Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2021, 05:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Alan Partridge Alpha Papa

Alan reflects ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00004 (Large).jpg (39.4 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 18th June 2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Edit size of image
Old 25th June 2021, 05:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default carry on Abroad (1972)

Son of revenge of trail of creature of random comedy pic generator rises from the swampy tomb near the castle.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00006.jpg (87.9 KB, 51 views)

Old 18th July 2021, 10:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Groove Tube (1974, Ken Shapiro)

Predating Zucker/ Abrahams/ Zucker somewhat, this mishmash of spoof and satire hasn't aged as well as some. Decent primate costumes for all that. Spot Chevy Chase! Ahem. Next?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th September 2022, 08:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

American Pie Presents: Beta House (2007)

The third installment in the American Pie Presents film series, Beta House concerns a couple of freshmen who become a part of the Beta House fraternity led by the famous Dwight Stifler. However things take a turn for the worse when the college geeks decide to shut down the Beta House.

As with all these films the majority of the characters are quite likable otherwise the films would be pretty unwatchable. Naturally Eugene Levy's Mr. Levenstein plays a pivotal role in proceedings towards the end as Beta House take on the geeks (very wealthy geeks i might add with their own babes as the new kind of babe knows that geeks will make money whereas Stifler's will just arse about) in a Greek Olympiad", with the winners taking the loser's House.

A few very funny jokes are spread sporadically through Beta House as well as a few fun ideas, not to mention rampant T&A. On the whole if you like these DTV sequels / segues from the American Pie films then this is absolutely fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (98.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th September 2022, 08:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Detroit Rock City (1999)

When it comes to the soundtrack, this film about four college kids on a quest to get Kiss tickets at Detroit's legendary Cobo Hall in 78, is almost the equal of Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused, with the likes of AC/DC, Ramones, Black Sabbath, Cheap Trick, Bowie, Thin Lizzy, The Sweet and of course Kiss themselves.

Sadly where it falls short isn't so much the story but the four guys at the heart of it. I find it really hard to root for them and they come across at times as quite unpleasant with some of the things they attempt such as threatening to steal Kiss tickets from youngsters. Only Edward Furlong of the four comes over as memorable. However the film has a decent cast of support players including Shannon Tweed, Melanie Lynskey, Natasha Lyonne and an OTT Lin Shaye as a Bible wielding mother.

It's Shaye that gives the film one of it's head scratching moments for me when she burns her son's Kiss ticket and the tickets of his three friends. I'd be going ape shit and have my parents round demanding recompense and an apology as she has no right whatsoever destroying other peoples property...it drives me nuts every time i see this film.

So whilst Detroit Rock City is no classic high school comedy it has it's moments, but it's mainly the soundtrack and the five minute live Kiss performance that makes me return to it every so often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detroit-rock-city-movie-poster-1999-1020196385.jpg (80.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 18th October 2022, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween Ends (2022, David Gordon Green)

Hilarity all round as we meet those wacky Strodes again, still tusslin' with their kinfolk after all these yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars. Ahem.
3 decent kills do not amount to much imho. I'll say what I really think when everyone's seen this .... product

N
E
X
T
!
!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!