LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2016, 08:58 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Inspector's been cut and pasting!

How do i know?

Two spellings of Ollie/Olly in the review and quotes.
Perhaps Vic and Ron wrote parts of it with him.
Old 30th January 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Paleface (1948)

The Paleface (1948)
Jane Russell as Calamity Jane is busted out of prison by the governor and offered a pardon if she will go undercover and find out who is selling illegal guns to the Indians.Unfortunately, the man who was to be her partner in uncovering this is shot in the back.Bob Hope is Painless Potter a rather incompetent dentist who gets chased out of town for pulling the wrong tooth on a cowboy.Before you know it Calamity Jane has shot three outlaws, knocked out Painless Potter and then convinced him to marry her.Surprising for a zany Bob Hope comedy the plot and storyline is pretty good (Carry on Cowboy (1965) used a similar story except Jim Dale was a plumber, not a dentist). This was Bob Hope's first colour movie and probably one of his most famous from his solo career, featuring his hit song "Buttons and Bows" which won an Academy Award for Best Song that year. Bob Hope is at his most likeable in Paleface and Jane Russell, well even wearing a cowboy outfit can still look sexy as hell. Hope's mixture of a cowardly but arrogant wise cracking loser,is not a million miles away from Bruce Campbell ,Ash character from the Evil Dead films.
The Paleface is a colourful and fun comedy western that seemingly crams as many cowboy film cliches into its running time as possible. Its probably not often that I have a Ruggero Deodato flashback while watching a Bob Hope movie,but when the Indians tied Hopes legs to two tree's,I was reminded of poor old John Steiner's death in Cut and Run ( Inferno in diretta ),luckily for Mr Hope he does not suffer the same fate as Mr Steiner does, luckily when the ropes are cut Painless Potter shoots out of his cowboy boots and is slung up a nearby tree.Paleface is good old fashioned family friendly comedy with a great little gag at the end.

Old 30th January 2016, 08:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Paleface (1948)
Remade as 'The Shakiest Gun In The West', with Don Knotts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic570 - don knotts.jpg (18.6 KB, 2 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th January 2016, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Well! My very first viewing of On The Buses is coming up shortly.

I'm quite excited!
Old 31st January 2016, 06:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Holiday On The Buses. (1973)

Holiday On The Buses. (1973)

A redux-post of my review in honour of Dems joining the bus company.

The third and last in the trilogy this sees the cast go all Hi De HI as they go to Pontins holiday park at Prestatyn Sands near Rhyl Wales.So as you could imagine were not talking baking hot sun and golden beaches,so instead of Girls Go Wild style shenanigans we get to see Anna Karen in a rather ill fitting bikini and then her bum (although a stunt bum was used for the close up,and this is one of the few times I can re-call a censor cut when aired on TV one afternoon. This happened again over the Xmas period 2015 boxing day,I was watching it with a few mates on ITV 3 or whatever it was and nearly had a fit as I shouted "they've cut Olive's bum" not something you would usually shout in public.).
I noticed that a couple of scenes seemed to be filmed using real holiday makers in the background,as I noticed in the part where Blakey chases Stan through an outdoor paddling pool,a little boy tries to help Stan out, which gave a rather Dogme film approach. Its basically Stan and Jack chasing birds but instead of clippies its holiday makers instead.Plot wise its just one mishap followed by another strung together with the odd close up shot of any passing cleavage.All the cast are present and correct although at the time Reg Varney and Michael Robbins had both left the TV series.
Also unusually we got some 1970s star names turning up in the cast the wonderful Wilfred Brambell plays a lecherous OAP lusting after Doris Hare,we got the busty Kate Williams from Love Thy Neighbour as Blakeys love interest,yes you heard right,well up until Jack (Bob Grant) shags her and is caught in the act. Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts play a pair of loud cockneys and Henry McGee straight man on The Benny Hill show as the camp manager.
Listen this film is not going to convert you if your not a fan,neither will it please anybody remotely PC but you don't watch On The Buses for its politics.What I truly love about watching the films and Tv series is seeing another Britain,its basically my childhood in all its gaudy light browns and beige clothes and nicotine stained glory. Its been nearly 40 odd years since the shows were made and they still get watched,that alone speaks volumes.

Old 31st January 2016, 02:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just ordered this thanks to your review Inspector.

Need head seeing to!
OH MY GOD! You'll be playing Humble Pie records next.
Old 31st January 2016, 02:16 PM
Cult Addict

After reading through the last few pages I'm in the mood for a 70's day today. I've watched the On The Buses series recently, so it will be either The Confessions (Window Cleaner, Driving Instructor, Pop Performer and Holiday Camp) series or the Stanley Long Adventures (Taxi Driver, Private Eye and Plumber).

Last edited by mr 420; 31st January 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 31st January 2016, 02:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
After reading through the last few pages in in the mood for a 70's day today. I've watched the On The Buses series recently, so it will be either The Confessions (Window Cleaner, Driving Instructor, Pop Performer and Holiday Camp) series or the Stanley Long Adventures (Taxi Driver, Private Eye and Plumber).
just remember to keep your pants on just in case the vicar pops round for tea,and try not to get in compromising position with next doors cat ,and definitely don't get caught masturbating.just because Mr Askwith gets away with does not mean you can,alright.
mr 420 likes this.

Old 31st January 2016, 02:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
just remember to keep your pants on just in case the vicar pops round for tea,and try not to get in compromising position with next doors cat ,and definitely don't get caught masturbating.just because Mr Askwith gets away with does not mean you can,alright.
Very wise advice that every Labber should adhere to.
Old 31st January 2016, 02:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Very wise advice that every Labber should adhere to.
Just a normal night in for me; apart from keeping pants on of course!

Like this? Share it using the links below!