Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Crime & Thriller (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=559)
-   -   The Shawshank Redemption Frank Darabont 1994 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/crime-thriller/5620-shawshank-redemption-frank-darabont-1994-a.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:25 PM

The Shawshank Redemption Frank Darabont 1994

5 Attachment(s)
God it's hard to believe it's been seventeen years since Andy Dufrense and 'Red' Redding graced our screens in what is IMO the greatest prison flick ever made.
Based on 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption', one of four short stories from the Stephen King book DIFFERENT SEASONS (Which also included the inspiration for Stand By Me and Apt Pupil),this now regarded classic contains one of the most satisfying finales of all time.

Flawless performances from the cast of Robbins,Freeman,Gunton and Brown only enhance things.It's a film I never tire of watching......

Any other fans?

Discuss all things Shawshank here......:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:33 PM

It is a great film adaptation of the classic King novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

It's pretty faithful to the source material too, although King's character of 'Red' played by Morgan Freeman in Darabont's film, is a red-haired Irishman in the book (hence the nickname!) :lol:

I couldn't imagine anyone else other than Freeman playing the role however, and is possibly his best acting role to date.

This was one of my favourite films growing up, and I still love to watch it today.

pedromonkey 12th May 2011 09:36 PM

i absolutely love this film, it's such a fantastic adaptation and Frank Darabont's best work to date. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are on fire in this, just memorable performances all around and even from secondary characters like William Sadler and Clancy Brown. I think this is imdb's no.1 film in it's 250 countdown.

Green Mile is also great but Shawshank just beats it....

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:37 PM

I'll let you know what the U.S. BD is like mate.:nod:

Yeah,you're right.Anyone else playing Red just wouldn't be the same.
It's a tough decision between this,Seven and Unforgiven as Morgan's finest,but I reckon this tops 'em.

Perhaps Darabont turned the Red character you mention into Bogs Diamond,head of 'The Sisters'?

antmumford 12th May 2011 09:38 PM

I love love love this film. I need to get it on Blu-ray so does anyone know if it's had a special release anywhere, not just a standard amaray case? Something a little more special and deserving?

PS. Do you mind not using Yellow text? I can't read it on my phone screen :lol:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 150299)
I love love love this film. I need to get it on Blu-ray so does anyone know if it's had a special release anywhere, not just a standard amaray case? Something a little more special and deserving?

Shawshank Redemption (Digipack) Region-Free Blu-ray Blu-ray Movie Online, Movies Shop, Film Plot Summary, Sales, Movie Trailer

the blob 12th May 2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

It's had a digibook release in the US but be careful if you order it as it's now also available in a standard case which was a more recent reissue.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 150298)
I'll let you know what the U.S. BD is like mate.:nod:

Yeah,you're right.Anyone else playing Red just wouldn't be the same.
It's a tough decision between this,Seven and Unforgiven as Morgan's finest,but I reckon this tops 'em.

Perhaps Darabont turned the Red character you mention into Bogs Diamond,head of 'The Sisters'?

Nah, Bogs is in the book too mate.

I think King voiced his surprise at Darabont's choice of Freeman for the role, but on seeing the film himself agreed it was a fine choice for the character of Red.

I'm still to pick this up on Blu, and have the UK 3 disc Anniversary Digipack release, which is a fine set. :nod:

Quote:

PS. Do you mind not using Yellow text? I can't read it on my phone screen :lol:

There's a US Mediabook available, ant.

http://a.dv1.us/p1/833/108833-d2.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 150301)
It's had a digibook release in the US but be careful if you order it as it's now also available in a standard case which was a more recent reissue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 150305)

There's a US Mediabook available, ant.

http://a.dv1.us/p1/833/108833-d2.jpg

SNAP! :lol:

EDIT: Also it's cheaper on Movietyme - £17.99 delivered.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th May 2011 09:49 PM

You know,I've got King's Different Seasons,but have only read 'The Body'.:rolleyes: