Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   New Shameless Releases Coming Very Soon! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/current-upcoming-shameless-titles/9169-new-shameless-releases-coming-very-soon.html)

MrBarlow 15th May 2018 09:04 PM

I have seen the Vipco release of Mountain of the Cannibal God and trailer, clicked on the new trailer to it, am I seeing things or on the trailer was a guy humping a actual pig?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 575644)
I have seen the Vipco release of Mountain of the Cannibal God and trailer, clicked on the new trailer to it, am I seeing things or on the trailer was a guy humping a actual pig?

Yeah, there's some (attempted/simulated) human-suidae action in the film.

MrBarlow 15th May 2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 575647)
Yeah, there's some (attempted/simulated) human-suidae action in the film.

Suppose we have seen alot worse and more graphic material in film, but does take the phrase "Oinker Boinker to a new level :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 575649)
Suppose we have seen alot worse and more graphic material in film, but does take the phrase "Oinker Boinker to a new level :lol:

It would be difficult to watch if it was real interspecies intercourse (in this case pig molestation), but thankfully it's not.

MrBarlow 15th May 2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 575650)
It would be difficult to watch if it was real interspecies intercourse (in this case pig molestation), but thankfully it's not.

Totally difficult, i couldnt watch the film, even had a bad time trying to watch Deliverence

Crimson Blade 16th May 2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 575649)

Joe D'amato seemed to have a penchant tor that type of thing if you've seen some of his Emanuelle films :lol: And his Caligula adaptation as well ;)

MrBarlow 16th May 2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 575663)
Joe D'amato seemed to have a penchant tor that type of thing if you've seen some of his Emanuelle films :lol: And his Caligula adaptation as well ;)

Saw Emanuelle and the last cannibals but think that was a cut version, is his version of Caligula any worse than the Malcolm McDowell version?

Crimson Blade 16th May 2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 575666)
Saw Emanuelle and the last cannibals but think that was a cut version, is his version of Caligula any worse than the Malcolm McDowell version?

It's pretty hardcore, Mr B. Although, i haven't watched it in ages.
But there's an orgy that goes on for nearly half an hour, with real sex, and a fat woman giving a horse relief, from what i remember. :lol:
Throw in rape, spears up the rectum, a tongue graphically cut off, etc. And you've got another pleasant D'amato classic.

keirarts 16th May 2018 11:59 AM

So shameless have officially announced Ferox.

Cut of course.

I'm sure some people don't miss the animal cruelty and it's good that Shameless have got the BBFC to relent on the dick slicing and nipple hooks (what a sentence!!!)

However I own the Grindhouse special edition so no sale for me. Hope shameless look at improving on code reds ZEDER release or give HOUSE OF LAUGHING WINDOWS a HD RELEASE. These ones would be uncut and I'd buythem. As it is the only Shameless title I'm waiting on is OPERA.

Rik 16th May 2018 12:01 PM

I’m still waiting for them to redo Dellamorte Dellamore! :nod:

Crimson Blade 16th May 2018 12:05 PM

Who Saw Her Die?, is one i hope they upgrade. It's a brilliant giallo.

keirarts 17th May 2018 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 575672)
I’m still waiting for them to redo Dellamorte Dellamore! :nod:

I picked up the Italian blu-ray of that for about a tenner off Amazon. It looks incredible.

Rik 17th May 2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 575718)
I picked up the Italian blu-ray of that for about a tenner off Amazon. It looks incredible.

I keep meaning to pick that up, I’ve heard it’s really good :nod:

keirarts 17th May 2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 575719)
I keep meaning to pick that up, I’ve heard it’s really good :nod:

English friendly as well.

Susan Foreman 20th May 2018 06:43 PM

Mountain of the Cannibal God (The) AKA La montagna del dio cannibale AKA Slave of the Cannibal God A | DVDCompare

"Shameless have done a bang-up job presenting this cult favourite in very pleasing edition provided you’re not bothered about losing the reprehensible animal atrocities. Picture and sound are both very pleasing and the extras are all splendid and very choice.

Personally, I wish every last frame of animal nastiness had been removed but this is a reasonably priced edition well worth getting."

The Film: C+
Video: B+
Audio: A
Extras: A
Overall: B+

Comparison specs:
Extras:
Introduction with Sergio Martino (plays before the film starts) (0:35)
"Cannibal Nightmare: Return to the Mountain of the Cannibal God" documentary (Italian LPCM 2.0 Mono with optional English subtitles / 1.78:1) (SD) (46:12)
“Director Sergio Martino on on the Controversial Scenes He Shot ... and on the Scenes That He Maybe Didn’t Shoot at All!” featurette (in Italian, optional English subtitles) (2:39)
Theatrical Trailer (SD) (3:45)
Italian Credits (3:42)
Start-up Trailers:
- Play All (2:09)
- Cannibal Holocaust (1:04)
- Cannibal Ferox (1:05)

Exclusive, Limited Edition Serial-Numbered O card
Cannibal Paradise, a snakes and ladders inspired board game on a card folded inside the case
Reversible inlay sleeve with new and original poster artwork
Subtitles: None
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Picture Format: 1080p 24fps AVC MPEG-4
Soundtrack(s): English LPCM 2.0 Mono
Case type: Keep Case

Notes:
Full running time 101:26 includes 0:35 of introduction and 0:22 of notes on the presentation.
All extras in HD unless otherwise stated.
Optional subtitles for the introduction that plays before the film. No subtitles for the film itself.

