Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

I'll attempt and get caught up this week

Old 16th November 2015, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

BREAKING NEWS...BREAKING NEWS...BREAKING NEWS...

...Inspector Abberline dismissed by Chicago PD....

Nosferatu Holmes, a former colleague at Whitechapel PD, London, England, had only one thing to say to the press.

Quote:
No wonder really! What sort of police inspector can't tell if a guy's dead or just a bum down a back alley. Idiot!
Old 17th November 2015, 06:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Farewell, My Lovely (1975 film)

I do hope the estate for Raymond Chandler are getting all there owed,otherwise Phillip Marlowe will have to come around on lean on ya a little.Its quite amazing to think that when Robert Mitchum made this back in 75,he was there pretty much at the start of Noir and its heyday,obviously he had aged since then but none the less Mitchum still carries himself well and still looked the part.Jack O'Halloran as Moose Malloy is looking for his girlfreind Velma,so hires Marlowe,as usual the storyline soon expands as the plot-line thickens with intrigue and murder.
Unlike the The Big Sleep which Mitchum made with Micheal Winner this version keeps to the sleazy streets of los Angeles of the 1940's,so its fedora hats and non stop chain smoking while guzzling whiskey for breakfast,and that's just the women.
Directed by Dick Richards it does lack a certain style and sort of look likes a glorified TV movie,im not saying its badly directed just kind of lacklustre like he was just going through the motions.Surprising this is an early Produced movie by Elliott Kastner and Jerry Bruckheimer thankfully no shit gets blown up on this movie.
But its not all bad news as I said Mitchum is his usual self,we also have the sexy Charlotte Rampling as Helen Grayle,plus the not so sexy Joe Spinell and an early appearance of Sly Stallone as hired goons.Plus Harry Dean Stanton as rather inept detective.As always I have no idea how faithful this is to the novel but going by the internet it seems more faithful than the previous incarnation Murder, My Sweet in 1944 (although that's a more superior film).Its an interesting film,the early seventies did see a resurgence of 1940's art deco style which crept into music and films,so not a total loss just opportunity wasted me thinks.

out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23322_2.jpg (98.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 17th November 2015, 07:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

You've got to love Robert Mitchum.

The way he strolls along the beach in The Longest Day, cigar in mouth. Even D-Day was a walk in the park for him.
Old 17th November 2015, 07:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You've got to love Robert Mitchum.

The way he strolls along the beach in The Longest Day, cigar in mouth. Even D-Day was a walk in the park for him.
We tend to forget that actors like Mitchum ,Marvin and Jimmy Stewart were in WWII, I think that adds a lot to there coolness.

Old 17th November 2015, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
We tend to forget that actors like Mitchum ,Marvin and Jimmy Stewart were in WWII, I think that adds a lot to there coolness.
Wasn't Stewart a highly decorated pilot and lead over 20 combat missions over Germany. I think he was in the air force for years up until the late 60's if memory serves me rightly.

Have you seen The Spirit of St Louis? You could tell he was well up for that film.
Old 17th November 2015, 07:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Wasn't Stewart a highly decorated pilot and lead over 20 combat missions over Germany. I think he was in the air force for years up until the late 60's if memory serves me rightly.

Have you seen The Spirit of St Louis? You could tell he was well up for that film.
yeah WIKI says he actually retired in 1968 after serving 27 yrs.

Old 17th November 2015, 07:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
yeah WIKI says he actually retired in 1968 after serving 27 yrs.
Then there's Audie Murphy.

Wasn't he the most decorated US soldier of WW2? Receiving every single award for valor.
Old 17th November 2015, 08:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Then there's Audie Murphy.

Wasn't he the most decorated US soldier of WW2? Receiving every single award for valor.
From Wikipedia:

"Audie Leon Murphy (20 June 1925 – 28 May 1971) was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism. At the age of 19, Murphy received the Medal of Honor after single-handedly holding off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, then leading a successful counterattack while wounded and out of ammunition."

Very impressive.
Old 17th November 2015, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
From Wikipedia:

"Audie Leon Murphy (20 June 1925 – 28 May 1971) was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II, receiving every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism. At the age of 19, Murphy received the Medal of Honor after single-handedly holding off an entire company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, then leading a successful counterattack while wounded and out of ammunition."

Very impressive.
His film To Hell and Back depicts this where he plays himself. It's well worth seeking out if you've never seen it.
MacBlayne likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!