Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2016, 12:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I think there is a lot of good tv about it's just knowing what it is. Personally i don't think there has been a decent British comedy since The League of Gentleman although that might be because the ones i've tried haven't impressed at all.

Same goes for British tv in general especially drama. As mentioned on here numerous times i really enjoyed The Night Manager earlier on this year as well as War and Peace which made me finally decide to check out Downton Abbey (Yes i noticed your tiny little line earlier ) and i'm really pleased i did as i'm now half way through the second series and it's absolutely outstanding.

Drama, humour, thrills and it's so well written. Julian Fellowes has that knack that i've only seen from Russell T Davies previously, in that he can create a fully rounded character with just two lines of dialogue. If Nos is reading this he should definitely give it a go as i'm sure he'd like it. That complete box set on current viewing is easily the best tv i've bought this year. Yet like you, in my ignorance i've always dissed it as a series.

Yes I threw Downton in just to see if your awake.Im just not a fan iof any of these Marvel/DC universe,I fed up to the back teeth of police drama wether its uk or us and apart from Jeeves and Wooster hate period tv.Comedy is abit trickier,I use to love all those panel shows,but now find them tedious,Mrs Brown boiys I just thought was rubbish.Man Down with Greg Davies was very good,but sufferd when Rik Maysl died.Still Game the brilliant scotish sitcom came back with a cracking new series,after that its box sets from the 1970,apoart from One foot in the Grave,which I recently rewatched and enjoyed immensely then its the holy grail of comedy Seinfeld,box set is never far from my dvd player.I just do not have the energy to watch anything because these new series seem to go on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 4th December 2016, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Yes I threw Downton in just to see if your awake.Im just not a fan iof any of these Marvel/DC universe,I fed up to the back teeth of police drama wether its uk or us and apart from Jeeves and Wooster hate period tv.Comedy is abit trickier,I use to love all those panel shows,but now find them tedious,Mrs Brown boiys I just thought was rubbish.Man Down with Greg Davies was very good,but sufferd when Rik Maysl died.Still Game the brilliant scotish sitcom came back with a cracking new series,after that its box sets from the 1970,apoart from One foot in the Grave,which I recently rewatched and enjoyed immensely then its the holy grail of comedy Seinfeld,box set is never far from my dvd player.I just do not have the energy to watch anything because these new series seem to go on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr
Downton isn't quite like the Marvel universe.

I've just watched the second series of Jeeves and Wooster again. It's superb. You do know where the Bassets live, it's the same stately home as Downton Abbey ? Totleigh Towers, Bertie and Jeeves are regular visitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highclere_Castle
Old 6th December 2016, 07:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Fling in the Ring 1955

Fling in the Ring 1955

51GcAX7+o3L.jpg

In this short we see the trio train a boxer for his big fight,Chopper Kane (Richard Wessel),but the fix is in,and Chopper has to take a dive when he fights his opponent.In what crazy topsy-turvy world would anyone employ the Stooges to do anything but smack each other senseless let alone train a boxer. No curly as this was the era of Shemp before he was replaced by Curly Joe,now I have been a bit offish about the Stooges without Curly,but now I have watched quite a few shorts with Shemp,im slowly warming to the guy.At first I thought he looks to much like Moe,but after watching a few more short films with Shemp he definitely does grow on you,in fact he is probably my favourite Stooge after the great Curly.And while any Sam Raimi fan worth his salt knows that him and Bruce Campbell are Stooges fans,it's not until you watch a few of their short films do you start to see and hear a lot of the influences that have carried over into Raimi's Evil Dead films. Shemp goes a bit axe happy at one point,while waiting in the doorway for the bad guys to walk through,Shemp hits them over the head with an axe,knocking them out one by one,and he is using the sharp end to...OUCH.Still its a Three Stooges film so inevitably things go a bit awry for Shemp and the axe goes flying in the air and lands firmly on his head....OUCH. Colombia have released all of the Stooges short features,and for their age they look remarkably good in the PQ department,in fact there one of the best black and white releases I've seen in a while,no print damage or anything,certainly a lot better condition than a lot of the Laurel and Hardy prints available.