CUTS:
Blu-ray B Shameless Numbered Edition United Kingdom- Shameless Screen Entertainment - Yes - Original version but with 2:01 of compulsory BBFC cuts to six scenes of animal cruelty (100:29)

Almar@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 575673)
Who Saw Her Die?, is one i hope they upgrade. It's a brilliant giallo.

Amen to that - I'd never seen it until way back in the beginning of Shameless I was sifting through the titles they had potential access to - real atmosphere this one. Footprints was another surprise - that's one of those rare films that really can haunt you after watching. :wise:

Prince_Vajda 21st May 2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 575597)
(...) the lack of animal violence is a bonus.

Really? The animals won't come back to life. Does it really make any difference if the violence is cut today?

Those scenes are part of the original film, and that is why I want them to be in the film.

JAMIOUSE 21st May 2018 05:32 PM

Has anyone had a despatch email for their Cannibal God yet? I thought they were sending out the discs before it hits retail next week.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 576073)
Really? The animals won't come back to life. Does it really make any difference if the violence is cut today?

Those scenes are part of the original film, and that is why I want them to be in the film.

I am not entertained by watching living snakes being skinned, a monkey being eaten alive by a snake or a fully conscious monitor lizard being gutted, so previously close my eyes when I know those parts are about to appear on screen. I know the animals are long dead, but I don't want to watch gratuitous and completely unnecessary suffering of sentient creatures if at all possible.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 576090)
Has anyone had a despatch email for their Cannibal God yet? I thought they were sending out the discs before it hits retail next week.

The Shameless website still says 18th of May as the shipping date; mine hasn't been sent yet.

JAMIOUSE 21st May 2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576092)
The Shameless website still says 18th of May as the shipping date; mine hasn't been sent yet.

Oh I've just had a despatch email!

Prince_Vajda 21st May 2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576091)
I am not entertained by watching living snakes being skinned, a monkey being eaten alive by a snake or a fully conscious monitor lizard being gutted, so previously close my eyes when I know those parts are about to appear on screen. I know the animals are long dead, but I don't want to watch gratuitous and completely unnecessary suffering of sentient creatures if at all possible.

Fair enough. :nod:

Still, those (I agree - completely unnecessary) scenes are part of the final film. It's a different film without those scenes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 576094)
Fair enough. :nod:

Still, those (I agree - completely unnecessary) scenes are part of the final film. It's a different film without those scenes.

It is, but because I try not to watch them anyway (I'm the same with with all versions of Cannibal Holocaust, even the turtle killing in the re-edited one, Cannibal Ferox, and almost every other cannibal movie with animal torture, Apocalypse Now etc.) I'd prefer a well edited version without obvious scenes where animals are unnecessarily suffering.

Since I read about it, I now I don't particularly feel much like watching Life of Pi again because I know a tiger was mis-treated during its filming.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576096)
Since I read about it, I now I don't particularly feel much like watching Life of Pi again because I know a tiger was mis-treated during its filming.

I never bothered watching it due to hearing about the tiger.

Inspector Abberline 21st May 2018 07:33 PM

?

I think in film terms it would be a fair trade if we got footage of actual people getting eaten and killed by animals,to offset the animal cruelty....take for example someone who bangs on about freedom of speech etc..and feed the f**ker to an alligator while being filmed by a bunch narcissistic numbskulls...and then later on we can argue the toss on a forum about it...just a suggestion...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 576101)
I never bothered watching it due to hearing about the tiger.

I'm not sure why, but I was completely unaware of it until looking into the 4K release. It's one of those instances where knowing about how something was made (a film, TV show, album, book, painting or any other art form) changes the way you feel about it.

I don't think humans would be different even though they have managers, agents and (at least in theory) the capacity to argue with a director or voice their concerns to someone on set, all things an animal can't do.

For example, Ellen Page said she was verbally abused and subjected to homophobic slurs by Brett Ratner on the set of X-Men: The Last Stand, a shoot where she was sexually assaulted by a grip. This has has changed the way I think about the film and reduced the chances of me watching it again any time soon.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576103)
For example, Ellen Page said she was verbally abused and subjected to homophobic slurs by Brett Ratner on the set of X-Men: The Last Stand, a shoot where she was sexually assaulted by a grip. This has has changed the way I think about the film and reduced the chances of me watching it again any time soon.

I didn't need to know all those things about X-Men: The Last Stand to know I'd never watch it again. Watching it once was enough!

Prince_Vajda 21st May 2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576103)

Why?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 576108)
Why?

