Old 14th February 2016, 09:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Magic Christian (1969)
As a huge Monty Python fan, and lover of the projects most of the Pythons made before and afterwards (Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Brazil etc.), I'm ashamed to say I have never seen this film. Despite your less-than-glowing opinion of it, and the comments underneath, I've added it to my Lovefilm rental queue – I owe it to myself.
Old 14th February 2016, 09:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As a huge Monty Python fan, and lover of the projects most of the Pythons made before and afterwards (Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Brazil etc.), I'm ashamed to say I have never seen this film. Despite your less-than-glowing opinion of it, and the comments underneath, I've added it to my Lovefilm rental queue – I owe it to myself.
Yeah its worth a watch,John Cleese and Graham Chapman have two scenes, John Cleese as Mr. Dugdale (director in Sotheby's) and Graham Chapman as Oxford crewman (uncredited) like Dem says you also got Raquel Welch as Priestess of the Whip and Christopher Lee as Ship's vampire.

Old 18th February 2016, 12:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Not a film but this seemed the best place to put this news.

BBC Shows and Tours - Shows - Are You Being Served?
Old 20th February 2016, 07:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Dad's Army episode
The Deadly Attachment Original air date Wednesday 31/10/73 6.50pm

The Deadly Attachment is probably one of the most famous of the Dads Army episodes, mainly because of the classic line "Don't tell him, Pike!"
The true sign of a classic line is when it enters into pop culture, and people know what is being referred to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic586 - don't tell him pike.jpg (84.3 KB, 8 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st March 2016, 11:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. (1948)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948.jpg (99.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (1).jpg (96.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (2).jpg (97.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (3).jpg (97.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (4).jpg (97.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (5).jpg (100.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (6).jpg (94.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1948 (7).jpg (103.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd March 2016, 07:43 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. (1948)
I bet you were posting those through gritted teeth, Dem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th March 2016, 05:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default BILL

This past me by a film by the creators of the BBC's Horrible Histories,looks good.

91APozohuRL._SL1500_.jpg91XqUvkqxeL._SL1500_.jpg
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 16th March 2016, 06:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Flying Deuces (1939)

The Flying Deuces (1939)
Stan and Ollie are holidaying in France together as usual staying in a local Inn.Yet again Oliver falls in love, this time with innkeepers daughter Georgette.But his affections and marriage proposal are spurned because Georgette is already married to Foreign Legion officer Francois. Taking the news badly love lorn Oliver decides to commit suicide,a slight over reaction me thinks,considering he hardly knew her. Meanwhile a shark has escaped and has managed to get out of its aquarium WTF . So Stan and Ollie trundle on down to the local docks,with the intention of Ollie throwing himself into the water tied to a bloody great big stone,in the hope of killing himself. Unfortunately for Stan little does he know that Ollie expects him to join him in his watery demise also. Ollie's attempt at suicide is a failure no doubt hindered by the shark eating a paddle and its finn molesting Ollie's bottom. The duo are talked out of suicide by a passing Foreign legion officer,who turns out to be Georgette's husband,and are convinced the only way to forget about his broken heart is to join the French Foreign legion. While no where near in the same league as the Hal Roach produced short films, The Flying Deuces (1939) does have its moments and on the whole a fairly entertaining way of spending an hour. There are some rather bizarre plot points,the duo endlessly discuss reincarnation (obviously building up to the finale) where Stan says he wound come back as himself and Ollie deciding he would rather return as a horse. Also Oliver's rather morbid decision to kill himself over Georgette seems completely barmy. And if all of this seems rather familiar to you,then this is because its basically a remake of the vastly superior 1931 short film Beau Hunks.Not what I would call classic Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy but certainly a nice look at some of there earlier non Hal Roach stuff.
As Laurel and Hardy did not have an exclusive contract with Hal Roach, they were able to appear in films for studios other than his as they pleased.

Oliver: Stanley, a miracle has happened. I've completely forgotten.

Stanley: You mean you've forgotten Georgette?

Oliver: Who's Georgette?

Stanley: That's swell, now we can go home.

Old 16th March 2016, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice review, Inspector.
Old 28th April 2016, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Royal Flash 1975. One of my favourite films of all time!

Starring Malcolm McDowell as Flashy, Alan Bates as Rudi, an Hungarian adventurer, Florinda Bolkan as Lola Montez an 'entertainer', Britt Ekland, Oliver Reed as Otto von Bismarck and many British character actors including Joss Ackland, Lionel Jeffries, Alastair Sim and Sir Michael Hordern. It even has Henry Cooper as a boxing champ (Cooper's voice was dubbed over for some reason). Now, there's a cast for you.

An adaptation of George MacDonald Fraser's book of the same name, it's a 19th century romp with the most cowardly of English heroes Harry Flashman who gets roped into a dodgy scheme of Bismarck's to gain a strategically important Duchy to incorporate into his new Reich. Our man Harry has to impersonate the Prince who is supposed to be marrying the widowed Duchess (a ravishing Britt Ekland). Harry is told that the real Prince has a dose of clap - the reality is a bit more complex than that and ends in a pastiche of one of Dumas's better known swashbucklers.

It's played for laughs and as well as a cast to die for, has a really good and quotable script.

Lola Montez to Flashman "Call yourself a man!"

Flashman, "I never did!"

Flashman to a supposed child-hood friend who could potentially unmask him "Spring! Where did you Eric from!"

Flashman to Britt Ekland "You're the nicest piece of tumble i've seen in ages."

"Ain't the doggies got the boar yet?"

Too many zingers to bore you with!

Watch it.

Last edited by Deadite; 28th April 2016 at 11:06 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!