Old 6th December 2016, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Fling in the Ring 1955
Fortunately, this is available on YouTube so, thanks to the Inspector's glowing review, I'll watch it a little later this evening

Old 6th December 2016, 09:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Fortunately, this is available on YouTube so, thanks to the Inspector's glowing review, I'll watch it a little later this evening
I watched the 16 minute short and really enjoyed. I'm not a Three Stages fan – I haven't seen enough to form an opinion either way – but it was enough to make me want to check out more of their films, which I'll probably do over the next few weeks on YouTube.
Old 9th December 2016, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Holiday on the Buses (1973)

Holiday on the Buses (1973)

maxresdefault.jpg

With the package holiday boom of the 1970's in full swing,it seemed that the going abroad was no longer the prerogative of the rich anymore,and that anyone can enjoy the joys of the Costa Brava. Of course in this new era of liberation for the working class was reflected in the films of the day.So Carry on Abroad (1972) went to Mediterranean island Elsbels,Are You Being Served? (1977 ) went to the sunny resort of Costa Plonka, (check out those hilarious comedy names for the foreign resorts).Mean while the cast of On the Buses for there third big screen outing go to the sunny climbs of Prestatyn, North Wales to enjoy the charms of a Butlins style holiday camp. So what happens when Town & District bus company two best or worst ( Stan Butler (Reg Varney) and Jack (Bob Grant) ), depending on your view-point,employees get sacked for being lecherous incompetent dim wits,well it seems they get employed by a holiday camp to take their campers on holiday tours.But of course all this holiday mischief just gives the boys more reasons to chase skirt,blow up toilet bowls,trying to have sex on a choppy ferry and just generally annoying Blakey (Stephen Lewis),who by coincidence got sacked and ended up at the same holiday camp as head security guard. The sauce level is raised slightly with a bit of nudity (female of course,not sure the world was ready for Reg and Bob to do full frontal nudity at that time.) and of course the highlight is the scene where Anna Karen as Olive,loses her bikini bottoms in the indoor swimming pool,and we get the full shot of her naked bottom. Alas reports has it that it was a stand in bottom and not Anna Karen's rear,also this seems to be one of the few times of any censorship problems,the bum shot is usually snipped if the film is shown during the daytime.So how does the Buses trilogy compare to other such great movie trilogies? Is it better than The Godfather films,definitely,better than Star Wars yes certainly,more funnier than Lord of the Rings maybe not.But does any of those films have geriatric love-making or Arthur Mullard no.

Old 11th December 2016, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1984)

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1984)

Monty_Python_The_Meaning_Of_Life_2.jpg

rubbing the clitoris, sir? The good thing about a comedy sketch film is that you get more for your money,and If there is a sketch you do not like ,just sit there as another will be along shortly.And while when it first came out back in 84,it was considered not as good as previous Python movies,time has been very good and it stands miles better than most recent comedy efforts.And what I liked about it back then and still do was its gory attitude to comedy.Like the salad days sketch from there tv show which spoofed SAm Peckinpah,Meaning of Life is full of amputees,new born babies,severed heads,liver transplants And of course exploding fat men.
SERGEANT: Right, sir! I'll organise a party... right away, sir.
AINSWORTH: Well, it's hardly the time for that, is it Sergeant?
And while not every sketch works there is still plenty to enjoy,there are a few things that are fairly self indulgent,and could of easily of been edited out,where's the fishy or the French waiter taking us to his house where he was born or even death by being chased by topless women could of easily gone without much notice being taken.What you do get is the feeling that it does not matter where you are born ,live or die there will always be some sort of bureaucracy and maybe a musical number if we are lucky.It is also nice to see Terry Gilliams rather good The Crimson Permanent Assurance short film,which continues the look and feel of his film Time Bandits,put places in the rather choppy waters of insurance and finance,it so bizarre seeing a building literally up root it self and sail away,but the genius that is Gilliam anything is possible.
Since the chance of seeing another Python film is diminishing with the years,it was a pleasant surprise to see that Meaning of Life, for all its faults still held up today,and that Eric Idle's songs no matter what the subject matter,penis size or what have you are ridiculously catchy still.

Old 11th December 2016, 11:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This sequence was filmed only a couple of miles from me in Colne, Lancashire.

Old 11th December 2016, 11:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default holy cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This sequence was filmed only a couple of miles from me in Colne, Lancashire.

Are you the one in nurse's outfit???. Speaking all things Python,I just ordered this,not for the film as such but the cardboard castle......

918cWbkpYwL._SL1500_.jpg

Old 12th December 2016, 12:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cant go wrong with on the buses. Classic comedy even tho dated now.
Doesnt rely on real smutt and vulgar, done rudely but in best possible taste like the carry on films, todays comedies rely to much on vulgarity and swearing and ok if not done to ott. Humour at its best, old comedies like that steptoe and son are stuff you can never get tired of. And how comedies should be, kept simple but at times realistic .
And as for Monty python they are a world of their own, way ahead of their time that was a required and misunderstood taste in its day, and as time went by got the recognition they deserved and has become cult classic in every possible sense. And inspired a hell of a lot of todays comedians and comedy sketches, all of the monty python team are genuises in their own rights, eg john cleese in fawlty towers, enough said speaks for itself.

Like this? Share it using the links below!