Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2010, 02:27 PM
Cult Rookie

Right i've got a reply from Trinity Films;

QUOTE; The film was shot @ 24fps but because of DCP it's showing @ 25fps.
It will be showing on 35mm @24fps at the Electric Birmingham from Friday.
The extended version (inc. reel 9) is showing Fri/Sat night at the Curzon.

*Note the mistake,it's actually reel seven*

So it sounds like the Curzon [Shaftsbury Ave,London] screening is a digital projection, but it doesn't explain this comment from the BBFC website;
QUOTE;The film's director has also stated that ENTER THE VOID should be projected at the speed of 25 frames per second,
rather than the more normal 24 frames per second.

Shame I can't make that Birmingham screening.
Old 29th September 2010, 04:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

interesting stuff.

I think the dvd/bluray release will be in 24fps hopefully. I did love the movie but yeah you gotta figure out your own interpretation of what it was about.

I thought it was just about Oscar dying and then you seeing what happened before and after his death. I never really thought about it anyway but yeah as it was my first viewing I did not think the last shot was the mother. That changes things, cant wait to see it again on Bluray and see what I make of it then. I dont think it will take too long to get released as its not a hollywood movie so they might release it in December around the same time as the French release.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th September 2010, 04:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Just had another email from my contact at Trinty Films,the long version of 'Enter The Void' is showing this Saturday [2nd Oct] at the Curzon Soho and the Rio Cinema,Dalston,in both cases it's the late showings only.I saw no mention of it on the Curzon website, so please double check with the cinema's before going.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwaygarage View Post
Just had another email from my contact at Trinty Films,the long version of 'Enter The Void' is showing this Saturday [2nd Oct] at the Curzon Soho and the Rio Cinema,Dalston,in both cases it's the late showings only.I saw no mention of it on the Curzon website, so please double check with the cinema's before going.
do u mean the longer version with reel 7 or the directors cut?
As rest of the world is getting it with reel 7 as the theatrical version and then there is a directors cut which I think is the one shown at Cannes. The French bluray contains both cuts of the movie.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th September 2010, 11:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
do u mean the longer version with reel 7 or the directors cut?
As rest of the world is getting it with reel 7 as the theatrical version and then there is a directors cut which I think is the one shown at Cannes. The French bluray contains both cuts of the movie.
The version being screened at the Rio and Curzon [Soho] is the long version with reel seven included.The version screened at Cannes 100% is NOT the directors cut as no credits were included and some of the effects were not 100% finished, it was a longer cut though.He has recut the movie several times but the version he is most happy with is the longer one,i'm pretty sure the 160min one is the version screened here,the BBFC seem to have made a few mistakes with ther quote about the length of that version.So I am led to believe the upcoming French BLU RAY will include the same two cuts as we have released in the UK,with the longer one being Noe's prefered cut, the only difference being the 25fps speed up due to digital projection,[the 35mm film version will be screened at the Electric Birmingham from Friday at 24fps]

Here's what Gaspar Noe had to say about the two versions on the IFC website *********WARNING SPOILERS********;

Inteviewer;A 137-minute cut of the film will be released theatrically here in the States, but there's a longer version (which I saw at Lincoln Center in August) which clocks in at 160 minutes. What compelled you to also assemble a director's cut?

Gaspar Noe; Actually, it's nothing like a director's cut. There's one cut that was my original cut -- that's the version that has been released in France and now in Germany, and almost all over Europe. But I signed a contract saying that if the movie went over 2 hours and 20 minutes, I had to deliver a shorter version. So I found a solution that we could pull out a whole 17-minute segment toward the end of the movie, and the movie would still work. I reedited the negative lab rolls in a way that the movie was made up of nine reels, but you could pull out reel number seven, and go directly from reel six to reel eight. Actually, that particular reel doesn't have anything controversial. It starts just after the abortion scene, and ends when the sister is throwing the ashes in the sink. Mainly what you miss is that whole part of the movie where he [Nathaniel Brown's Oscar] wakes up at the morgue and thinks he's alive, but they tell him no, you're just dreaming.

I reconnect with both versions. The shorter version was just a request from the American distributor. And in England, they're going to release both. They think it's maybe going to be more commercial, and also people might enjoy the reduced version and then might want to see the extended version, which is the original version, on VOD or on DVD. Sometimes having two versions makes it even more commercial because people who like it want to see both.

I know in France, they proposed to me, "Why don't we release the shorter version in France and then put the director's cut on DVD?" I said no, it's not the director's cut. But I want the two versions to come to DVD. And in France, it's the opposite. On the DVD, we're going to add the shorter version as a bonus.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The version being screened at the Rio and Curzon [Soho] is the long version with reel seven included.The version screened at Cannes 100% is NOT the directors cut as no credits were included and some of the effects were not 100% finished, it was a longer cut though.He has recut the movie several times but the version he is most happy with is the longer one,i'm pretty sure the 160min one is the version screened here,the BBFC seem to have made a few mistakes with ther quote about the length of that version.So I am led to believe the upcoming French BLU RAY will include the same two cuts as we have released in the UK,with the longer one being Noe's prefered cut, the only difference being the 25fps speed up due to digital projection,[the 35mm film version will be screened at the Electric Birmingham from Friday at 24fps]

Here's what Gaspar Noe had to say about the two versions on the IFC website *********WARNING SPOILERS********;

Inteviewer;A 137-minute cut of the film will be released theatrically here in the States, but there's a longer version (which I saw at Lincoln Center in August) which clocks in at 160 minutes. What compelled you to also assemble a director's cut?

