Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Laughing Gravy (1931)

Laughing Gravy (1931)
As landlord goes Charlie Hall in Laughing Gravy has to put up with quite a lot,his two tenants are either hiccupping, barking like a dog or dropping bricks on his head while trying to get down his chimney. On top of all that they may be trying to smuggle a dog into there room .In fact Laughing Gravy can't get any sleep either , mainly because Stan's snoring keeps waking him up , Gravy is eventually discovered by Hall and is thrown unceremoniously into the cold and snow. Mr Hardy goes and retrieves the dog only for Mr Laurel to leave him outside in the snow instead.What I love about this film is the snow and ice is all fake,but for some reason in the confines of there world it looks more realistic than it should, for example when Mr Hardy falls into the barrel of icy cold water its not the ice that tells us its freezing but Hardy's shivering, and for some reason being in a barrel makes it seem even more colder, (whatever happened to wooden barrels),For some reason chimneys always seem to make an appearance as well,when Gravy is shoved up the chimney ( can dogs climb chimneys) Mr Laurel is sent up there to get the dog down again, only by now the dog has managed to get on the roof??? This then gives the opportunity for bricks to be dropped on peoples heads and toe's. Nobody does pain like Oliver Hardy,in reality there foam bricks and rubber objects that get launched at his head, but by sheer power of that thing they call acting you'd think they were the real McCoy.Cute little mongrels, fake snow,a horrible landlord, poverty and falling masonry aren't these the things we all face on a daily basis,I know I do.Stand out scene, when Olly says well take a bath,Stan says what about Laughing gravy,Olly replies we will wash him first,the look on Stan's face is one of confusion, obviously Olly loves the dog more than he loves Stan.

out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laughinggravytitlecard.jpg (57.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg laughing_gravy___laughing_gravy.jpg (36.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 3rd December 2015, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm really enjoying this thread Inspector.

You're reviewing a lot of films i haven't seen before which is good.

Laughing Gravy is top quality Laurel and Hardy madness.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm really enjoying this thread Inspector.

You're reviewing a lot of films i haven't seen before which is good.

Laughing Gravy is top quality Laurel and Hardy madness.
I'm now watching the French lang version of Laughing gravy, Olly keeps looking off camera so I assume he's reading it from idiot boards off screen.

Old 3rd December 2015, 11:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I'm now watching the French lang version of Laughing gravy, Olly keeps looking off camera so I assume he's reading it from idiot boards off screen.
Is that from the box set?

I've never bothered to watch it if it is.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Is that from the box set?

I've never bothered to watch it if it is.
should be disc 10 SNOW ,its called Les Carottiers, its Be Big and Laughing Gravy both together in French,it looks like they re-filmed with the actors speaking French phonetically , its worth at least one watch.
MacBlayne likes this.

Old 3rd December 2015, 11:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
should be disc 10 SNOW ,its called Les Carottiers, its Be Big and Laughing Gravy both together in French,it looks like they re-filmed with the actors speaking French phonetically , its worth at least one watch.
I'll try and remember that for January.

Are they subtitled or just in French?
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I'll try and remember that for January.

Are they subtitled or just in French?
just speaking French abit bizarre really.

Old 5th December 2015, 12:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dad's Army (1971)

Dad's Army (1971)
With the remake due out next year, I should imagine there will be a ground swell of nostalgia for the original tv series as well. Repeated constantly throughout my childhood , I would always watch when it was on television, it was a sitcom that appealed to all ages .Written by Jimmy Perry and David Croft ( they must of wrote the majority of sitcoms for the bbc during the 1970s and 1980s) ,it was probably one of the few 70s sitcoms that didn't really on Double entendre or saucy carry on style humour to get it laughs, the characters were kind of childlike buffoons who muddled through there exploits, it was this childish kind of playground squabbling that the characters had that probably appealed to any kids watching, seeing a bunch of old men acting like kids and basically playing soldiers, that was what me and my mates did in the playground, you could emphasise with them. The film version re-treads the same story as the tv series, with Arthur Lowe as Captain Mainwaring and John Le Mesurier as Sergeant Wilson forming the Local Defence Volunteers later renamed the Home Guard, after hearing a speech by Anthony Eden on the radio. With a film budget you do get a wider sense that Walmington-on-Sea is an actual town and the majority of the film is shot on location as opposed to there usual village hall training ground or that same stretch of road they used in the tv show. All the cast are present and correct,with minor characters added here and there, the only real change was to the character of Mrs Pike who was changed to Liz Fraser instead of Janet Davies who had been Mrs Pike in the tv series. If you liked the tv series then there's no reason not to enjoy this film version, its cast of silly eccentric characters defending England from those orrible Germans are just as funny and just lovable,heres hoping the remake is just as good. We're All Doomed.

Cpt. George Mainwaring: We have an invaluable weapon in our army, ingenuity and improvisation.

Pvt. James Frazer: That's two.

out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12728122.jpg (91.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 5th December 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 5th December 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I think i'm going to pick up a fair few of these films you're reviewing Inspector.

It can be a little mission for early 2016 to brighten up bloody gloomy January.
Old 5th December 2015, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default County Hospital (1932)

Laurel And Hardy - County Hospital .
Mr Hardy is in the county hospital with a broken leg, supposedly taking a rest and recuperating, Mr Laurel decides to visit because he didn't have anything better to do .Being a thoughtful friend Mr Laurel brings a gift of hard-boiled eggs and nuts. This film fits very nicely into the theme of Mr Hardy leg, County Hospital ha has a broken leg, Them Thar Hills his foot is suffering with gout so they decide to hire a caravan and go into the hills, this then had a sequel Tit for Tat where Stan and Ollie return from there trip to open an electrical shop only to be neighbours with a couple they met on there trip. County Hospital is only about 18mins long but sure stuffs itself full of gags as it goes. But it will probably be remember for one of the best jokes probably ever written-

Oliver: [seeing that Stan has brought him a present] What have you got there?

Stanley: I brought you some hardboiled eggs and some nuts.

Oliver: Now, you I can't eat hardboiled eggs and nuts. If you wanted to bring me something, why didn't you bring me candy?

Stanley: They cost too much.

Oliver: What does that got to do with it?

Stanley: You didn't pay me for the last box I brought you.

Mr Laurel even gets the sex of the doctor wrong The Doctor: I hope I find you well? Stanley: Thank you, ma'am. Jugs of water are spilled bedpans are whacked over heads and hypodermic needles are sat on, and a good pair of pants (trousers for us limeys) are cut up by mistake. Mr Laurel now drugged up to his eyeballs with a sedative tries to drive Olly home. It has to be said that back projection is not the best effect ever invented but since this is a comedy where not really looking for realism are we.In the end they crash. I don't know what there secret is,maybe the Hal Roach studios have something to do with it,I do think the films they made outside of there studio were never this good, or its just that lightening in a bottle thing that only ever happens once in a blue moon. The looks to camera,the double takes the indignation have all been done since but never as good.Don't put your hand in there. I have to drink that water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Countyhospitaltitlecard.jpg (54.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2311308_l2.jpg (23.1 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!