Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree919Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2015, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Frankie, just remembered I started this thread for noir and hard boiled crime fiction and films.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MTDS - Yeah, the Raymond stuff - I've never read any, but I was aware of him "at the time" (I guess I mean around back when he did the Gallon Drunk collab). He always seemed like an intriguing character - sounded like he had a 'literary' career, kind of, went a bit underground in a post Aristocratic low level crim kind of way then resurfaced with that really bleak neo-noir quartet before he checked out. I've been meaning to get some of work for ages, but for some reason never have. Intrigued to learn about the potential TV adaptions, although that would make sense in a post David Peace kind of way.
(Good thread BTW)
Old 4th April 2015, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

Anyone read Andrew Vachss? The Official Website of Andrew Vachss : The Zero 5.0laf
Old 4th April 2015, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MTDS - Yeah, the Raymond stuff - I've never read any, but I was aware of him "at the time" (I guess I mean around back when he did the Gallon Drunk collab). He always seemed like an intriguing character - sounded like he had a 'literary' career, kind of, went a bit underground in a post Aristocratic low level crim kind of way then resurfaced with that really bleak neo-noir quartet before he checked out. I've been meaning to get some of work for ages, but for some reason never have. Intrigued to learn about the potential TV adaptions, although that would make sense in a post David Peace kind of way.
(Good thread BTW)
The problem I imagine at the time with the alleged TV series would have been some of the imagery, some very sexual and graphic. It would also be hard to capture the very British seediness of the books and the bleakness.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

This is a real good book on American hard boiled writers of the 80s when the genre had a bit of a resurgence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Y3ckSwdpL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (20.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 4th April 2015, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
The problem I imagine at the time with the alleged TV series would have been some of the imagery, some very sexual and graphic. It would also be hard to capture the very British seediness of the books and the bleakness.
Probably end up quite diluted, as you suggest. But you know, 'grim seediness' is selling those novels to me. As well, prose is prose - you can never really ever adapt, because very often the feeling is in the texture of the language.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:53 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Probably end up quite diluted, as you suggest. But you know, 'grim seediness' is selling those novels to me. As well, prose is prose - you can never really ever adapt, because very often the feeling is in the texture of the language.
Are they still in print?
Old 4th April 2015, 10:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Are they still in print?
What, Derek Raymond? Yeah, looking at what's on Amazon. A lot of his old stuff too by the looks of it.
Old 4th April 2015, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
What, Derek Raymond?
Bugger!!

I thought you meant Paul.

I'd just ordered a load of 70's editions of Mayfair so i could join in the chat.
Old 4th April 2015, 11:04 PM
Cult Addict

I might have to get them too. I had to get rid of all my crime novels, over 1000 of them when the boy MTDS was born as I had them in what would be his bedroom.

Like this? Share it using the links below!