS of real life....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twobrains.jpg (103.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 25th May 2020, 05:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Man with two Brain's is probably my favourite Steve Martin film,followed closely by The Jerk...
Totally agree with this...

Then probably Planes, trains and automobiles and Dead men don't wear plaid for me.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th May 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Blockheads

Blockheads.
Blockheads starts with Stan and Ollie fighting in the trenches of France towards the end of the first world war. Ollie is ordered to go over the top with the rest of the platoon while Stan is left to guard the trenches no matter what...Of course Stan not wanting to disobey orders keeps gaurd for another twenty years,not knowing the war is over until he nearly shots down a French pilot,who then explains to Stan the war is over.. Ollie and Stan are reunited when Ollie sees Stan's photo in the newspaper. This has a fairly slow start,and unusually the duo are kept apart for a good ten minutes at the start..So it's not until the pair are reunited that the gags starts kicking in..The first one being that Ollie thinks that Stan has lost his leg in the war and needs help,of course by the time Ollie realises his mistake,any of the sympathy he had for his long lost pal has soon gone...There are some great moments including the usual face off with James Finlayson which ends in the usual punch up. Also look out for Harry Earle's from Tod Browning's Freaks...The story seemed a little unusual,and didn't seem to go anywhere,also the scene's with Billy Gilbert as a returning big game hunter,went on a bit to long, for my liking.Not my favourite from the duo , probably could of done with cutting down on the non laurel and hardy scenes, but there is still plenty to enjoy,my favourite moment being when Ollie gets into a fight and Stan runs around telling everyone there's gonna be a fight, like an excited school kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51PnTIFKmFL._AC_.jpg (51.5 KB, 2 views)

Old 3rd July 2020, 05:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Hollywood or Bust (1956)

Hollywood or Bust.
The last in Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, comedies. Lets be honest while Martin and Lewis may not be every body's cup of tea,and you can't say that there movies are laugh out loud funny,there no Laurel and Hardy but are more preferable to Abbott and Costello...I think there sucess lies mainly in fact that there both highly likeable characters,even if Jerry Lewis feins an incrediblely irratting voice that would make Bob from House by the Cemetery,cringe...( also he does seem to be acting like he has certain learning difficulties to say the least)... Anyway Martin and Lewis both win a rather fancy car,and to solve the problem the pair end up joint owning the vehicle,and end up going to Hollywood together, including Lewis Great Dane named Mr. Bascomb... Obviously hilarity ensues as they travel across the country heading to Hollywood...I have to say that even with Jerry Lewis delivering his lines like he was shouting through a megaphone, it's still a fun pleasant watch, that will not tax the brain and both Martin and Lewis have a great chemistry it's very hard to dislike them,mind you the dog steals the film from under there noses.... Also it has that wonderful look you only get with movies from the 1950s...

Like this? Share it using the links below!