Gaspar Noe; Actually, it's nothing like a director's cut. There's one cut that was my original cut -- that's the version that has been released in France and now in Germany, and almost all over Europe. But I signed a contract saying that if the movie went over 2 hours and 20 minutes, I had to deliver a shorter version. So I found a solution that we could pull out a whole 17-minute segment toward the end of the movie, and the movie would still work. I reedited the negative lab rolls in a way that the movie was made up of nine reels, but you could pull out reel number seven, and go directly from reel six to reel eight. Actually, that particular reel doesn't have anything controversial. It starts just after the abortion scene, and ends when the sister is throwing the ashes in the sink. Mainly what you miss is that whole part of the movie where he [Nathaniel Brown's Oscar] wakes up at the morgue and thinks he's alive, but they tell him no, you're just dreaming.

I reconnect with both versions. The shorter version was just a request from the American distributor. And in England, they're going to release both. They think it's maybe going to be more commercial, and also people might enjoy the reduced version and then might want to see the extended version, which is the original version, on VOD or on DVD. Sometimes having two versions makes it even more commercial because people who like it want to see both.

I know in France, they proposed to me, "Why don't we release the shorter version in France and then put the director's cut on DVD?" I said no, it's not the director's cut. But I want the two versions to come to DVD. And in France, it's the opposite. On the DVD, we're going to add the shorter version as a bonus.
ah ok thanks for clearing that up

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 4th October 2010, 12:06 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I enjoyed Noe's I Stand Alone immensely, so yeah, I'm very much looking forward to this too.
woah.. had completely forgotten about that film. It's well gritty. Made a real impact when I saw it.

Hadn't seen much about ETV but now definitely going to watch it.

Soundtrack seems like it will be good too. Some Thomas Bangalter and an LFO track on the clips I saw..
Old 5th October 2010, 11:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Right I've just got back from my third viewing of ETV, and some good news for Necromantik,I've just watched the film at the Watershed in Bristol and I swear it's 24fps version.I've seen both the long version and the shorter theatrical version in London at the Curzon Soho [both were digital projections at 25 fps], but this was much better, you noticed the difference straight away ! I was sitting closer to the screen,one row from the front dead centre, but this time I noticed a lot of grain [didn't see any in London],the strobing seemed normal [not sped up like the London screenings]the running time seems to tally with the BBFC for the theatrical cut at 24fps, and I noticed the box office were warning people about the strobing.So good news for Bristol shame there's only a few more days left.

I've been reading the comments over on the criterion forum, jeez there's some negative stuff on there,accusing Gaspar of being homaphobic etc, If a film maker listened to all this PC ministry of truth stuff nothing challenging would ever get made !

*****************************************Spoilers* ***********************************************

There's definetely some strange stuff going on with the brother sister relationship in ETV,Oscar's ghost goes into Mario [the nightclub owner] while he's making love to Linda [Oscar's sister],also the panty sniffing,Linda's kiss and many other things.I also noticed during the Love Hotel scene Oscar's ghost goes into Victor's father [?] who is making love to his wife [Sarah Stockbridge],who changes into Oscar's mother !!!!!!!!!!! Freud would have a field day with all this !
Old 6th October 2010, 11:12 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
the 25fps speed up due to digital projection
Can I just point out that this isn't true for digital projection via DCPs. DCPs run at 24 frames per second as they are HD content.

The only way the film could run at 25 frames per second via digital projection would be if it was shown via a PAL DVD.

Can you ask Trinity to clarify what they meant when the said DCPs run at 25 frames per second?

DCI specifications - the specifications laid out by the cinema industry for a worldwide digital cinema standard - specify that DCPs must be 24/48 frames per second.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Can I just point out that this isn't true for digital projection via DCPs. DCPs run at 24 frames per second as they are HD content.

The only way the film could run at 25 frames per second via digital projection would be if it was shown via a PAL DVD.

Can you ask Trinity to clarify what they meant when the said DCPs run at 25 frames per second?

DCI specifications - the specifications laid out by the cinema industry for a worldwide digital cinema standard - specify that DCPs must be 24/48 frames per second.
Hi Jonny, hope you're well.Yeah I think you may well have a good point there,but If you look at this quote from the BBFC's website;

ENTER THE VOID was originally classified '18' uncut for cinema release on 02/08/2010. The film consisted of nine reels of 35mm film with a total running time of 2 hours 40 minutes 49 seconds (projected at 24 frames per second). Subsequent to classification, the company informed us that they now intended to distribute the film without reel seven. Accordingly a shortened version of the film, omitting this reel, was classified '18' uncut on 12/08/2010 with a running time of 2 hours 22 minutes 50 seconds (projected at 24 frames per second). Other than the deletion of reel seven, the latest version of the film is identical to the previous version.The film's director has also stated that ENTER THE VOID should be projected at the speed of 25 frames per second, rather than the more normal 24 frames per second. If the film is projected at this speed, the shortened version will have a running time of 2 hours 17 minutes 7 seconds. The original version, including the seventh reel, would have a running time of 2 hours 34 minutes 23 seconds.

I don't believe the bit about Gaspar wanting the film projected at 25fps, but then It also doesn't explain why I watched It projected at the correct speed last night,so I'm still a bit confused ? I did previously put the question to Trinity Films and got the reply above,but I will send your question to them for clarrification.

The various running times should look like this **can someone please check the 25fps versions,doesn't seem corect to me,info from the BBFC website**;

UK/US Theatrical version at 24fps 142m 50s
UK Theatrical version at 25fps 137m 7s
UK Alternate Long Version With Reel Seven at 25fps 154m 23s
UK/US Alternate Long Version With Reel Seven at 24fps 160m 49s [As far as I know the film hasn't been shown at this speed in the UK].

The running time isn't that different on the longer cut,[approx 6min] so I think you can draw your own conclusions from that one ! Certainly doesn't seem to have been done to bring down the length.

Last edited by medwaygarage; 6th October 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!