• 3 Post By MrBarlow
  • 5 Post By Susan Foreman
  • 2 Post By MrBarlow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2020, 08:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Charlie Chaplin short films.

I haven't came across a thread for Charlie Chaplin (if there is and i haven't seen it then i will go back to Specsavers and any mod can delete this thread), Came across a few of his short movies and forgot how much of a laugh he is. Post up your favourite Chaplin films.
Old 6th August 2020, 08:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One A.M. 1916.

A rich man goes home drunk and finds difficulties with the simplest of tasks.

I'm sure we have been in this predicament while drunk, can't find your key, trying to get another drink and the tackle of venturing up the stair case and finally going to bed can be a job in itself. Chaplin seems to take the laughter with some drunking escapades and make them funny, some of the stunts are funny and done well with his performance of timing that comedy's today don't really rely on it..except Jackie Chan who was inspired by Chaplin and Buster Keaton on comedy timing.

MV5BZGViMDg4ZTItYjM0Yi00ODFkLTgwNDktMzRkMWQ3M2NiYjQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th August 2020, 09:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fireman. 1916.

A young fireman who can do anything right becomes a reluctant hero.

This wasn't hilarious as his other short films but does have it's moments of laughter and basically lost count how many times there was rear kicks and a fire chief getting covered from head to toe with soup and entertaining two guests, a man who wants to burn his building down for insurance and offers his daughter to the fire chief who tells his men to ignore the bell only for a real fire to happen, either way you know it will be a disaster and Chaplin climbing a building was good to see.

MV5BMDg5OWI5ZGYtNWQ0Ny00OGJiLWJhNmEtZGU0MDlhYTRkNWIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzIwMTIwODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 6th August 2020, 10:44 AM
Cult Master

As mentioned in the 'transgender' thread, Chaplin was a very convincing female impersonator

'The Masquerader' (1914)

'A Woman' (1915)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th August 2020, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cure. 1916.

Charlie goes to a health spa with a trunk full of liquor and his antics cause chaos with other members and staff.

Great comedy sequence from the start with Charlie, a porter and a revolving door and to meeting a man (Eric Campbell) with a plastered foot and short temper. Edna Purviance plays the young girl who everyone seems to be attracted to and Charlie misinterprets Eric's gestures from Eric that were to be for Edna. More high comic is when Charlie visits the spa's pool area and fends of the masseur which results in comedy capers. This was well staged and performed brilliantly by those involved, next time you go to a spa always check the water.

MV5BOGE0Njc3MWYtYmE2Zi00MDlhLWIyMDYtNTQ1ZGYxNjI1OGI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th August 2020, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police. 1916.

Charlie is released from prison then swindled by a fake priest, he is met by his old cell mate and he persuades Charlie to burgle a house, Edna calls the police and stalls the two guys till they show up, however Charlie manages to charm his way out of trouble.

How Chaplin is able to create stories is amazing piece of creative as well as add in the slapstick comedy humour we appreciate, he added in shadows on the wall that was seen mostly in cartoons that even his old cell mate (Wesley Ruggles) got involved with unexpectedly which made it more funny. The second part within the house seemed to loose it's charm with the fun stuff after five minutes and became something entirely different then back outside it became back to being funny.

MV5BZjU1NGFhNjktZTA1Mi00MjkwLTllNjItMjMwMmI3NjJkY2E0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQxNDExNTU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg
Old 6th August 2020, 03:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
How Chaplin is able to create stories is amazing piece of creative as well as add in the slapstick comedy humour we appreciate
One of his most famous quotes:

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th August 2020, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Adventurer. 1917.

Charlie has escaped from prison and rescues a mother and daughter from drowning, who in return take him to their house for a party, only for a jealous love rival recognizes Charlie and calls in the authority.

This was the last of his pictures with a studio and what a way to end with his contract, all the great timing with the actors performance and comedy gags, at least i can see how to empty's someones wine glass into another but seems to be remembered as the one with the lampshade. Edna Purviance plays the young lady Charlie saves and takes a liking to him and Eric Campbell plays the suitor, unfortunately Eric died several months after this film but will be remembered for giving and receiving kicks up the rear end.

MV5BNjY4ZjJmZGQtNjk5ZC00MjQ1LTg3YzktZDc0ZmQ0OTAwZDViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!