Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2020, 07:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Ugly Dachshund (1966)

The Ugly Dachshund (1966)
In Horrible Bosses, when questioned about his name Dean 'MF' Jones responds by saying "I can't walk around this f**kin neighborhood with that Disney-ass name."...What Jamie Foxx means in his own elequant way is that Dean Jones is the epitome of the family Disney movie,from cats, ducks, shaggy dogs and mental Volkswagen cars,Dean Jones has acted with them all...And obviously you do not need to be a genius to figure out who he appears with in The Ugly Dachshund,but as always there is a Disney twist,and the twist is that Dean Jones manages to sneak a great dane puppy , going by the name of Brutus,into the litter of his wife's dachshund puppies Let's be honest you are not going to find any deep and meaningful insight into man's human nature,from a Disney film starring four dachshund dogs and a great dane called Brutus... But if you are looking for an alternative to last October's month of blood and guts, then you could do a lot worse than this...At the end of the day it's 90 odd mins of Mr Jones falling into fishponds, arguing with the police and chasing the dogs around the house while they destroy everything in sight... It's s cliche I know,but really would have to have a heart of stone not to smile at a great dane after he has trashed a house...

Old 24th December 2020, 09:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Laughing Gravy (1930)

Laughing Gravy...
Stan and Ollie and of course there little dog laughing gravy.are all tucked up in bed, while outside it's snowing heavily... Unfortunately for them, there landlord,played by moustache Charlie Hall,( it seems that most villains seem to have moustache to twirl,Dick Dasterdly,Terry Thomas and of course Stan and Ollie main nemesis James Finlayson),is not a big fan of cute little dogs,and tells the duo that them and their dog will have to leave in the morning...This has to be one of my all time favourite of the 3 reel shorts they made,The chimp being the other one,and that's just basically a remake of Laughing Gravy but with a dancing cross dressing chimp instead of a dog....It has plenty of scenes of Oliver Hardy being very indignant, especially when he finds out Stan has come into an inheritance,and then gives it all away just so he can keep Laughing Gravy....It always amazes me how much storyline you can get into a 30 to 20 minutes features, you feel like you have watched something more like Lord of the Rings running time, but less rubbish and certainly not as boring... Why do modern film makers feel the need to waste hours of our time watching there pretentious drivel,yes Christopher Nolan I mean you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laughinggravytitlecard.jpg (20.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 24th December 2020, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Laughing Gravy the other week, I have a feeling I watched the 2 reel version. I laughed a lot! Especially the bath scene lol.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th December 2020, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Laughing Gravy the other week, I have a feeling I watched the 2 reel version. I laughed a lot! Especially the bath scene lol.
Yeah both versions are good,but reel two implies that at the end Charlie Hall blows his brains out, rather than being quarantined with L&H ..

Old 24th December 2020, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Yeah both versions are good,but reel two implies that at the end Charlie Hall blows his brains out, rather than being quarantined with L&H ..
Yeah that is definitely the version I watched, I remember being a little shocked by how dark it ended.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th January 2021, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

High Anxiety (1977, Mel Brooks)

His love letter to Hitch. Whilst some of the gags are beginning to fray at the edges slightly, this is still on the whole a funny film.
When a eminent shrink takes charge of a new facility, is everything in the garden rosy? The usual suspects take up the slack. Kahn still smoulders as always.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

David Brent: Life on the Road (2016)

The reason i've not watched this dvd despite owning it is plain to see once the movie has finished. David Brent is so frustrating, so annoying yet also infuriatingly likable. His idiocy is hard to watch over a lengthy period.

This feature film is ninety odd minutes of Brent being cringe inducing whilst going on the road with his band around the Berkshire area to ever dwindling crowds. Everything he says and does makes you want to pull your hair out.

Yet in the last ten seconds as Brent went for a coffee with Jo Hartley's sympathetic co-worker and she took his hand in hers, with a tear in my eye, i was practically yelling at the screen, "Do not f*ck this up, David".
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
David Brent: Life on the Road (2016)

The reason i've not watched this dvd despite owning it is plain to see once the movie has finished. David Brent is so frustrating, so annoying yet also infuriatingly likable. His idiocy is hard to watch over a lengthy period.

This feature film is ninety odd minutes of Brent being cringe inducing whilst going on the road with his band around the Berkshire area to ever dwindling crowds. Everything he says and does makes you want to pull your hair out.

Yet in the last ten seconds as Brent went for a coffee with Jo Hartley's sympathetic co-worker and she took his hand in hers, with a tear in my eye, i was practically yelling at the screen, "Do not f*ck this up, David".
Great review Dem,so many great moments,also great support from Dom Johnson and Tom Basden as the sound engineer...I think the Slough song is brilliant....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 3rd April 2021, 01:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Great review Dem,so many great moments,also great support from Dom Johnson and Tom Basden as the sound engineer...I think the Slough song is brilliant....
Thanks, Inspector. The rest of the band, ever so frustrated with him, yet when it comes to him no longer being around, he's missed and they want to share a beer with him.
Old 4th April 2021, 03:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Chimp (1933)

The Chimp...(1933).
Unfairly written off as just a Laughing Gravy remake (mainly by me),my opinion has definitely changed,and it only took about 100 re-watches... While it has always been a personal favourite of mine (not necessarily L&H best short film,but certainly a top tier one) ,it has a amazingly un-realistic premise,in that the circus L&H are working for (as the pantomime horse for Lady Godiva no less) decides to close,and instead of being payed off with money,the circus performers are all given a piece of the circus acts...Stan gets the flea circus,and poor old Oliver gets the cross dressing Tu Tu wearing (perhaps this is wear Toxic Avenger got the idea from) Ethel the Chimp, although she looks more like a gorilla to my old eyes.... We'll at least they did not get MGM,as Stan calls him,the lion,(probably to hard to get a lion to dance in a Tu Tu)...A lot of the humour comes from the relationship between Stan and Ethel,even though it's Olly who has inherited the Chimp,it's Stan the Chimp has taken a shine too, swapping furtive glances behind Ollie's back, almost like a bizarre love triangle...It has to be said that Charles Gemora,(king of the ape suits, before Rick Baker came along that is) really brings alot of comedy to the role, and manages to make Ethel pretty much the star of the film...L&H last silent movie was Angora Love, about the boys finding a stray goat,the mind really does boggle at times...

Like this? Share it using the links below!