Like Tree919Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2015, 10:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Does it have any similarities with The Third Man, another noir set in a major city in occupied Europe, and released the following year?
Not really apart from what you've mentioned. The fact Berlin and Frankfurt were bombed out shells and Berlin's occupation and separation certainly make Berlin Express unique in this respect.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not really apart from what you've mentioned. The fact Berlin and Frankfurt were bombed out shells and Berlin's occupation and separation certainly make Berlin Express unique in this respect.
That makes it sound even more interesting – I'll add it to my Lovefilm rental queue.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th November 2015, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A couple of British noirs, coming soon from Network.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dead-lucky.jpg (44.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg teckman-mystery-the.jpg (40.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th November 2015, 07:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
A couple of British noirs, coming soon from Network.
Soon enough for Noir-November?
Old 13th November 2015, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Soon enough for Noir-November?
For next years maybe.

February i think.
Old 14th November 2015, 04:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default L.A. Confidential (1997)

L.A. Confidential
Lets go back into the distant past 1997 to be precise,only a mere two years later we would be colonising the moon and wearing jumpsuits,but back to 1997,This was the year that the film Titanic swept the boards at the Oscars ceremony,now personally I could not give a f**k about the Oscars or other award ceremonies,the last thing actors need is more idiots fawning over them.But crucially for that year one film suffered the most due to that floating overblown pile shit of a a film,L.A. Confidential.LA was nominated for 9 awards but only came away with two.Kim Basinger for Best Supporting Actress and Curtis Hanson and Brian Helgeland for Best Adapted Screenplay .Based on James Ellroy's third book in his The L.A. Quartet the story is a wonderful intertwining web of characters who at first seem to be at odds with each other,literally in the case of Russell Crowe as Officer Wendell "Bud" White and Guy Pearce as Det. Lt. Edmund "Ed" Exley..The cast in itself is impressive enough,Kevin Spacey, Kim Basinger and Danny DeVito.are all top notch but it's Crowe and Pearce who steal the film.Crowe especially gives a moody and violent performance equal to the one he gave in Romper Stomper.LA is one of those movies that pop up every now and again when you least expect it,then what usual follows is a long line of wannabe films riding its coat tails,to me LA is just as important as the Big Sleep or Kiss Me Deadly,it defines a certain style of film making that was lacking up until then,As you would expect it has the feel and look of a film set in the 1950's and captures the period beautifully.If the Internet is to be believed Hanson made his crew watch several noir films from the period and Crowe apparently watched Sterling Hayden in Stanley Kubrick's The Killing to prepare for his role..I think the films marvellous ensemble piece and a worthy entry into the modern noir genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laconfidential4.jpg (85.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg L-A-Confidential-1997-90s-films-27780716-1280-720.jpg (56.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot-lrg-27.jpg (89.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot-lrg-28.jpg (85.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 14th November 2015, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

LA Confidential is a masterpiece in my opinion.

One of the best films from the last twenty years.
Old 14th November 2015, 05:12 PM
Active Cultist

Holy cow, just stumbled on this thread - you guys are talking my language here!

I've been watching mostly noir for the past two years and have amassed over 150 of them. Here's 10 of my favourites

1. Act of Violence - Robert Ryan as a dark avenger casting a shadow over Van Heflins sunny post war existence. The morality shifts throughout until the redemptive climax deals the final hand.

2. The Man Who Cheated Himself - Great mix of early 40s visual noir and the later documentary style. The extended closer is tense and brilliant.

3. Border Incident - Some truly hellish vignettes illuminate this cautionary tale of people smuggling over the Tex-Mex border. Check that sucking pit! And Charles McCraws unbeatable thuggish mug lit up like a Durch master painting.

4. Nora Prentiss - Few noirs put their protagonist through a ride as tough as this - dude even loses his face. Classic one way ticket to doomsville, beautifully shot.

5. Farewell My Lovely - the 70s one starring the greatest noir King of them all - Robert Mitchum. I love the decayed, end of the road feel that permeates this movie - for my money one of the great Chandler adaptations. For a guilty pleasure try Michael Winners take on The Big Sleep - film noir meets sleazy British trash - it's a road accident you can't take your eyes off.

6. The Crack-Up - woozy what the hell art world shenanigans - lean, twisty and Clair Trevor gives it heft. Underrated little gem.

7. Phantom Lady - I love Ella Raines and she's never better than here - a doughty secretary plunging through the noir underworld to clear her boss. Among the gargoyles she encounters a demonic Elisha Cook Jnr.

8. The Devil Thumbs a Ride - I love, love, loved this lean little piece of twisted trash. Lawrence Tierney is pure implacable evil, but it all feels fun rather than a gruelling ordeal (cf The Hitchhiker). Seek this one out.

9. The Line-Up - The fate of The Man is one of my favourite scenes in all noir. This starts off slow but gathers speed across a succession of memorable set pieces ending in a great car chase. Don't miss the Ellroy/Mueller commentary - an all time classic.

10. Hangover Square - just too late for a bonfire night viewing - if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about! Laird Cregar, Linda Darnell, gothic atmospherics and a drop dead brilliant soundtrack - a real classic.

Last edited by Handyman Joe; 14th November 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 14th November 2015, 05:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Holy cow, just stumbled on this thread - you guys are talking my language here!
Welcome to the thread Joe.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 14th November 2015, 06:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Welcome to the thread Joe.
Cheers mate, my internet is crap just now but I'll try and chip in as much as possible. To watch list includes Possessed, They Made Me a Fugitive, Human Desire and I Died a Thousand Times - expect my thoughts on these soon

Like this? Share it using the links below!