March 15th

BEWARE!

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th April 2018, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default clear history 2013

Clear History.

Larry David looking remarkably like Larry Charles the writer, director, and producer. Is a marketing director for a new electric smart car.But manages to blow away a fortune by hating the new cars name,Howard.10 yrs later he has changed his identity and now lives on the island Martha's Vineyard.Unfortunately his old boss Jon Hamm as Will Haney buys a huge mansion on the island,not knowing that his old emplyee now lives there also incognito. Being this is a Larry David film,he does not stray to far from his Curb Your Enthusiasm persona,so its no surprise that it basically feels like an extened episode and with a couple of familiar faces from the show,were pretty much on familiar territory.But it also has a cast of some great character actors like Micheal Keaton,Philip Baker Hall and comedy marmite Danny McBride.Plus we have Curb regular J.B. Smoove.While not as caustic a comedy as Curb,Clear History has plenty of laugh out loud (see series 8 of CUrb) moments,including a great sight gag where a childrens swing collapse's and a running joke about who may of gave the band Chicago a blow job last time they toured there..What is also quite funny is you can pretty much see the future of the world covered in these shitty little electric cars,what is more emasculating than seeing a grown man driving these ****ing things,the future is smoggy drive diesel..

Old 8th April 2018, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Glad you liked Vic!! It's a wee gem in my book.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2018, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)

Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, fed up of their tiny New York apartment decide to up sticks and move out to the countryside and do quite literally what the film title states.

Grant and Loy are conned by every cowboy builder along the way as costs escalate with the dream home seemingly no nearer completion as obstacles of all kinds prevent it's build.

Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are beautifully suited to the roles with Loy proving that she wasn't reliant on William Powell as she creates a convincing double act with Grant. Whilst not always laugh out loud funny it is always amusing and i defy anyone not to chuckle when Loy recites her proposed colour schemes to the decorators.

A film i've seen several times on dvd and one i'll always return to.

Highly recommended.

Old 22nd April 2018, 06:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default net

If you got acess to Netflix then I can higly recomend these two stand up shows from them,Both these two shows are excellent and highly sweary to the degree.Greg Davies is probably the better of the two with some great stories about his parents and his old blue teddy bear. But saying that Gervais is pretty much on form and takes no prisoners when condemnig his critics and trollers and manages to make even the most taboo subjects funny.Highly recomended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ricky_gervais_humanity_xlg.jpg (99.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4ef0f1a10fcd6b02267afab7c5cf3e6c4b9c21d6.jpg (53.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 22nd April 2018, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I watched Richard Pryor: In Concert on there yesterday, absolutely hilarious from start to finish, and this was before he set himself on fire giving him plenty of material for his comeback shows
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Guest House Paradiso (1999)

While you would of thought that many of the people behind the ground breaking 1980's comedy team of the Comic Strip,would of given us something abit more alternative than just a British gross out comedy.I do feel that time has been quite good to Guest House Paradiso (1999),mainly because with the sad loss of Rik Mayal and the lack of Adrian Edmondson on our screens of late,this is better than nothing and alot more funnier than I remembered and better than alot of recent British comedy films that have had its stars jump from television to movie screens...And while I would of preferred a movie based on the show Bottom,what we get is something along the same lines but with slightly different names,Richard Twat (pronounced thwaite) and Eddie Elizabeth Ndingombaba,so the same but different if you see what i mean...When this first came out all those years back i was very disapointed indeed,it felt all abit like we had seen before on Bottom but without any of humour and lacking the spontaneity of there live shows which were probably the closest thing to a Bottom film when they came out on dvd at the time.But after all that said and done,I revisited the film just recently after having a Bottom splurge,and found that it was a lot funnier than I had given it credit for.The premise of the film is on dangerous ground for a start,I mean do you really want to do a hotel based comedy after Fawlty Towers,and the plot such as it is,well is pretty pants to say the least.BUT and its a big butt,its the duo of messers Mayall and Edmondson and there rather unique chemistry that safes the film in the end.And the film does up the violence stakes to the max,wether its nut crackers on actual nuts or tongs up the nose,it does not hold back on the slapstick front.But what made me laugh the most were some rather great gags like shouting Pheeb down the intercom every time they finished a sentence,or Eddie making owl noises or Richard answering the question "Where do your eggs come from? " with Ermm... Hen's vaginas? .Not a classic by any means but given a secound chance a film which will at least have you wondering how Fenella Fielding ever got involved....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (66.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 23rd June 2018, 10:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I too have grown to love GHP. Kudos!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st July 2018, 04:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bed Sitting Room (1969, Richard Lester)

A cast of stalwarts litter this most British of post apocalypses, all struggling to co exist. Micheal Horden staggers about being accosted by the likes of Secombe, Spike, Lowe and Pete & Dud. Based on the play by John Antrobus and Spike. An unique period in this countries cinematic history where projects like this (and the equally loony The Ruling Class) were seen as commercially viable ... whatever that means

[B]
Old 4th July 2018, 09:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

my favourite comedies of all time are the Carry on films, the Confessions films, Woody allen Play it Again Sam, Sleeper, Love and death, Bananas, Take money and run, Clueless, Romy and michelles high school reunion, 40 year old virgin and Mean girls.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!