• 1 Post By Stephen@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2015, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Set three years after the events of Halloween H20. Laurie Strode is in a psychiatric hospital with Michael Myers still on the loose. Although seen as a way to write out Jamie Lee Curtis from the rest of the film and any upcoming movies this opening fifteen minutes is actually the best part of Resurrection. Curtis does well with her few scenes and the final pay off is actually quite touching. The same cannot be said for the rest of the film as events move to Haddonfield, Illinois, and we focus on a group of college students who are to star in an online reality show where they spend the night in Michael Myers childhood home. Unfortunately for them it is the night he comes home.

And so this is where it all begins to unravel and we soon realize this isn't really a Halloween / Michael Myers film after all but a bog standard slasher movie attempting to draw viewers in by using the craze of reality tv as a selling point. Myers adds nothing to proceedings and at times it feels like the Busta Rhymes show. Yes Busta Rhymes the rap star, but from this evidence definitely not Busta Rhymes the actor. Perhaps i'm doing him a disservice here as the script does Rhymes no favours whatsoever, and it's certainly not a prejudice against US rap singers as i thought LL Cool J came over pretty decent in previous film Halloween H20. The rest of the cast, including soon to be Starbuck Katee Sackhoff, Sean Patrick Thomas, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Tyra Banks, unfortunately fair no better although Sackhoff's decapitated head bouncing down the stairs adds amusement value.

Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon. It's difficult to say why producer Moustapha Akkad would do this as they were all his films as well and each one of them a far better proposition than this extremely disappointing effort.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 1st October 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:44 PM
Cult Master

Great review Dem i have not seen this or H2O guess that wont be changing anytime soon.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Great review Dem i have not seen this or H2O guess that wont be changing anytime soon.
H20's good. Genuinely. Not as good as one and maybe not two, but it's definitely the third best in the series.

Where else could Janet Leigh talk to her daughter (Jamie Lee) with the theme to Psycho fading out in the background?
Old 1st October 2015, 10:51 PM
Cult Master

I must give H2O a shot then. Cheers.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I didn't like H20 much, although I know it has a firm fan following.

Nice review Dem - I haven't seen Resurrection either, and like Nordy I don't think that will be changing anytime soon.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't like H20 much, although I know it has a firm fan following.

Nice review Dem - I haven't seen Resurrection either, and like Nordy I don't think that will be changing anytime soon.
I think one reason why H20 works for me at least, is that director Steve Miner knows how to create a few shocks and jumps in the slasher genre thanks to his earlier Friday the 13th films (II and III for those not familiar).
Old 2nd October 2015, 07:34 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon.
As did H20. What would've helped, is if they had filmed the scene (which was in Kevin Williamson's original treatment of the script), where Laurie actually finds out the fate of Jamie Lloyd during a class report from one of the students about the Haddonfield murders, and shocked at hearing the news, she retreats to the bathroom and throws up. That one scene could've fixed it all.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 2nd October 2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:12 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think one reason why H20 works for me at least, is that director Steve Miner knows how to create a few shocks and jumps in the slasher genre thanks to his earlier Friday the 13th films (II and III for those not familiar).
I've never really been a big fan of Miner.

House, Friday II & III, Warlock and Lake Placid have always left me a little non-plussed.

Despite the odd decent scene I actually find his films to be rather dull... Friday Part II being one of the worst offenders - and not only for the fact that most of the kill scenes have been ripped off from Bava's A Bay of Blood. I've never been the biggest F13th fan but I recently re-watched Part II (having re-watched the original last year - generally I can just about manage to struggle through one of these films a year ) and was amazed at how boring it actually is. My review reflects my thoughts perfectly.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Resurrection is a pile of crud.

I like H20 but personally my favourite sequel is Halloween IV.

Like this? Share it using the links below!