Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller

Like Tree908Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 4th April 2015, 09:52 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Frankie, just remembered I started this thread for noir and hard boiled crime fiction and films.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:05 PM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

MTDS - Yeah, the Raymond stuff - I've never read any, but I was aware of him "at the time" (I guess I mean around back when he did the Gallon Drunk collab). He always seemed like an intriguing character - sounded like he had a 'literary' career, kind of, went a bit underground in a post Aristocratic low level crim kind of way then resurfaced with that really bleak neo-noir quartet before he checked out. I've been meaning to get some of work for ages, but for some reason never have. Intrigued to learn about the potential TV adaptions, although that would make sense in a post David Peace kind of way.
(Good thread BTW)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:06 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Anyone read Andrew Vachss? The Official Website of Andrew Vachss : The Zero 5.0laf
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:15 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MTDS - Yeah, the Raymond stuff - I've never read any, but I was aware of him "at the time" (I guess I mean around back when he did the Gallon Drunk collab). He always seemed like an intriguing character - sounded like he had a 'literary' career, kind of, went a bit underground in a post Aristocratic low level crim kind of way then resurfaced with that really bleak neo-noir quartet before he checked out. I've been meaning to get some of work for ages, but for some reason never have. Intrigued to learn about the potential TV adaptions, although that would make sense in a post David Peace kind of way.
(Good thread BTW)
The problem I imagine at the time with the alleged TV series would have been some of the imagery, some very sexual and graphic. It would also be hard to capture the very British seediness of the books and the bleakness.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:23 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

This is a real good book on American hard boiled writers of the 80s when the genre had a bit of a resurgence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Y3ckSwdpL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (20.2 KB, 1 views)
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:41 PM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The problem I imagine at the time with the alleged TV series would have been some of the imagery, some very sexual and graphic. It would also be hard to capture the very British seediness of the books and the bleakness.
Probably end up quite diluted, as you suggest. But you know, 'grim seediness' is selling those novels to me. As well, prose is prose - you can never really ever adapt, because very often the feeling is in the texture of the language.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:53 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Probably end up quite diluted, as you suggest. But you know, 'grim seediness' is selling those novels to me. As well, prose is prose - you can never really ever adapt, because very often the feeling is in the texture of the language.
Are they still in print?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 4th April 2015, 10:57 PM
Frankie Teardrop's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Are they still in print?
What, Derek Raymond? Yeah, looking at what's on Amazon. A lot of his old stuff too by the looks of it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 4th April 2015, 11:02 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
What, Derek Raymond?
Bugger!!

I thought you meant Paul.

I'd just ordered a load of 70's editions of Mayfair so i could join in the chat.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 4th April 2015, 11:04 PM
Make Them Die Slowly's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Blog Entries: 5
Default

I might have to get them too. I had to get rid of all my crime novels, over 1000 of them when the boy MTDS was born as I had them in what would be his bedroom.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.