Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Cult Labs Review Database

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By JoshuaKaitlyn
  • 1 Post By Demoncrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2015, 05:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Sword and the Sorceror, The (1982)

The Sword and the Sorceror

Sword and the Sorceror.jpg

A prime example of why you should 'never judge a book by its cover'. The movie poster makes it look good, but there again they all do otherwise it wouldn’t be doing the job it was created for. It’s a story that’s been done a thousand times before, a wicked warlord takes a peaceful kingdom and slaughters the royal family bar one who has escaped.....years later the escaped royal nipper, now a man returns to seek vengeance. Add in a demon, (the titular Sorcerer), a three bladed rocket propelled sword (!) and a beautiful princess and that’s about it.
Richard Lynch plays the evil warlord, King Cromwell, and plays him pretty much like he plays all his characters from The A-Team to the original Battlestar Galactica and its sequel Galactica 1980. The cast also included Kathleen Beller, Simon MacCorkindale and George Maharis.
A sequel was announced at the end of the movie 'Tales of an Ancient Empire' which promised the further adventures of Talon, (the lucky sod who escaped his family’s demise played by Lee Horsley) but that title was long in coming, in fact 28 years in coming! 'Tales of an Ancient Empire' (2010) did star Horsley but in a cameo role as 'the Stranger'.
The picture failed to keep my attention despite the fantasy, (and slight nudity), elements and the demon just wasn’t in it enough to make it any more interesting, its typical early 80's fodder albeit with a bigger budget.

Old 7th September 2015, 01:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I can honestly say that that's why I love it.
I also highly recommend Sorceress (1982), as a supremely silly piece of trash.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!