Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles

Like Tree2352Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2018, 05:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"Naturally, we've been following the recent discussions about MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD. At Shameless, we are proud of presenting you with all the gore and sex you could possibly want but we do refuse gratuitous animal cruelty. We are determined not only to source the best possible materials for the films we publish, but also the closest possible version to the director’s original or the filmmaker’s preferred vision of the film

In the case of ‘Cannibal’ movies, which mostly arrive with a plate-full of prejudices, we needed to find a compromise to these diametrically opposed notions: maxing the gore, not shying from explicitness whilst minimising the vision of animal cruelty (appalling yet unfortunately already committed to celluloid)

In the case of the most famous Cannibal film of them all, Ruggero Deodato made his first and still only unique re-edit of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST expressly and exclusively for Shameless to tone down the animal cruelty from the film

Similarly, Sergio Martino shares our concern and supports the editing of the work in order not to pander to exploitative and unnecessary violence against animals. Originally, sadly, due to production commercial obligations, it was believed this type of extreme animal cruelty would generate more interest and sales… Martino explains more in the extra on our Blu-ray. We hope you’ll join us in appreciating the wild, weird and gory world of Martino’s MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD (minus the gratuitous animal cruelty.)…oh and by the way, THAT pig scene is still definitely in there! "
Hmmmm
Old 31st March 2018, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"Naturally, we've been following the recent discussions about MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD. At Shameless, we are proud of presenting you with all the gore and sex you could possibly want but we do refuse gratuitous animal cruelty. We are determined not only to source the best possible materials for the films we publish, but also the closest possible version to the director’s original or the filmmaker’s preferred vision of the film

In the case of ‘Cannibal’ movies, which mostly arrive with a plate-full of prejudices, we needed to find a compromise to these diametrically opposed notions: maxing the gore, not shying from explicitness whilst minimising the vision of animal cruelty (appalling yet unfortunately already committed to celluloid)

In the case of the most famous Cannibal film of them all, Ruggero Deodato made his first and still only unique re-edit of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST expressly and exclusively for Shameless to tone down the animal cruelty from the film

Similarly, Sergio Martino shares our concern and supports the editing of the work in order not to pander to exploitative and unnecessary violence against animals. Originally, sadly, due to production commercial obligations, it was believed this type of extreme animal cruelty would generate more interest and sales… Martino explains more in the extra on our Blu-ray. We hope you’ll join us in appreciating the wild, weird and gory world of Martino’s MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD (minus the gratuitous animal cruelty.)…oh and by the way, THAT pig scene is still definitely in there! "
Clowns.
Old 1st April 2018, 02:25 PM
Active Cultist

Revisionist bullshit again,It's Cut, It's worthless
Old 1st April 2018, 02:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
Revisionist bullshit again,It's Cut, It's worthless
I would argue it depends what they put on the disc (I did drop Shameless a line to mention that we filmed the locations last year but not heard back - which I kind of predicted) and the transfer of the film itself. It might shock you to hear this, but some of us would rather watch the film without these sequences - the python swallowing the monkey for instance just is not something I need to see again. Seen it before and glad it will not be in this version. Now you can scream 'charlatan' at me until your throat goes dry but that is my general feeling towards the matter. When we did Man from Deep River, we tried our best to give the audience a jam packed edition - and I even provided an 80 minute documentary on Me Me Lai which was unavailable everywhere else for almost two years. And still some fans said no no no... not buying it, which was cutting off your nose to spite your face really because you were getting a full length documentary and a lot more in that edition.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

In an ideal world, both a cut and an uncut version should be available on the same disc. But that's still impossible under the current BBFC guidelines.

As a collector, i'll always buy the most complete version available. So that's why i'll be importing Code Red's instead.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:20 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
In an ideal world, both a cut and an uncut version should be available on the same disc. But that's still impossible under the current BBFC guidelines.

As a collector, i'll always buy the most complete version available. So that's why i'll be importing Code Red's instead.

As I already mentioned, the BBFC can quite easily pass it uncut if they want, they’re only required (by law), to remove such scenes for cinema exibition. So it’s not impossible.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
As I already mentioned, the BBFC can quite easily pass it uncut if they want, they’re only required (by law), to remove such scenes for cinema exibition. So it’s not impossible.
Still can't see it happening though
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st April 2018, 03:48 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Still can't see it happening though

Yeah, not from the way Shameless are talking on Facebook unfortunately. I’m sure most companies don’t even think of challenging them about it. Although i’m sure if they did and some releases got through, the act would swiflty be altered to include home entertainment mediums as well.
Old 1st April 2018, 04:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I would argue it depends what they put on the disc (I did drop Shameless a line to mention that we filmed the locations last year but not heard back - which I kind of predicted) and the transfer of the film itself. It might shock you to hear this, but some of us would rather watch the film without these sequences - the python swallowing the monkey for instance just is not something I need to see again. Seen it before and glad it will not be in this version. Now you can scream 'charlatan' at me until your throat goes dry but that is my general feeling towards the matter. When we did Man from Deep River, we tried our best to give the audience a jam packed edition - and I even provided an 80 minute documentary on Me Me Lai which was unavailable everywhere else for almost two years. And still some fans said no no no... not buying it, which was cutting off your nose to spite your face really because you were getting a full length documentary and a lot more in that edition.

Me Me Lai Bites Back was worth the price of the disc alone, and Man from Deep River was a great print & release. I'm hoping the extras on MOTCG outweigh the fact that it's cut, so then I'll buy it.

It's a shame all the animal cruelty has to go as (let's face it) THAT WAS PART OF THE ORIGINAL FILM! But that's the uk rules, but it will be nice to see it on blu ray in the uk, just the fact that half these things make it to hd at all is quite amazing. Line up all your Shameless, Arrow and 88 horror titles and go back 10 or 15 years, you would never imageine!
Old 1st April 2018, 05:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I'm hoping the extras on MOTCG outweigh the fact that it's cut, so then I'll buy it.
Shameless and extras aren't really two words that go together i'm afraid.

Like this? Share it using the links below!