Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2019, 05:24 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Adventures of a Plumber's Mate...(1978)
The third in this series, and as before Christopher Neil is Bob West sorry Sid South
He went on to become a succesful record producer, having hits with (amongst others) Paul Nicholas ('Dancing With The Captain') Celine Dion ('Think Twice'), Mike + The Mechanics ('The Living Years'), Sheena Easton ('Modern Girl') and Denis Waterman ('I Could Be So God For You')

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Likely Lads

Well over the last few months there have been some rather surprising blu ray releases when it comes to British cinema, both the Sweeney films, Man About the House and The Likely Lads to name a few. All came out as a bit of surprise to me, while I thoroughly enjoy all those films, was or is there a growing demand for mid 1970's tv shows that were transported to silver screen to be seen in Hi def..???..Case in point The Likely Lads film version, is one of the most successful attempts at transporting its characters from the small screen to the large, using all new material and using the tv show as a jumping off point instead of just re-cycling old episodes and tacking them together to make up the 90 minutes running time.(which is exactly what they did with the Rising Damp film version, a much maligned and criticised it was because of it, the death of Richard Beckinsale should of really put paid to any attempt at a screen version)…Luckily the cast of The Likely Lads were all present and correct at the time of filming, with only a few incidental characters going AWOL. (mostly family members who are alluded to but never seen)..As a comedy the film really stands the test of time, of course there are a few left over relics of the 1970s,but nothing that would offend, even the most hardened of our ultra PC police could take offence to..I'm big fan of this film, but the question remains, did we need a blu ray version,what's next a 4K transfer of the On The Buses trilogy??? Its not that I'm not a fan, of 1970s British comedy, its just where do we draw the line. Its not that there badly made, quite the contrary, its more the fact that were not really gaining much from watching these movies films in all there hi-def glory, lets be honest Britain in the 1970s was a wash with beige and brown, not to mention nicotine stained fingers...Is this Hi def for the sake of hi-def or is there a ground swelling for a George And Mildred movie restoration project in the offing. I was going to review the Network Blu Ray of the Likely Lads movie, well its Ace...I think I've lost my train of thought...
“In the chocolate box of life the top layer's already gone. And someone's pinched the orange creme from the bottom”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg likely-lads-the-blu-ray-.jpg (88.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 22nd May 2019, 10:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

I want to get that when I can afford it, love the show.
I think I've seen it all when people are complaining that they're making things look good!
Old 30th August 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Carry On Screaming! (1966)

How marmite is the Carry on Series,???...I suppose that if you grew up in the 1970's and 1980's,you would have been exposed..(literally) to what seemed like an endless repeat of the Carry on series, ether it was a bank Holiday, or Christmastime, it seemed they were on constantly. Sid James iconic laugh, would be ringing in your ears for weeks like suffering from tinnitus, or maybe it was Babs Windsor's bra pinging off in one of those Carry On compilation shows, that was your ever lasting memory, or should that be mammories.. Still love or hate or loathe them, they were there, a constant reminder that British cinema, good or bad we could always do smutty innuendo...My fondest memory of all the Carry On films, was watching Carry On Screaming!, on a late evening on BBC2,some time in the dark wintery evening, it seemed quite a fitting time to watch this so called parody of the Hammer movies...Im not sure what fascinated me the most, was it Fenella Fielding as Valeria Watt's cleavage, or the fact that Harold Steptoe ( Corbett )was no longer a rag and bone man with a nagging dirty old man, but now a police detective. But probably what stuck in my mind was the two monsters Oddbod and Oddbod Junior..( junior was conceived by mad police doctor Jon Pertwee as Doctor Fettle, electrifying a missing finger from big Oddbod)…Screaming is as silly as the series got, this was well before it got into series sexual innuendo later on, and there is nothing here that your granny could get offended about...Kenneth Williams is in full nasal mode,Bernard Bresslaw as Sockett looks remarkably like a certain character from The Addams Family, then again so does Fenella..There's plenty of familiar faces,Peter Butterworth,Joan Sims,Jim Dale and
Charles Hawtrey ….Its hard to imagine what it might of been like with Sid James instead of Harry H. Corbett in the leading role, for me its one of the enduring films from the series, and one of the few from the series I regularly re-watch...….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carry_on_screaming_UKquad.jpg (105.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 30th August 2019, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
How marmite is the Carry on Series,???...I suppose that if you grew up in the 1970's and 1980's,you would have been exposed..(literally) to what seemed like an endless repeat of the Carry on series, ether it was a bank Holiday, or Christmastime, it seemed they were on constantly. Sid James iconic laugh, would be ringing in your ears for weeks like suffering from tinnitus, or maybe it was Babs Windsor's bra pinging off in one of those Carry On compilation shows, that was your ever lasting memory, or should that be mammories.. Still love or hate or loathe them, they were there, a constant reminder that British cinema, good or bad we could always do smutty innuendo...My fondest memory of all the Carry On films, was watching Carry On Screaming!, on a late evening on BBC2,some time in the dark wintery evening, it seemed quite a fitting time to watch this so called parody of the Hammer movies...Im not sure what fascinated me the most, was it Fenella Fielding as Valeria Watt's cleavage, or the fact that Harold Steptoe ( Corbett )was no longer a rag and bone man with a nagging dirty old man, but now a police detective. But probably what stuck in my mind was the two monsters Oddbod and Oddbod Junior..( junior was conceived by mad police doctor Jon Pertwee as Doctor Fettle, electrifying a missing finger from big Oddbod)…Screaming is as silly as the series got, this was well before it got into series sexual innuendo later on, and there is nothing here that your granny could get offended about...Kenneth Williams is in full nasal mode,Bernard Bresslaw as Sockett looks remarkably like a certain character from The Addams Family, then again so does Fenella..There's plenty of familiar faces,Peter Butterworth,Joan Sims,Jim Dale and
Charles Hawtrey ….Its hard to imagine what it might of been like with Sid James instead of Harry H. Corbett in the leading role, for me its one of the enduring films from the series, and one of the few from the series I regularly re-watch...….
One of the best comedy horror parodies that never get a boring.
Old 30th August 2019, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
One of the best comedy horror parodies that never get a boring.
Got to be honest.

I saw it for the first time last year. Yes, the first time ever.

It was terrible. The only one worse than that in the classic Carry On 18 film box set i own is Carry On Emmannuelle.

I really wanted to like it as well. Watched it twice in two days.
Old 31st August 2019, 12:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Got to be honest.

It was terrible. The only one worse than that in the classic Carry On 18 film box set i own is Carry On Emmannuelle.

I saw Carry On Emanuelle once and I never made it to the end of that one
Old 31st August 2019, 09:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Got to be honest.

I don't rate Carry On Screaming either. One of the least of the Carry On's. I'm not bothered with it and have not seen it in years.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st August 2019, 09:50 AM
Cult Veteran

I only saw Carry On Screaming for the first time last year too, but I really loved it haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd September 2019, 09:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I don't think I've ever seen a Carry On film in its entirety...

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!