Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2010, 07:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Maybe they went all old school with this release?

Extra's:
Motion Menu
Chapter selection
Trailer
Italian language option

There's lots of dvd's like that in my collection.

I don't mind the lack of extras if the film's restoration is good.
Old 27th May 2010, 11:22 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

There's nothing lazy about working for a year to get such a release approved, tracking down the best materials and then painstakingly assembling the best version of the film out there - indeed nothing Marc Morris touches is lazy - it's usually always the best!

I don't see other big labels making the effort to bring such curious to the market - if this works - better things can follow and that is true of other labels that have joined up on here - with good feedback the titles and releases have improved.
Old 27th May 2010, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I love extras on these old classics, but the movie and transfer quality is the priority. So if the better looking version is lacking extras, I still buy it.
Old 28th May 2010, 01:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have to say that, on a personal level, I don't care if a DVD contains extras or not. The main thing for me has always been the presentation of the film itself.

Having said that, I do hope that the new R2 release features a transfer in the correct aspect ratio, rather than being cropped or expanded to fill the 16:9 frame. I believe that the Shriek Show remastered DVD features a transfer in the correct ratio.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:17 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
I made some enquiries with Optimum about the new version and how it differs from existing editions out there. They said:

"Our master is significantly different, being both longer and in widescreen while their long version was 4:3."
That is not right! The new SS print is in ´widescreen !
Old 28th May 2010, 07:35 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
That is not right! The new SS print is in ´widescreen !
Shriek Show released two DVD versions of Lizard, one of which included the Anamorphic abridged 'Schizoid' cut and the longer version which was in full-frame, which on the Shriek Show disc wasn't mastered well at all (very fuzzy). I believe Sam is referring to this particular cut of the film.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:38 AM
Cultist

Well, why would he refer to that version if he knows that SS re-released a second very nice uncut widescreen version?
Old 28th May 2010, 08:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The second version they released is actually a sort of composite of the US and Italian version and is cut.
All versions released up to now have been missing footage in some way or another.
(Thanks to amateur detective Ciavazzaro!)
Old 28th May 2010, 10:46 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The second version they released is actually a sort of composite of the US and Italian version and is cut.
All versions released up to now have been missing footage in some way or another.
(Thanks to amateur detective Ciavazzaro!)
Oh really? What is missing?
Old 28th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

This wat Ciavazzaro (who has been researching the different versions) has to say about the second Media Blasters release:

"Well now let's talk about the media blaster ultimate relase,that i considered the worst dvd version of la lucertola.
It runs 1.43 but it is an horrible frankenstein version,because it have in the same movie scenes from the italian and the american version,and this is not right,because the movie must be in his english version or in his italian version i think.
So:
In order to have the "uncut version" they take the scenes from the same sources that was used by general in Italy.
So there many cuts:
The 3 second scene with anita and florinda on the bed
The 3 second scene during the orgy
The bloodier dream sequence of 5 seconds
The scene in wich anita open the coat 15 seconds
The Sorel-Monti kiss scene is cut
Only
The blood dripped from the knife in the murder sequence 3 seconds,is restored in this version.
Then they had put the extended lesbian scene at the beginning that absolutely didn't appear in the italian one,and for the scene of the orgy they used the italian editing."

Last edited by bdc; 6th June 2010 at 01:18 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!