Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:50 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Dad's Army at the cinema and really enjoyed it, despite its shortcomings. I thought the cast were uniformly very good and owned their roles without mimicking or impersonating the original actors. In terms of the antagonist for Captain Mainwaring, I thought it was Wilson who tended to undermine his authority and frustrate his ambitions to spend time with Rose. The scene with Wilson, Mainwaring, and Pike in Rose's cottage was pure farce and funnier for it.

For me, most of the laughs came from Godfrey's sisters, Cissy and Dolly, and the relationships between the men, particularly everyone having to accommodate Godfrey (superbly essayed by Michael Gambon).

I felt it has the right mix of originality and homage and is something I could quite happily watch again.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw Dad's Army at the cinema and really enjoyed it, despite its shortcomings. I thought the cast were uniformly very good and owned their roles without mimicking or impersonating the original actors. In terms of the antagonist for Captain Mainwaring, I thought it was Wilson who tended to undermine his authority and frustrate his ambitions to spend time with Rose. The scene with Wilson, Mainwaring, and Pike in Rose's cottage was pure farce and funnier for it.

For me, most of the laughs came from Godfrey's sisters, Cissy and Dolly, and the relationships between the men, particularly everyone having to accommodate Godfrey (superbly essayed by Michael Gambon).

I felt it has the right mix of originality and homage and is something I could quite happily watch again.
Well I totally disagree,I could not find a joke amongst the dire plot,Its almost like we watched different films.
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 2nd July 2016, 04:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Well I totally disagree,I could not find a joke amongst the dire plot,Its almost like we watched different films.
It's likely because comedy is extremely subjective, with some people liking clever wordplay, others preferring physical humour, or 'dick and fart' humour. People like different sorts of jokes, from limericks to puns, rambling stories which are funny in their delivery, or satire and parody.

To put it in a more concise way, it's horses for courses.
Old 4th July 2016, 01:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Billy Liar drains the life out of being Jones. Nighy impersonates Le Mesurier...badly. Only watched it for Toby Jones, and, well, there you go. Remake Love Thy Neighbour with Tom Hardy and Idris Elba says I ha ha

I like all sorts of comedy as well. From WC Fields to Four Lions......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2016, 06:25 PM
Cult Master

From Wikipedia:

"The Stolen Jools (1931) is a short comedy film produced by the Masquers Club of Hollywood, featuring many cameo appearances by the film stars of the day. The stars appeared in the film, distributed by Paramount Pictures, to raise funds for the National Vaudeville Artists Tuberculosis Sanitarium. The UCLA Film and Television Archive entry for this film says—as do the credits—that the film was co-sponsored by Chesterfield cigarettes to support the "fine work" of the NVA sanitarium.

When the film was shown in theaters in 1931, a person would appear after the film to ask the audience for donations. Because the film was made for charity, it has an unusually large cast of actors from various studios in addition to Paramount, such as Warner Bros., RKO, MGM, and Hal Roach Studios.

This film was known by the name The Slippery Pearls in the United Kingdom, and was thought to be a lost film until a print was found in the UK in the 1990s. Another print was later found in the US under the alternate title."

What a cast list, as noted in the closing credits:

At the Police Station
Wallace Beery
Buster Keaton
Jack Hill
J. Farrell MacDonald
Edward G. Robinson
George E. Stone

The Law
Eddie Kane
Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy

At the Victim’s House
Our Gang: (Farina, Stymie, Chubby, Mary Ann Jackson, Shirley Jean Rickert, Echo, Wheezer, Pete the Pup)
Polly Moran
Norma Shearer
Hedda Hopper

Tete-a-Tete
Joan Crawford
William Haines

On the Porch Swing
Dorothy Lee

At Breakfast
Victor McLaglen
Edmund Lowe
El Brendel

In the Hotel
Charlie Murray
George Sidney
Winnie Lightner
Fifi D'Orsay
Warner Baxter
Irene Dunne

At Lunch
Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey

In the Movie Studio
Richard Dix
Claudia Dell
Lowell Sherman

The Newsmen
Eugene Pallette
Stuart Erwin
Skeets Gallagher
Gary Cooper
Wynne Gibson
Buddy Rogers

The Detective
Maurice Chevalier

Under the Tree
Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.
Loretta Young
Richard Barthelmess
Charles Butterworth

Couples at Home
Bebe Daniels and Ben Lyon
Barbara Stanwyck and Frank Fay

In a Movie Scene
Jack Oakie and Fay Wray

Projectionist
George "Gabby" Hayes

The Midget
Little Billy (Billy Rhodes)

