Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles

Like Tree290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2016, 12:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Eek!!

Brilliant reviewer and boffin to boot!
Ha! I don't know - incorrect aspect ratios have always bothered me. You can tell something is slightly off-center, or worse, missing.

1.85:1 to 1.78:1 is usually okay as it just involves opening the frame slightly. There's very little difference and I doubt most would notice. The other re-frames involve a lot of cropping or zooming out. Compare the Apocalypse Now DVD (2:00.1) with the BluRay (2.39:1).

2.00:1

2.39:1

2.00:1

2.39:1

Not only is it awkward looking in terms of composition, it also ruined the optical effects in the opening sequence.

And then there is the Saw VHS, which opened the 1.85:1 frame completely to get a 1.33:1 ratio. There are many moments where Ken Leung is suddenly transformed into Leigh Whannell
Old 12th October 2016, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Depends on what we're talking about. If it's 1.85:1 opened up to 1.78:1, that's fine. 1.66:1 to 1.78:1 is very disappointing. 2.39:1 to 2.00:1 is a travesty.
Apparently:

Quote:
We did the restoration for LA CHIESA (one master in 1.66 and one 1.85x1) and I believe we managed to create a very, very nice looking master based on a great 2K ARRI scan.
He posted a screencap which looked great too. Code Red are colour correcting it, which I'm not that fussed about, it seemingly looks fine anyway (not that you can tell from that horrific promotional video Shameless released). I'm just interested if Shameless are giving us the option, or if they're choosing one (if so which one), and about the language options. We're almost midway through October now, surely if it's going to hit its end of October release date they must know. It'd be nice it they could actually pass this information on to us.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Apparently:

Quote:
We did the restoration for LA CHIESA (one master in 1.66 and one 1.85x1) and I believe we managed to create a very, very nice looking master based on a great 2K ARRI scan.
Maybe it was shot like The Last Emperor, where it was shot with both 2:00.1 and 2.39:1 in mind. I think a lot of theatres were pushing 1.66:1 out in favour of 1.85:1 then, so maybe Soavi agreed to frame the film to suit both ratios.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Fans are asking questions on their FB page, about the extras etc.
But as usual no answers.

What is the ****ing point, having a FB page, if they don't answer their fans?
keirarts and sjconstable like this.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'll buy the version that has 1.66:1 and English & Italian audio options.
Old 25th October 2016, 09:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Wonder if they are sending out the movie, so we'll have it on, or before, the release date?

First time ordering directly from Shameless, so I don't know how fast or slow they usually are at this.
Old 25th October 2016, 09:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

If you ordered The Church direct from Shameless then it will not be dispatched until the release date according to their web page.

Shameless Films :: Blu-rays :: The Church aka La Chiesa Blu-ray
Old 28th October 2016, 10:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Am waiting until oct 31st to see if Amazon's pre order price on the dvd comes down (both The Sect & The Church are about £26 each at the moment), not sure why amazon are not price matching?
Old 28th October 2016, 11:03 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Am waiting until oct 31st to see if Amazon's pre order price on the dvd comes down (both The Sect & The Church are about £26 each at the moment), not sure why amazon are not price matching?
Why not just buy it from HMV? It's free postage over £10.
Old 28th October 2016, 07:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Why not buy it directly from Shameless?

It's only £9.99 in the shop for the DVD:

Shameless Films :: DVDs :: The Church aka La Chiesa

Like this? Share it using the links below!