Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Post The Adventures Of Ford Fairlaine

I must be one of the few film fans who actually enjoys early '90s box-office bomb The Adventures Of Ford Fairlaine starring controversial American stand-up comedian Andrew Dice Clay in the title role, also known as 'Mr. Rock 'n' Roll Detective'!

An early flop for director Renny Harlin, imo the movie remains something of an unsung action and comedy gem with a notable cast. Any other forum members agree?
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 22nd July 2011, 02:37 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I must be one of the few film fans who actually enjoys early '90s box-office bomb The Adventures Of Ford Fairlaine starring controversial American stand-up comedian Andrew Dice Clay in the title role, also known as 'Mr. Rock 'n' Roll Detective'!

An early flop for director Renny Harlin, imo the movie remains something of an unsung action and comedy gem with a notable cast. Any other forum members agree?
I have 2 copies on dvd. The US release for the special features, and the Australian release for the original artwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The US release for the special features, and the Australian release for the original artwork.
I also own the R1 DVD for the same reason and i did have the old U.K. VHS for the artwork.

An enjoyable little film imo with some amusing bad guys in the form of smarmy smoothy Wayne Newton and hard-to-kill Robert "'Ello, 'ello!" Englund. The Capitol Records building capture and escape scene is a good laugh too, "Say 'hello' to Liberace, a**hole!".

"My mother used to say "If you can't say something nice about somebody, make sure they're outta the God damn room!""
Old 23rd July 2011, 05:59 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As far as I'm concerned, the film is an overlooked gem. Englund is hilarious in the film and it has some great dialogue. "Conversation with Zuzu Petals was like masturbating with a cheese grater: slightly amusing, but mostly painful"

Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 23rd July 2011, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

This is a cracking films - I have a lot of time for this and the much maligned HUDSON HAWK too – they came out around a year apart and both tarnished producer Joel Silver’s otherwise stellar run at the box office.

ADVENTURES OF FORD FAIRLANE is great fun – the Diceman is well cast in the part and the cameos are a hoot too. Legend has it that Billy Idol was supposed to play the role of Smiley, which ended up going to Robert Englund after the rocker had a near fatal motorcycle accident.

Glad there are others who dig this film as much as me.

Like Stephen, I own the US and Australian discs too.
Old 23rd July 2011, 06:49 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

While Billy Idol would have been cool, Englund is superb in the role and I love Clay making fun of his MTV ban. Bloody prudes! They knew what they were getting.

Old 23rd July 2011, 06:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It has a great cast, but I have always been put off from watching it because of Andrew Dice Clay, who I loathe venomously.

The only thing I can bear him in is Pretty In Pink and he's annoying enough in that!
Old 23rd July 2011, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
While Billy Idol would have been cool, Englund is superb in the role and I love Clay making fun of his MTV ban. Bloody prudes! They knew what they were getting.

You're right - it wouldn't be the same without Englund, he's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
It has a great cast, but I have always been put off from watching it because of Andrew Dice Clay, who I loathe venomously.

The only thing I can bear him in is Pretty In Pink and he's annoying enough in that!
You should give this a go - Clay's a lot better in this than he is in his (awfully bigoted) stand-up.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Legend has it that Billy Idol was supposed to play the role of Smiley, which ended up going to Robert Englund after the rocker had a near fatal motorcycle accident.
You could well be right especially as Idol's terrific track 'Cradle Of Love' features in the film.

You also gotta love Ed O'Neill as the failed singer turned police Lieutenant who hates Ford Fairlaine with a passion for refusing to promote the former's awful single 'Booty Time' back in the day.

"Booty Time, Booty Time across the U.S.A.....Booty Time, Booty Time, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

I also like villain Wayne Newton's deliciously delivered line "I even p***** in the Punch bowl!" and subsequent reaction shot.

Also, the reference to The Flintstones in the form of the rings worn by Brandon Call and Robert Englund, "Yabba Dabba Doo!".

Tourist: "Excuse me, can you tell us how to get to Mann's Chinese Theatre?"
Fairlaine: "Go back to Michigan, a**wipe!"
Tourist: "No, no we're from Wisconsin."
Fairlaine: "Yeah and i'm from my dad's Penis! Get the f*** outta here!"

Lastly, the moment when 'Mr. Rock 'n' Roll Detective' gains admittance to Black Plague frontman Bobby Black's funeral:

Ticket tout: "Get those Plague invites here!"

Fairlaine pulls up in his car and the above seller tells him entry costs $300.

Fairlaine: "$300? You charged the chicks one!"
Ticket tout: "Hey, they blew me!"
Fairlaine: "$300 comin' up!"
Old 19th November 2011, 05:42 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The artwork for the upcoming German dvd of Ford Fairlane released in January.

Like this? Share it using the links below!