Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2017, 03:01 PM
Ex-member

Default Collectable DVDs

A lot of DVDs now you can buy from 50p upwards so apart from the large box sets etc

What titles are still expensive to buy and collect?

One I know of still goes for crazy money is

The Pete Walker Coffin set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pete-Walker.../dp/B0007LYDQE

Any others?
Wes likes this.
Old 8th November 2017, 07:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anything that didn't get a wide release, sold very few, not available in this country, hasn't had another release anywhere else or has a particular version or extra not on other discs. There also seems a window of time that is advantageous. For example I sold my signed August Underground dvds about 5 years ago for between £70 and £120 each, now they seem to go in the £30-40 range.
Here's a few I've noticed going for silly money over the last few months, there are many more.
Spasms. went for over £90 on EBay recently.
Faccia de Spia. English subtitles. went for £60.
Savage Man, Savage Beast. Thai release, £59
Urutsokidoji, The Perfect Edition, From £70 to £250
The Tokugawa Trilogy, - Shoguns Joy of Torture, Inferno of Torture and Shoguns Sadism. up to £180 for all three with slipcases.
The Mondo Cane Collection. Up to £100

And many more, a whole heap that goes for between £15 -30. There are also a load of BD's commanding high prices too. Just yesterday I saw the Friday the 13th BD tin set advertised for $500....!!!!! whether anyone would pay that though is another matter. Arrow's Nekromantik now sells around the £40-50 quid mark. A DVD or BD is only worth what someone will pay for it and there are a lot of fools out there with more money than sense.
nosferatu42 and SilverSurfer like this.
Old 8th November 2017, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Excellent topic Silver Surfer.

The one that springs immedtaily ti mind mind is from the fledgling days of DVD when the Roan lablel put out City of the Dead (under the the title Horror Hotel) and included an Easter Egg of a fragment of video of Christopher Lee speaking ill of Forrest Ackerman. Roan pulled the disc and omitted it from future pressings, but a few copies made it to stores. Not sure if it goes for big sums nowadays, I couldn't even find a copy of it online, it's rather obscure...
Old 8th November 2017, 10:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

In a way blu-ray has made dvd less collectible but there are still some good ones about.

Maybe some of the limited editions will soar in value at some point. For example the No Shame Dark Waters amulet box set, or some of those with differing packaging to a normal dvd like the Sin City i have, or the Forbidden Planet collectors tin or some of the fancy Korean releases such as the leather bound Dances with Wolves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5052 (Large).jpg (88.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5053 (Large).jpg (90.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5055 (Large).jpg (89.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5054 (Large).jpg (91.3 KB, 14 views)
Wes, nosferatu42 and SilverSurfer like this.
Old 8th November 2017, 11:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Perhaps tv series like the complete Avengers will retain their prices seeing as they will never get blu-ray releases due to the way they were recorded and the quality of the materials.

Just had a look and it's still £100 new so is holding it's price nicely. I paid £60 in a Black Friday Amazon sale three years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Co...s=the+avengers
Old 9th November 2017, 03:03 PM
Ex-member

From the top of my head I still have the withdrawn versions of Stendhal Syndrome (has a different label) and True Lies.
Old 9th April 2018, 11:12 PM
Cult Rookie

Rare & pricey discs I own include Begotten, and the early Eurotika releases like 'Pussy Talk', 'I am Frigid Why' etc. Some of the Harry Novak dvds from Something Weird fetch a high price too.

Super expensive rarities I don't own (and probably never will!) include the 1989 version of The Woman in Black (brief US release) and I, A Woman (1965) - both of which badly need re-releasing!
Old 10th April 2018, 12:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps tv series like the complete Avengers will retain their prices seeing as they will never get blu-ray releases due to the way they were recorded and the quality of the materials.

Just had a look and it's still £100 new so is holding it's price nicely. I paid £60 in a Black Friday Amazon sale three years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Co...s=the+avengers
Aren't the Rigg & Thorson seasons on Blu ray (in the US, at least)?
Old 10th April 2018, 10:11 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Aren't the Rigg & Thorson seasons on Blu ray (in the US, at least)?
Yes they are. UK as well. I did say the complete Avengers though.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:39 PM
Cultist

I tried selling Dark Waters with another ten titles from No Shame, all rare, no-one could be bothered with them too much even when I put them at silly prices where I was insulting myself. I eventually removed them. Could have been that by chance no collectors came across them, but other labels I sold were bought up fast, so at least some of the viewers knew their stuff.
I was tempted to sell my Demons Japanese DVD box set, but as stated blu-ray has killed off a lot of desire, dare I say that streaming services are even more to blame for a casual response from some (traitors! lol ).

Like this? Share it using the links below!