LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2015, 06:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ordered – many thanks! I've wanted this for for a while.
Old 11th December 2015, 10:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Pickup on South Street (1953)

A pickpocket unwittingly lifts a message destined for enemy agents and becomes a target for a Communist spy ring.

A solid noir-thriller from Fuller which blends gritty violence with a criminally-entwined romance. The dialogue really adds a lot to the plot here with plenty of slang that will have you reaching for your Noir Thesaurus. The cast are all believable in their various roles and Jean Peters simmers as the femme fatale caught in between Widmark's pickpocket and the Commies who hired her. As Noir goes, this is upper tier and one of my viewing high-lights of the year so far.

81/100
Old 11th December 2015, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Glad you enjoyed it. I've banged on about it so much.

Didn't you just feel for Thelma Ritter?
Old 11th December 2015, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I've banged on about it so much.

Didn't you just feel for Thelma Ritter?
Definitely.
SPOILER:
Her whole raison d'etre seemingly being getting enough money for a decent burial for when she died, later juxtaposed by her moving and desperate speech to her assassin about being tired of her repetitive life and miserably imploring him to just 'blow her head off' was emotional stuff.
Old 12th December 2015, 12:14 PM
Active Cultist

M (1951) - Finally caught Losey's version of M and it didn't disappoint - whereas Lang's original had it's roots in silent cinema and expressionism, this one is pure noir. There's some amazing imagery - one scene of the killer (superbly anonymous) writhing on his bed, his head completely black with dense shadow is worthy of the original. The chase sequence involves a trip to a mannequin store, the sexless dolls an effective visualisation of the predators mindset. Couple of noir regs pop up - Raymond Burr and Steve Brodie. Scenes of child hunting are really chilling and, yes, that balloon puts in an appearance. Only jarring note for me - the trial scene feels a little forced - I know it had to be there but it stretches credibility these hard nosed hoods would let it happen, a pitfall of adaptation I guess. Original is a masterpiece, this is a solid movie with flashes of genius - here's hoping for a cleaned up official release at some point.
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Flicker Alley, in partnership with the Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive, has announced that it will release on Blu-ray two newly-restored noir classics: Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run. The two releases will be available for purchase on April 12.

Too Late for Tears (1949)

Rescued and preserved after a five-year crusade by the Film Noir Foundation, this 1949 classic is at long last available in a clean digital version, transferred from a 35mm print painstakingly restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive.

When a pair of film noir icons like Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea collide, sparks are sure to fly. Jane Palmer (Scott) and her husband Alan (Arthur Kennedy) mysteriously have $60,000 literally dropped in their laps. The circumstances seem mighty suspicious to Alan, who wants to turn the money over to the police. But in a materialistic rapture, Jane won't let it go. She doesn't care where it came from, or what danger might ensue-not if it will bring her the luxury she craves. Enter shady Danny Fuller (Duryea, as cocky and menacing as ever), who claims the money belongs to him. Let the games begin! Roy Huggins' snappy script (adapted from his novel) is a complex, breezy and black-hearted homage to James M. Cain and Raymond Chandler. Rapacious housewife Jane Palmer is one of the juiciest female villains in Hollywood history, and Liz Scott's best role ever.

Flicker Alley is excited to present this world-premiere Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition of Too Late For Tears, restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive, and passionately championed by the Film Noir Foundation, with special thanks to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Together with Woman on the Run, this film marks the first collaboration between Flicker Alley and the Film Noir Foundation.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary Track - By writer, historian, and film programmer Alan K. Rode.
"Chance Of A Lifetime: The Making of Too Late For Tears" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation and featuring Eddie Muller, Kim Morgan, and Julie Kirgo, this mini-doc offers a behind-the-scenes examination of the film's original production.
"Tiger Hunt: Restoring Too Late For Tears" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this is a chronicle of the multi-year mission to rescue this "lost" noir classic.
"Noir City" - A short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco's historic Castro Theatre.
24-Page Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs, poster art, original lobby cards, and an essay by writer and noir-expert Brian Light.

