LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
This is a cracking little film in the vein of they don't make them like that anymore.
They certainly don't.
The grubby London locations are superb as is the film's underlying wit.

Stacy Keach,Carol White,David Hemmings,Alan Ford,Edward Fox,Stephen Boyd and even Freddie Starr are all superb.

It'd be interesting to hear the thoughts of Apted,Fox and Keach now.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:41 PM
Ex-member

it would be really great if there was a sp ed of this brilliant Brit thriller w/Apted and Keach commentary
got the excellent Warner Archives dvdr
but a sp ed....
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
it would be really great if there was a sp ed of this brilliant Brit thriller w/Apted and Keach commentary
got the excellent Warner Archives dvdr
but a sp ed....
Given that the BFI has already released THE DEVILS and REVOLUTION (both Warner titles) it would be lovely to see this and SITTING TARGET appear in the Flipside collection.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

ABSOLUTELY!

I was watching Bram Stoker's Dracula on Blu Ray recently and was surprised to see Michael Apted's name there as executive producer!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Apted still makes films, notably Bond flick THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah that's right.
Was quite surprised to see his name as EP though.
THE SQUEEZE along with GET CARTER and VILLAIN remain the UK's finest 70's crime films.
The Squeeze is like a more violent,sleazier,longer episode of The Sweeney.
What more can you ask for?

Old 3rd October 2012, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You seen SITTING TARGET? If you've not I know you'll love it.
Old 16th July 2014, 09:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Read on Graham Humphrey's FB page that he was at a BFI screening of Apted's classic The Squeeze.
Hopefully if they're screening this,then they have something special up their sleeves ala The Devils.
An all singing,dancing Blu Ray release would be superb!

Rondadoronron likes this.

Old 1st March 2017, 06:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default THE SQUEEZE 1977 Michael Apted

When it comes to criminally under rated British movies then they do not come much more under rated than Micheal Apted's The Squeeze,other wise why hasn't it had a decent uk release yet,?? and considering the high cult appeal the like's of The Sweeney and Sidney Lumets The Offence have, you would think it would have a certain cult appeal,especially if you enjoy everything from The Performance to The Long Good Friday.And if that was not enough the screenplay was by Minder creator Leon Griffiths,directed by Michael Apted and starring a feast of British talent including David Hemmings,Edward Fox and er Freddie Starr,(who it has has to be said does a good job.of basically being a more mellow version of his hyperactive tv persona that was).And of course not forgetting the rather marvelous Stacy Keach as an alcoholic ex -police detective who while he isn't throwing up all over himself he is being humiliated by the local gangsters and made to walk home naked with only a shoe to cover his pride. Keach is on top form in the role Jim Naboth an ex-copper with more than his share of inner demons to contend with,alcohol being the main one,which caused him to be sacked and see the break up of his family.My only gripe with Keach's performance is that his accent does waver into something which sounds a little bit Aussie to me,but apart from that its a very convincing portrayal of a man tottering on the edge of despair at times.Of course no gangster film is complete without its villains,the main one being Irish hood Stephen Boyd as Vic and leader of the kidnapping gang David Hemmings as Keith,while both actors are good,Hemmings is masterful in the role as head gang member and manages to be charismatic and sinister in equal measures.Another highlight is an early appearance of hard man for hire Alan Ford,who must have been in every British gangster film since the 1970's.The plot is a fairly straight forward kidnap story,the twist being that the kidnapped woman Carol White as Jill,is Edward Fox's missus,but was also Keach's (Naboth) ex wife as well.If your like me,one of the fun things about British films from the 1970's is seeing all the locations from the past and comparing them to the present day,and The Squeeze uses some marvellous run down areas of London,especially the scenes where the daughter of Jill has been dumped inside a disused factory to die.A truly gripping thriller .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTl7azQE6Hkq5vy.jpg (74.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 1st March 2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Read my signature Inspector.

Surely this will appear on Blu soon on Warner Archive.....

One of my favourite all time films.
NEVER tire of watching it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!