Like Tree919Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2015, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I dread to think what stills they captured...
Well put it this way.

It was painfully clear you'd want a big fire blazing for the rematch.
Old 10th November 2015, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Another one I haven't seen that will need adding to the never-ending watch list.

EDIT: It's already on there!
It's one you should just buy. You will enjoy it!
Old 11th November 2015, 07:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
B.E. was disqualified for grabbing below the belt.(or where the belt would of been)
Disqualified!?! I'm sure I remember you telling that move was a ten pointer?

Last edited by mr 420; 11th November 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11th November 2015, 08:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's more than a little weird that a discussion about nude man-on-man wrestling is followed by a review of a film called Dark Passage!

Come to think of it, is that what the Inspector meant when he said bizarre_eye was disqualified for 'grabbing below the belt'?
Old 11th November 2015, 05:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Angel Heart (1987)

Angel Heart (1987)
I'm pretty sure your all familiar with Alan Parkers film,I felt it needed to included because it does cross from film noir to horror.Ive always considered it more of detective thriller than all out horror movie and it does start out with the hard boiled detective on the trail of a missing person.Mickey Rourke's Harry Angel is pretty well moulded in the style of Mike Hammer or Philip Marlowe with maybe a touch of Columbo for good measure,obviously being set in the 1940's and 1950's adds to the feel of film and harks back to those earlier movies and gives it story more gravitas.Its based on Falling Angel horror novel by William Hjortsberg which ive never read but from what I can gather it is pretty faithful to the book.I think this is the kind of film that's splits horror fans,you either hate it or love it (I love it) especially when during the late 80's period allot of directors would call there film anything apart from a horror movie,psychological thrillers I think was the buzz phrase during this period.But ive always considered it to be more of a modern noir,with a supernatural edge.And cast wise you don't get much better than Robert DeNiro when he was good and ever luvly Charlotte Rampling,even Mickey Rourke (pre plastic surgery) probably hasn't done anything quite this good since.And as for Lisa Bonet,well we certainly see a side to her we never saw on the Cosby Show.Ill certainly never look at a chicken the same again.The film has its detractors,but its a stylish well directed movie by Mr Parker and I see the film as the The Big Sleep gone voodoo.

out 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel_heart_xlg.jpg (90.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg angel-heart-6.jpg (94.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg extrait_angel-heart.jpg (78.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_angel_heart_blu-ray1x.jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_angel_heart_blu-ray5.jpg (90.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 11th November 2015, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Angel Heart (1987)

out 5
A great left field choice Inspector. A film i really like but oddly don't own it on disc.
Old 12th November 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Chinatown (1974)

Chinatown (1974) Roman Polanski
Roman Polanski directs Robert Towne's script that tries its very best to recreate those thrillers of the 30's and 1940's and does it very well bar a few minor things,and having John Huston in your cast gives the film its link to that bygone era.Jack Nicholson is J. J. "Jake" Gittes a Private Investigator who's hired by Evelyn Mulwray to investigate her husband Hollis I. Mulwray chief engineer for the Los Angeles Water Company.The story and plot soon gets complicated as Gittes uncovers a mystery and family secrets that leads to tragedy.Compared to say other Roman Polanski films this is a pretty straight forward noir pastiche and million miles away from the likes of Repulsion or any of his earlier films.Jack Nicholson gives an almost reserved performance compared to his screen appearances,and looks very svelte and young.Faye Dunaway looks as always fantastic and makes for a suitable Lauren Bacall substitute in the femme fatale kind of way.There some notable characters actors on show Burt Young,James Hong,Bruce Glover and Diane Ladd and even Roman Polanski as the Man with Knife,who slits Gittes nose.Chinatown looks fantastic and overall feel of the period is very well done,stylish but never flash.The story un folds and a leisurely pace and gives it characters time to build.If your looking for a brash Sin City style thriller then look else where,but if you like a film with a good multi layered story then give it a try.

out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_chinatown_blu-ray_x01.jpg (85.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_chinatown_blu-ray_x02.jpg (88.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_chinatown_blu-ray_x05.jpg (89.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_chinatown_blu-ray_x06.jpg (82.4 KB, 2 views)

Old 12th November 2015, 08:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Angel Heart (1987)
I'm pretty sure your all familiar with Alan Parkers film,I felt it needed to included because it does cross from film noir to horror.Ive always considered it more of detective thriller than all out horror movie and it does start out with the hard boiled detective on the trail of a missing person.Mickey Rourke's Harry Angel is pretty well moulded in the style of Mike Hammer or Philip Marlowe with maybe a touch of Columbo for good measure,obviously being set in the 1940's and 1950's adds to the feel of film and harks back to those earlier movies and gives it story more gravitas.Its based on Falling Angel horror novel by William Hjortsberg which ive never read but from what I can gather it is pretty faithful to the book.I think this is the kind of film that's splits horror fans,you either hate it or love it (I love it) especially when during the late 80's period allot of directors would call there film anything apart from a horror movie,psychological thrillers I think was the buzz phrase during this period.But ive always considered it to be more of a modern noir,with a supernatural edge.And cast wise you don't get much better than Robert DeNiro when he was good and ever luvly Charlotte Rampling,even Mickey Rourke (pre plastic surgery) probably hasn't done anything quite this good since.And as for Lisa Bonet,well we certainly see a side to her we never saw on the Cosby Show.Ill certainly never look at a chicken the same again.The film has its detractors,but its a stylish well directed movie by Mr Parker and I see the film as the The Big Sleep gone voodoo.

out 5
The major difference between the book and film is that the book is all set in New York.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Berlin Express (1948)

During the opening credits, a notice reads, "Actual scenes in Frankfurt and Berlin were photographed by authorization of the United States Army of Occupation, the British Army of Occupation, the Soviet Army of Occupation."

Jacques Tourneur's post war noir is possibly the film that birthed the whole Cold War spy genre some ten years later. As much a documentary as a film, this docudrama's most memorable aspect is the views of the bombed out cities of Frankfurt and Berlin which create a suitably grim atmosphere in which this film of the disappearance of a German peace campaigner and the search for him by an assortment of fellow passengers from the Berlin express train he was travelling on, takes place.

Once all the events are uncovered we are left with a remarkably touching ending as the train finally gets to Berlin and the British, Russian, French and American passengers we have followed throughout all say their farewells as they depart for their relevant sectors of the occupied capital.

Well worth seeking out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gABTSoXFzKTvMM32Tmd366EUwDr.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 12th November 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 13th November 2015, 08:06 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Berlin Express (1948)
Does it have any similarities with The Third Man, another noir set in a major city in occupied Europe, and released the following year?

Like this? Share it using the links below!