Woman on the Run (1950)

Thanks to the efforts of the Film Noir Foundation, this terrific 1950 film noir, the only American print of which was burned in a 2008 fire, has been rescued and restored to its original luster. Join the wild chase around San Francisco as a man goes into hiding after witnessing a gangland execution. Police bird-dog his wife Eleanor (Ann Sheridan), certain she'll lead them to her husband, whose testimony against the killer could bring down a crime kingpin. But Eleanor and her hubbie are Splitsville-she never wants to see him again. When roguish newspaperman Danny Legget (Dennis O'Keefe) charms Eleanor into helping him track down the hidden husband-there are unexpected, stunning, and poignant results. This nervy, shot-on-location thriller is a witty and wise look at the travails of romance and marriage, and perhaps the best cinematic depiction ever of mid-20th century San Francisco.

Flicker Alley is honored to present this world-premiere Blu-ray/DVD dual-format edition of Woman on the Run, completely restored by the Film Noir Foundation in conjunction with UCLA Film & Television Archive, with special thanks to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's Charitable Grant Trust and the British Film Institute. Together with Too Late For Tears, this film marks the first collaboration between Flicker Alley and the Film Noir Foundation.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary Track - By author, historian, and "noirchaelogist" Eddie Muller.
"Love is a Rollercoaster: Woman on the Run Revisited" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this mini-doc offers a look into the making of the film, from script to noir classic.
"A Wild Ride: Restoring Woman on the Run" - Produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation, this stranger-than-fiction document of the film's restoration is a thriller in itself.
"Noir City" - A short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco's historic Castro Theatre.
24-Page Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs, poster art, original lobby cards, and an essay by the one and only Eddie Muller.
Old 26th January 2016, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default D.O.A 1950

Doa (1950)
In 2006 Alexander Litvinenko was killed by radioactive polonium-210, believed to have been administered in a cup of tea,by a couple of KGB agents .Now this in itself would make a great thriller,it has all the hallmarks of the start of a great cold war spy thriller,well it would of been,if it had not already been done some 46 years previously in the film D.O.A. (1950).
Frank Bigelow (Edmond O'Brien) has been poisoned by some luminous "luminous toxin" substance that has been put into a drink at a nightclub.The clever angle is that Bigelow knows that he's been poisoned after visiting two doctors,and the diagnose is that he has been murdered.Now the trick is to find out who and why this has happened to Bigelow before he dies. DOA is a pretty sombre affair,which makes some of the earlier scenes abit odd,Bieglow decides to go on vacation in San Francisco,leaving his girlfriend Paula Gibson (Pamela Britton) behind,which does not go down to well with her,while in San Francisco every time Bieglow see's an attractive lady,there was this cheesy wolf whistle on the soundtrack,at first I thought it was my hearing playing up,but when I re-watched the scenes again it was still there,kind of whimsical for such a down beat movie.The reason for the poisoning is all abit long winded and a little bit hard to believe,but I suppose people have been murdered for less.Edmond O'Brien who I fondly remember as Freddie Sykes in Sam Peckinpahs absolutely dynamite The Wild Bunch,is ok here,but doesn't really convey allot of emotion considering he has been poisoned and is dieing.The real star of the film is the story,you wonder why no one had thought of it before (perhaps they had) its a cool gripping tale,it kind of reminded of an EC comic story,and would make a good horror story if filmed the right way.I would give the film higher praise but the print I watched was a little on the soft side picture quality wise,reason being it languishes in public domain hell at the moment,so hopefully we will see a better print one day.Also look out for earlier screen role for that alligator loving Neville Brand as a rather nasty heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOA1950.jpg (83.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 26th January 2016, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I haven't seen the original DOA but the remake is perfectly watchable.
Old 29th January 2016, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Big Combo

The Big Combo

Anybody have any views? reviews? or info on dis one ?

81d2tnoyQ8L._SL1500_.jpg

Old 29th January 2016, 04:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Never seen it and don't know it, but i think i ate one at Burger King last year.

Like this? Share it using the links below!