Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2012, 07:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Get on with it!

To be absolutely blunt, you're worried about your enormous hooter.

I'll cut your throat if you don't tell me where I can buy that shirt.

---

More strange things in tomorrow's review!

Der rote Kreis aka The Crimson Circle. Review out tomorrow. On this thread.

Greetings!
Old 8th April 2012, 06:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's a shame, but there's no second review today. I hope I'll be able to post two reviews tomorrow evening, though.

In the meantime, have a look at all eight German Edgar Wallace boxsets - with the faces of famous actors of the series on the spine.

Edgar Wallace Edition 1; four films; 1959-1961; Eva Anthes
Edgar Wallace Edition 2; four films; 1961; Siegfried Lowitz

Edgar Wallace Edition 3; four films; 1962-1963; Joachim Fuchsberger
Edgar Wallace Edition 4; four films; 1963-1964; Gert Fröbe

Edgar Wallace Edition 5; four films; 1964-1965; Karin Dor
Edgar Wallace Edition 6; four films; 1965-1967; Klaus Kinski

Edgar Wallace Edition 7; four films; 1967-1968; Heinz Drache
Edgar Wallace Edition 8; five films; 1968-1971; Eddi Arent

And here's how all eight boxes look next to each other:

Greetings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (80.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (78.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (77.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (71.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01390.JPG (72.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 8th April 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10th April 2012, 08:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

#2 Der rote Kreis aka The Crimson Circle

Released in 1959
Directed by Jürgen Roland
Starring Renate Ewert, Klausjürgen Wussow, Karl Saebisch, Eddi Arent, Ernst Fritz Fürbringer, and Fritz Rasp

From the very beginning, the producers from ‘Constantin Film’ planned to shoot at least two Wallace movies. So it was no surprise that, after the huge success of the series’ first flick (Der Frosch mit der Maske), a second movie would follow pretty quickly. Some actors from the first film also appear in the second: Fritz Rasp and Eddi Arent played other characters, whilst Ernst Fritz Fürbringer reprised his role as the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Archibald Morton. The main parts, however, were all played by new actors.

A strange series of murders keeps London in suspense. Rich citizens are the victims of a professional blackmailer. Everybody contacting the police or refusing payment gets killed; a red circle on parchment paper is found on every scene of crime. Are there any links between current events and an unsuccessful execution eleven years ago? Inspector Parr (Karl Saebisch) needs the help of a private investigator (Klausjürgen Wussow).

This is the second Wallace film, and the we already get a new inspector. This time it’s Karl Saebisch. His inspector is different from Lowitz’ inspector. Inspector Parr is the prototype of a classic investigator. He’s clever, but not cocky; he’s old, but not senile; his retirement is in sight, but his motivation’s still there. Totally unpretentious, but confident and credible. If your into classic detective characters, you’ll love him, and so do I. Unfortunately, this is the only time he appears as a detective – he has a small role in the next Wallace, though.
The rest of the cast is fine, too. Renate Ewert doesn’t look too bad, and she’s a pretty good actress. (Her private life’s a very sad story. She had an addiction to pills, and died of pills and alcohol in 1966. Her father and her mother could not overcome the loss and comitted suicide in 1967 and 1969 respectively. )
As for the story: one of the best of the whole series. That’s why I won’t go into any details. Just let me tell you this: it has quite a few twists, a great amount of suspense, and some spooky scenes as well. It’s also one of the best roles of Fritz Rasp. Don’t miss out on this one!

One of the finest films of the whole series. A must-see.

**** out of ****

Der rote Kreis aka The Crimson Circle. Universum Film Germany DVD. German and English soundtrack, German subtitles.
Available as a single DVD or in the Edgar Wallace Edition 1 (1959-1961, four films).

More film stills here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plakat-Kreis.jpg (26.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00059.jpg (29.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00202.jpg (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00233.jpg (41.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00290.jpg (48.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00313.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg edgar_wallace_der_rote_kreis.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 41I5CUYsYhL.jpg (24.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10th April 2012, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great review Prince, plus those sets look fantastic - are they English language friendly?
Old 10th April 2012, 08:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great review Prince, plus those sets look fantastic - are they English language friendly?
Thanks!
Generally speaking - yes. Most of them have English language and English subs.

I'll post a list with all films and technical specs later tonight!

