Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Fincher’s finest hour?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Fincher’s finest hour?

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2020, 12:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default THE DAVID FINCHER THREAD

David Fincher,one of the most talented directors around,his films are always engrossing and usually pack a sucker punch at some point....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fincher

Discuss and vote for your favourite Fincher here......

Remember.Poll is multiple choice as it’s hard to pin down one film.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A272DE54-C48B-4414-AF7A-8D6EB70ADCAC.jpeg (29.2 KB, 2 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 7th August 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 7th August 2020, 12:35 PM
Cult Master

No contest - 'Se7en' is not only Fincher's best movie, but also one of the best films ever made

It's very disturbing throughout, from the un-nerving opening credits to the final names on the closing credits

I saw this at the cinema when it was first released, and reviewed it for a local newspaper I was working on (I was at college at the time)

My review ended: 'When I left the cinema at the end of the film, I was uncertain about what to do. Should I go to the local pub, and have a stiff drink? Should I go straight home, and have a hot shower to wash the grime away? Or should I turn around and go straight back in to watch it again?'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 7th August 2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 7th August 2020, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ve seen all his films up to and including Zodiac (first time recently), and I’m gonna have to agree with Suzi, Se7en is one of my favourite films, an absolute masterpiece IMO
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th August 2020, 02:53 PM
Active Cultist

Se7en it's the one for me, it's an amazing movie, with amazing actors - everything on that movie is so perfect, I can always remember when they go inside the room and find the guy in bed.. so creepy.

Top 3

1. Seven
2. Fight Club
3. The Game
Old 7th August 2020, 04:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It's Se7en for me too.

No contest. None of the others come remotely close.

Like Susan i saw it at the cinema and it was quite simply an amazing, gripping and head ****ing experience. Gritty and scary stuff.
Old 7th August 2020, 04:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's Se7en for me too.

No contest. None of the others come remotely close.

Like Susan i saw it at the cinema and it was quite simply an amazing, gripping and head ****ing experience. Gritty and scary stuff.
That would have been a great time to see it on the big screen, one of our cinemas had it advertised then closed down and the new Odeon was due to open but hit a snag and delayed opening was very gutted.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep SE7EN for me as well.
Myself and Mrs Reaps (Then Miss Reaps) saw it at the cinema too.

I've been on a Fincher bender this weekend which explains my abscence on here.

Started with the superb Zodiac on Thursday night.Love this film,the performances are spot on,the setting,mood and atmosphere,all superb.
The problem I have with Zodiac is that there's no 'boot in the balls'.We know the outcome and it slightly detracts from what is otherwise a perfect movie.

Friday night saw another viewing of THE GAME.My second fave Fincher film.
One of the most original films I'd ever seen,I remember buying it on tape when first released.

Saturday night saw another viewing of SE7EN,a film (along with it's '90's sister,SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) I never tire of repeat viewings.
It's nasty,has likable heroes,a genius killer and the most almighty backhander across the face in cinema history! (Yes that includes you Malcolm Crowe and you Keyser Soze)
A masterpiece that even the talents of Fincher will never replicate.

The second half of the Saturday night double bill was ALIEN 3.
Now I don't actually know if this is Fincher's director's cut,but I sure as hell prefer it to the theatrical version.It's only one division below ALIEN and ALIENS,the other sequels,prequels,entertaining that they are are not in the same leagues.

So,Sunday midday started with FIGHT CLUB,a film which caused quite a stir along with THE MATRIX back in the day with the advent of DVD,the special features being somewhat groundbreaking.
Pitt,one of my favourite actors along with Bonham-Carter are superb,but are somewhat let down by the snivelling Norton.I suppose though,his geekish performance IS the alter-ego to Pitt's all-macho,tough as nails doppleganger.

Next we moved on to PANIC ROOM.
Why this hasn't been released on Blu Ray is baffling.However,it did look quite nifty on Betamax upscaled on a bd player.
Panic Room has had some stick over the years.Unfairly in my opinion.
For almost the duration of the film,a single setting keeps us thrilled from start to finish.With a minimal cast in place we care about Foster and her daughter AND Forest Whitaker's crim with a heart and almost feel sorry for him at the finale whilst Leto,Yoakum and Bauchau all get their just desserts.

Finally we had time for GONE GIRL.
At almsot three hours it is testament to Affleck and the superb Rosamund Pike that we are enthralled and the running time flies by.
Pike makes Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction look like Dorothy Gale.
When I first bought this,I thought it was going to be a romantic film....how wrong I was!

Next up is Benjamin Button,which I've not seen and the excellent GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

Don't know if I can bring myself to watch The Social Network as I can't stand Zuckerberg.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:09 PM
Active Cultist

I was actually quite shocked when I saw Alex Cox talking about Seven in the Cronenberg doc. He HATED it. I couldn't get my head round his argument. I think it's a masterpiece.
Old 11th August 2020, 08:31 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Really?
And yet he praises shite like El Topo!

I like Coxs’ views usually,but I have to disagree with him on that one!

Old 15th August 2020, 08:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ve just finished watching Gone Girl for the first time on Netflix, what a film! Absolutely loved it!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!