Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Crime & Thriller (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=559)
-   -   Enter The Void (2009) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/crime-thriller/3202-enter-void-2009-a.html)

medwaygarage 6th October 2010 02:34 PM

Just got an email back Jonny,here's what he says;

The film played at 24 fps on DCP and 25 fps on 35mm. The internegative was printed at 25fps. We tried to play the DCP at 25fps but indeed found out that we couldn't. I think Gaspar shot at 25fps so that the film wouldn't be speeded up on video formats, which unfortunately doesn't apply to DCP.

**This might explain why the French dvd is being listed as 160 mins, which I didn't think was possible with a 25fps speed up**

So which version did I see last night ? Seemed a lot more in your face,with the strobing etc,I'm still confused,he does contradict what he previously told me but It could've been a mistake ? OK over to the tech team !

nekromantik 6th October 2010 09:25 PM

nice work medwaygarage
did u enjoy the Watershed?
You from Bristol?

I emailed them nearly a week ago about the dvd release but got no reply. Could you try and ask your contact if he knows around when will it be released on dvd and if there will be a bluray version.
thanks

medwaygarage 9th October 2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 106966)
nice work medwaygarage
did u enjoy the Watershed?
You from Bristol?

I emailed them nearly a week ago about the dvd release but got no reply. Could you try and ask your contact if he knows around when will it be released on dvd and if there will be a bluray version.
thanks

Sorry, haven't been on for a few days.Yes I am originally from Bristol [moved to London in 1990,moved to Tokyo in 2007,job went horribilly pear shaped,and now currently back in Bristol again,well that's the short version anyway !].Yeah the Watershed is a pretty good venue,tried sending an email asking about that screening of ETV,but no answer as of yet !

I think Trinity are releasing ETV next year on 4th April 2011 according to Amazon.co.uk on ,[only says one disc ???? surely a mistake??],I may pick up the French set just to be sure.

nekromantik 10th October 2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medwaygarage (Post 107322)
Sorry, haven't been on for a few days.Yes I am originally from Bristol [moved to London in 1990,moved to Tokyo in 2007,job went horribilly pear shaped,and now currently back in Bristol again,well that's the short version anyway !].Yeah the Watershed is a pretty good venue,tried sending an email asking about that screening of ETV,but no answer as of yet !

I think Trinity are releasing ETV next year on 4th April 2011 according to Amazon.co.uk on ,[only says one disc ???? surely a mistake??],I may pick up the French set just to be sure.

Ah kool
April, thats ages away.
I would get French version but I doubt it will have english subs even tho movie is in english I like my subs ha ha

medwaygarage 11th October 2010 12:33 PM

OK I've now got my reply from the Watershed, thanks for the information.It does look like I was right about the projection speed and length.The Watershed screening was from a Digital Projection so perhaps the Curzon one was 35mm ? But It definitely seemed different.

QUOTE;Many thanks for your query. Our projection team have been investigating this as we were initially expecting the 137m 7s version of the film and have actually been screening the 142m 50s - a digital version of Enter the Void running at 24 fps.

The frame rate of the digital copy is determined by the creator of the DCP (Digital Cinema Package) which in this case is Arts Alliance Media. Once the frame rate has been set by the creator of the DCP, we are unable to change it on site.

As you probably already know, it has been widely reported that Gaspar NoƩ intended the film to be shown at 25 frames per second, rather than the 24 usually used in cinemas. It currently seems unlikely that many cinemas in the UK will be able to screen the film at 25 fps. With Arts Alliance providing the digital version to cinemas throughout the UK, the same 24 fps version that we have at the Watershed will be being screened elsewhere too.

Even the 35mm version will be restricted to 24 fps in most cinemas, as most projection set-ups do not have the facility to run at 25 fps (We do have this facility at the Watershed for 35mm.) It sounds as if you may have seen it projected at 25 fps on a 35mm print in London...

The differing frame rate will of course affect the running time of the film:

•UK Theatrical version at 24fps 142m 50s
•UK Theatrical version at 25fps 137m 7s
•UK Alternate Long Version With Reel Seven at 25fps 154m 23s
•UK Alternate Long Version With Reel Seven at 24fps 160m 49s
END OF QUOTE

So there you have It, glad I caught that Watershed screening !

nekromantik 13th October 2010 11:21 PM

Kool
nice to know version we saw was at 24fps

Vendaval Este 2nd November 2010 08:15 AM

I saw this in a theatre not too long ago, it was amazingly made and intensely disturbing. I think it's best seen in a cinema, for the full effect of being subjected.

Also not for people who suffer from seizures!

nekromantik 3rd November 2010 01:22 AM

Both the Japanese and US dvd releases will be out in January.
There is no listing for a US bluray yet but Japan is getting a bluray with both cuts of the movie just like the French release.

Shame the french release has forced french subs as its a awesome set with 3 discs and booklet and its out next month!

McCrutchy 28th December 2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 110888)
Both the Japanese and US dvd releases will be out in January.
There is no listing for a US bluray yet but Japan is getting a bluray with both cuts of the movie just like the French release.

Shame the french release has forced french subs as its a awesome set with 3 discs and booklet and its out next month!

It seems the US BD will have only a 142 minute version. I might cave and pick up the French collector set, as all the video extras are apparently without dialogue.

nekromantik 28th December 2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCrutchy (Post 118591)
It seems the US BD will have only a 142 minute version. I might cave and pick up the French collector set, as all the video extras are apparently without dialogue.

yeah I think they have got the longer cut footage as deleted scenes instead of in the film which is kinda sh**y tbh.
I cant afford the French release or Japanese release.