Greetings!
Old 10th April 2012, 08:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Thanks!
Generally speaking - yes. Most of them have English language and English subs.

I'll post a list with all films and technical specs later tonight!

Greetings!
Much appreciated!
Old 10th April 2012, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Edgar Wallace Edition 1 (1959-1961) contains:
- Der Frosch mit der Maske (Face of the Frog) – 1.33:1, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Der rote Kreis (The Crimson Circle) – 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Die Bande des Schreckens (Hand of the Gallows) – 1.33:1, black and white - German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

- Der grüne Bogenschütze (The Green Archer) – 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 2 (1961) contains:
- Die toten Augen von London (Dead Eyes of London) – 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Das Geheimnis der gelben Narzissen (The Devil’s Daffodil) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Der Fälscher von London (The Forger of London) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Die seltsame Gräfin (The Strange Countess) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 3 (1962-1963) contains:
- Das Rätsel der roten Orchidee (Secret of the Red Orchid) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Die Tür mit den 7 Schlössern (The Door With Seven Locks) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Das Gasthaus an der Themse (The Inn On The River) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Der Zinker (The Squeaker) – 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 4 (1963-1964) contains:
- Der schwarze Abt (The Black Abbott) - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Das indische Tuch (The Indian Scarf) - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Zimmer 13 (Room 13) - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Der Hexer (The Mysterious Magician) - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 5 (1964-1965) contains:
- Die Gruft mit dem Rätselschloss (Curse of the Hidden Vault) - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Wartezimmer zum Jenseits (Mark of the Tortoise) * - 2.35:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

- Das Verrätertor (Traitor’s Gate) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Neues vom Hexer (Again the Ringer) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German soundtrack, German subtitles
* not part of the official Constantin Edgar Wallace, but by the director of many Wallace films, Alfred Vohrer

Edgar Wallace Edition 6 (1965-1967) contains:
- Der unheimliche Mönch (The Sinister Monk) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, black and white – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Das Geheimnis der weißen Nonne (The Trygon Factor) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Der Bucklige von Soho (The Hunchback of Soho) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Die blaue Hand (Creature with the Blue Hand) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German soundtrack, German subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 7 (1967-1968) contains:
- Der Mönch mit der Peitsche (The College Girl Murders) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Der Hund von Blackwood Castle (The Monster of Blackwood Castle) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

- Im Banne des Unheimlichen (The Hand of Power) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Der Gorilla von Soho (Gorilla Gang) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

Edgar Wallace Edition 8 (1968-1971) contains:
- Der Mann mit dem Glasauge (Terror on Half Moon Street) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Das Gesicht im Dunkeln (Double Face) - 1.85:1 anamorphic, colour – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Die Tote aus der Themse (Angel of Terror) - 1.66:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles
- Das Geheimnis der grünen Stecknadel (What Have You Done To Solange?) – 2.35:1 anamorphic, colour – German soundtrack, German subtitles
- Das Rätsel des silbernen Halbmonds (Seven Blood-Stained Orchids) – 2.35:1 anamorphic, colour – German and English soundtrack, German and English subtitles

22 out of 33 have English soundtrack and English subtitles.

Greetings!
Old 10th April 2012, 09:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Thanks Prince!
Old 15th May 2012, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
As you all know, my last entry is from 14 February. A review thread's only interesting if it is kept alive by its founder. That's something I cannot guarantee at the moment.

For the next few months, I'm at university most of the time - whilst my movie collection is at home.

What's more, I'm also not very keen on watching movies at the moment - only god knows why.

I thought it would be fair to let you know that you shouldn't expect any news here in the near future.

However, I'd love Dem to post some lobby cards and stills from time to time. I like them very much, and they'll remind me that I should come back to this thread some time in the future again.

Greetings!
The same goes for this thread, unfortunately.

I'm terrible sorry, but I don't want to make promises that I cannot keep.

Greetings!
Old 4th January 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Here's your prescription - two of these suppositories a day!

My brain hurts!

Come on! Lick my scar!

This is an emergency! We've run out of Whisky!

---

Das Gasthaus an der Themse aka The Inn on the River. Review out this week. On this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00007.jpg (50.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00074.jpg (37.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00104.jpg (50.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00216.jpg (35.6 KB, 34 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!