Mystery solved by
Mitzi Green

(Uncredited)
Joe E. Brown
Robert Ames
Bert Lytell

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th October 2016, 06:38 PM
Cult Master

Born on October 20th, 1882 - Margaret Dumont, described by Groucho as being 'practically the fifth Marx Brother'

Old 20th October 2016, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Born on October 20th, 1882 - Margaret Dumont, described by Groucho as being 'practically the fifth Marx Brother'

She really was. She sold nearly every one of Groucho's jokes with her performances. She is the perfect example of Krusty's guide to comedy: "The pie gag's only funny when the sap's got dignity!"
Old 22nd October 2016, 05:44 AM
Cult Master

Born on October 22nd, 1903 - Curly Howard

"Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk"
"Woo, woo, woo!"
"A WISE Guy, Eh?"

Old 3rd November 2016, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Laughing Gravy ( 04 April 1931)

LAUGHING GRAVY.

laughing_gravy__title_card_.jpg

Its a snowy landscape,but Stan and Ollie are all warm and cosy in bed,while outside the snow keeps coming,every thing is fine until Stan gets the hiccups and not only wakes Ollie up but poor old Laughing Gravy as well.Of course being a Laurel and Hardy film nothing is that simple,especially when there landlord is hard put upon Charlie Hall,obviously having Stan and Ollie as tenants is enough to drive any one mad.Then again I kind of feel sorry for Laughing Gravy,the poor pooch is not only turfed out of the house into the cold but also manages to get himself on the roof of the house,clever dog manages to climb up the inside of the chimney.Also incredibly Gravy seems to have a rather bushy black moustache.Laughing Gravy is a classic film,but its not chock full of gags,but it is very nicely paced film,with plenty of stand out moments,see Ollie impersonate Gravy in the flower bushes only to get a flower pot thrown at him,at first he cries in agony.then he instantly remembers he is supposed to be a dog and starts yelping.And it also has a great moment of pathos,Stan receives a letter telling him he has to leave Ollie if he wants to inherit a $1000,obviously Stan is stricken,he with holds the letter from Ollie,which leads to Ollie tormenting Stan with a song.Eventually Stan caves in and lets Ollie read the note,to say that Ollie is crest fallen would be an understatement.its a nice moment when Ollie realises its been him holding Stan back,not the other way around,as he had assumed so may times,sad and rather touching,While the boys are as usual excellent , Laughing Gravy the dog deserves a big mention,he looks completely non-plussed by all the antics also the great Charlie Hall,is also fantastic,he really is put through the ringer by the duo and there dog,and is very funny throughout the film.

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 3rd November 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 4th November 2016, 05:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Elvis & Nixon (2016)

Elvis & Nixon (2016)

It has to be said that fact is always stranger than fiction,and none more so than the time Elvis Aron Presley met Richard Nixon on December 21, 1970. There is probably a million untold stories about both of these two gentlemen,But when the two collided, history seems to have taken a turn for the very weird indeed.The early 1970's in America was a tremendous tumultuous period in its history,race riots,students rioting against Vietnam war,Woodstock and the rise of The Black Panthers and the rise of drug use,are all incendiary and divisive issues. And a certain Mr Presley wants to tackle all these issues,and be sworn in as an undercover agent for the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.I mean this comes as no surprise to me,considering his love of karate and guns,although I fail to see how the single most famous person on the planet was ever going to be able to go undercover,wearing a jump suit and gold rimmed sunglasses.As for Nixon himself,the history books will never paint him kindly,but after Oliver Stones Nixon with Anthony Hopkins and now Kevin Spacey in Elvis & Nixon,the cinema has portrayed him quite favourably,well at least honestly,which is probably quite unexpected considering his past misdemeanours.While the film is never laugh out loud rolling in the aisles funny,it manages to look at this rather bizarre incident with a wry smile,and never sends up its two lead characters,there both portrayed with there good and bad points,even though both of them are very idiosyncratic characters who tend to act in some bizarre parallel world to the rest of us.Both Kevin Spacey as President Richard Nixon and Michael Shannon as singer Elvis Presley, are absolutely fantastic,there performances really raise the bar for biographical films.You may be disappointed if your looking for a Bruce Cambell style portrayal,Shannon really inhabits the skin of the King in a much more realistic fashion.Special mentions for Alex Pettyfer as Jerry Schilling,Presley best friend and a rather subdued Johnny Knoxville as Sonny West,both are rather good as part of the Kings mafia.Like I said this is a great comedy/drama that relies on the chemistry of the characters rather than jokes or one liners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 243.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Elvis-and-Nixon2.jpg (86.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg elvis-and-nixon-3.jpg (91.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!