Because I'll see Ellen Page on screen and have a nagging thought about whether that scene was before or after she was subjected to homophobic abuse by Brett Ratner, or before or after she was sexually abused by a grip. Knowing things like that took place on a film set tempers my enjoyment of the finished product.

Rik 21st May 2018 08:59 PM

Do you still enjoy watching the Birds knowing now what Hitchcock put Tippi Hedren through during the shoot?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 576114)
Do you still enjoy watching the Birds knowing now what Hitchcock put Tippi Hedren through during the shoot?

Funnily enough, that came to mind while I was writing the post because one of the reasons why the film is so uncomfortable to watch is because I know it's not just Melanie Daniels suffering in the scene, but because Hedren spent time in the hospital. It's a film I really appreciate, but my enjoyment has decreased over the years.

Similarly, you know how much I love The Exorcist; I know one instance when Ellen Burstyn screams in pain because she landed on her coccyx and was genuinely hurt, not acting and pretending to be in pain from being punched in the face by her 12-year-old daughter. I don't think she spent time in hospital or missed any time on set, but Friedkin (though he didn't intend Burstyn to land badly) chose a take which had the first realistic reaction to what Chris McNeil had experienced.

Rik 21st May 2018 09:42 PM

Yeah, the special FX guy pulled her back too hard leaving her with permanent damage to her lower back :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2018 09:49 PM

Friedkin is someone who doesn't seem to give a damn about what anyone thinks about what he's doing or has done, something outlined in this piece about his upcoming documentary, The Devil and Father Amorth, in the Guardian:

Quote:

He extends this doctrine of thick skin from his work to himself. At a time when the tide appears to be turning against directors prone to extreme, unorthodox methods – Quentin Tarantino, Lars Von Trier – the notoriously intense Friedkin has drawn some heat for past behaviors, and he’s not having it. He was known to fire blanks from a prop gun to get a realistically shocked reaction from some actors, and slapped another in the face before one take on The Exorcist. Ellen Burstyn sustained an injury to her tailbone during production, and has described Friedkin as a demanding collaborator in recent interviews looking back on the film. He tells it like this:

“[Ellen Burstyn] never lost a day’s work, let’s put it that way. There was no insurance claim, and she’s worked steadily ever since. I’m sure she was hurt by the fall – you fall on your backside, it’s gonna hurt – but she wasn’t injured. And for that I say, thank God.”
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...d-neither-do-i

Prince_Vajda 22nd May 2018 01:39 PM

I always differentiate between the artist and his or her work.

What happened during the shooting? Is the producer a pervert? Have animals been killed on set?

Seriously, I couldn't care less.

Maybe Egon Schiele had a relationship with a minor (we don't know for sure) - should we ignore his paintings?

Richard Wagner was an anti-Semite (that's a fact) - does this change his music?

Harvey Weinstein sexually exploited many women - is Pulp Fiction a different film now?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2018 01:52 PM

For me, there's a difference between what might be going on in an artist's private life which I find distasteful and something which is on the screen in front of me. Harvey Weinstein producing Pulp Fiction or something which Roman Polanski did decades before making The Pianist is something I can, without any cognitive distance, separate from watching an animal being pointlessly and painfully killed on my TV screen.

In that sense, it there is a difference between separating the art from the artist when the art is praiseworthy but the artist isn't, and when the art itself is objectionable.

Andra Jai 22nd May 2018 02:18 PM

So the specs are up for Cannibal Ferox

Special Features

2K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
A Taste of the Jungle: an interview with director Umberto Lenzi
Hell in the Jungle: an interview with Giovanni Lombardo Radice
Restoration Process for Cannibal Ferox
Cannibals and Carpet Fitter
s – a short film from 2015
Lenzi photo gallery
Limited Edition

Gotta say I find that pretty disappointing.

Now I have the Grindhouse release but was really looking for a reason to buy the UK one as well but there just doesn't seem to be one here for me.

Admittedly I have no idea what Cannibals and Carpet fitter is or the S - short film from 2015, but I just wish there was something substantial like a new commentary or documentary or just something here.

Crimson Blade 22nd May 2018 02:26 PM

Has it been confirmed yet that the cuts have been reduced to less than 30 seconds?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2018 02:47 PM

The 'Cannibal Nightmare: Return to the Mountain of the Cannibal God' documentary is over 46 minutes long; in my book, that's fairly "substantial". This release may not be as laden with extra material as the Grindhouse Releasing one, but there's enough there to make me buy it.

Susan Foreman 22nd May 2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 576170)
The 'Cannibal Nightmare: Return to the Mountain of the Cannibal God' documentary is over 46 minutes long; in my book, that's fairly "substantial". This release may not be as laden with extra material as the Grindhouse Releasing one, but there's enough there to make me buy it.

The's on the 'Prisoner of the Cannibal God' release and not the Ferox one!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 576171)
The's on the 'Prisoner of the Cannibal God' release and not the Ferox one!

Oops, mixing up two different cannibal films!

I'm quite interested by the 18 minute Cannibals and Carpet fitters short film, something I don't think I've seen before.