Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller

Like Tree23Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4th August 2020, 03:00 PM
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default I.D (1995)

Scrolling through Netflix the other week,as you do, not knowing if your efforts are going to end futile,and your free time ends up wasted on the pursuit of actually trying to find something to watch,and this little gem popped up. I thought Iíd revisit it as had fond memories. But something has been niggling at me, this film states it was released in 1995. Now although I feel old,Iím actually 38 and something does not sit quite right with me. It feels as if this film is far older than 1995. In wondered at first if Netflix had inserted the wrong date of release but after a quick google search I was proved wrong. Iíd of guessed after itís viewing,it was mid 80ís at least. Is it me,or am I missing something, or just being stupid? Was it made much earlier and never been released until 1995? I know the film was set in the 80ís but this film screams old hat as far as BBC production values, and that god awful blue title screen on the opening credits.
Again, is there something Iím missing here? Please put me out of misery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4th August 2020, 03:07 PM
MrBarlow's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Dundee
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaGore View Post
Scrolling through Netflix the other week,as you do, not knowing if your efforts are going to end futile,and your free time ends up wasted on the pursuit of actually trying to find something to watch,and this little gem popped up. I thought Iíd revisit it as had fond memories. But something has been niggling at me, this film states it was released in 1995. Now although I feel old,Iím actually 38 and something does not sit quite right with me. It feels as if this film is far older than 1995. In wondered at first if Netflix had inserted the wrong date of release but after a quick google search I was proved wrong. Iíd of guessed after itís viewing,it was mid 80ís at least. Is it me,or am I missing something, or just being stupid? Was it made much earlier and never been released until 1995? I know the film was set in the 80ís but this film screams old hat as far as BBC production values, and that god awful blue title screen on the opening credits.
Again, is there something Iím missing here? Please put me out of misery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is from IMDB
There is much debate about this issue amongst fans of the film, with many saying they remember it being filmed in 1989, and others swearing that they remember it being filmed in 1994!

There are, however, two pieces of evidence which clarify that the film was definitely filmed in 1994, and released in 1995.

Firstly, the copyright information at the end of the credits read "Copyright Parallax Pictures Ltd/Metropolis Filmproduktion MCMXCIV."

Secondly, during a scene early in the film, the Shadwell film encounter a group of Arsenal fans, several of whom are wearing the Arsenal home jersey from the 1990/1991 season. This shirt would only have gone on sale during the late summer of 1990; so the film could not possibly have been shot prior to 1990, meaning that of the two dates, the IMDb is correct. Presumably the DVD simply contains a misprint.
VivaLaGore likes this.
__________________
" I have seen tree's that look like tortured souls"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th August 2020, 03:14 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

I watched this the other week (on Netflix) for the first time since the late 90s, hasnít aged well at all, definitely looks like it was made in the 80s for peanuts
VivaLaGore likes this.
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th August 2020, 06:39 PM
The Reaper Man@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow
Default

Deffo the 90's.

A classic soccer thug outing second only to Bex Bissell in Alan Clarke's THE FIRM.
Demoncrat likes this.
__________________

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:12 PM
bleakshaun's Avatar
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burntisland
Default

one i will definitely have to rewatch, it's been so long since i saw it
__________________
It says here you're a HERETIC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:45 PM
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This is from IMDB
There is much debate about this issue amongst fans of the film, with many saying they remember it being filmed in 1989, and others swearing that they remember it being filmed in 1994!

There are, however, two pieces of evidence which clarify that the film was definitely filmed in 1994, and released in 1995.

Firstly, the copyright information at the end of the credits read "Copyright Parallax Pictures Ltd/Metropolis Filmproduktion MCMXCIV."

Secondly, during a scene early in the film, the Shadwell film encounter a group of Arsenal fans, several of whom are wearing the Arsenal home jersey from the 1990/1991 season. This shirt would only have gone on sale during the late summer of 1990; so the film could not possibly have been shot prior to 1990, meaning that of the two dates, the IMDb is correct. Presumably the DVD simply contains a misprint.

Thanks for the info on that. Glad I wasnít the only one that thought so. Thought I was going mad. Iíll sleep properly tonight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:47 PM
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched this the other week (on Netflix) for the first time since the late 90s, hasnít aged well at all, definitely looks like it was made in the 80s for peanuts

I think it aged pretty well. By that I mean I enjoyed it just as much as the first time I watched it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:48 PM
The Reaper Man@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow
Default

Shadwell Town
__________________

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:53 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaGore View Post
I think it aged pretty well. By that I mean I enjoyed it just as much as the first time I watched it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant in how it looked, still an enjoyable film
VivaLaGore likes this.
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4th August 2020, 07:59 PM
Andra Jai's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neath
Default

I always really like this one although I cant say the same for the sequel, even though it does have a couple of returning characters.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.