Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles

Like Tree2352Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2013, 03:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Oh dear, over at blu ray.com, everyone's talking these up as blu ray releases, to the point that they made an article on the news page about new blu rays from Shameless.

These have been confirmed as DVDs only right?
That was pretty foolish of them without actually confirming with Shameless first!

Yes, these two titles will be DVD only. There's enough people not wanting to buy the DVDs, so Shameless would be signing their own death warrant if they'd released these on Blu, in my opinion.

What the people on Blu-ray.com often don't realise is that Blu-ray is still a pretty niche format. Yes, it seems popular on the internet amongst us, because we are collectors, but aside form myself, I don't know many people in the 'real world' who would even consider buying Blu-ray discs (and none of them would buy titles like these!)

People need to remove their heads from their asses and go outside and see how the real world functions sometimes.

For most people, price is still the biggest factor. On the rare occasions they'll actually buy a film, they'll hit up their local HMV or town centre, or order it from Amazon marketplace as cheaply as they can.

We need to remember that we film fans and collectors may seem mighty on here, but we are nothing but a grain of sand in the vast desert that is real life. Whilst we can shout and scream and suggest, we are nothing in the grand scheme of things. Whilst I know for a fact that Shameless listen and care about their fans (as do some other companies no doubt), there are other factors at work that doesn't mean if we suggest 'X' title they will make it so just because they care, at the expense of themselves - they're not a concierge service!

Plus, as Kyle says we have more to look forward to in 2014, so I for one am looking forward to Shameless' resurgence as a UK distributor. Pkus, who knows what they have in store for the future. There have been so many titles suggested to them, that I'm sure they'll be looking into some of them - these things take time though.
Old 10th August 2013, 06:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Well said b_e!!
Old 10th August 2013, 07:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
That was pretty foolish of them without actually confirming with Shameless first!

Yes, these two titles will be DVD only. There's enough people not wanting to buy the DVDs, so Shameless would be signing their own death warrant if they'd released these on Blu, in my opinion.

What the people on Blu-ray.com often don't realise is that Blu-ray is still a pretty niche format. Yes, it seems popular on the internet amongst us, because we are collectors, but aside form myself, I don't know many people in the 'real world' who would even consider buying Blu-ray discs (and none of them would buy titles like these!)

People need to remove their heads from their asses and go outside and see how the real world functions sometimes.

For most people, price is still the biggest factor. On the rare occasions they'll actually buy a film, they'll hit up their local HMV or town centre, or order it from Amazon marketplace as cheaply as they can.

We need to remember that we film fans and collectors may seem mighty on here, but we are nothing but a grain of sand in the vast desert that is real life. Whilst we can shout and scream and suggest, we are nothing in the grand scheme of things. Whilst I know for a fact that Shameless listen and care about their fans (as do some other companies no doubt), there are other factors at work that doesn't mean if we suggest 'X' title they will make it so just because they care, at the expense of themselves - they're not a concierge service!

Plus, as Kyle says we have more to look forward to in 2014, so I for one am looking forward to Shameless' resurgence as a UK distributor. Pkus, who knows what they have in store for the future. There have been so many titles suggested to them, that I'm sure they'll be looking into some of them - these things take time though.
Good to see they have now taken down the news article, and in the official shameless thread a mod has done some research and confirmed them as DVD only

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th August 2013, 09:13 AM
Cultist

I feel like I need to add in a counter point to all those blindly supporting the need for the dvd format. First of all I appreciate that when there's no hd material to get hold of then there's no blu ray to be made.

But the collecting market has changed over the years to where a lot of collectors just aren't buying DVDs at all. All the friends and family I know that aren't collectors are now moving over to streaming.

There's a good reason why Arrow (and other successful UK labels like SecondSight) release everything (but the odd arrowdrome dvd) on blu ray - that's where the collectors demand is. There's a reason why Arrow's output has dramatically increased over the years because they're taking advantage both of the hd format and increasing their online presence.

Shameless are fool hearty to rely on the impluse buy from retail stores (which are steadily disappearing and more than ever relying on mainstream titlea for sales) to amount to any SUBSTANTIAL sales. Now I know that Shameless will have sales stats for low uptake on THEIR blu rays (well at least two of them!) because no one wants to own cut movies in this day and age especially when they are alternative blu ray releases avaliable for those two both uncut AND cheaper than the Shameless discs.

Like I said I can imagine that there's no HD material for the two newly announced titles (but I wouldn't rule it out - there's a bunch of US labels putting out the most random movies in [good looking] blu ray) so thats fair enough but things are a changing in the collectors market, something that a lot of people here seem to be oblivious about (or more likely putting their head in the sand). By all means buy them to keep your Shameless spines growing but don't expect many others to blindly do the same.
sjconstable likes this.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
because no one wants to own cut movies in this day and age especially when they are alternative blu ray releases avaliable for those two both uncut AND cheaper than the Shameless discs.
Do tell where we can find an uncut Blu Ray of Cannibal Holocaust, or any other Blu Ray of it in fact.
I'm not a fan of buying cut movies either, like the majority on here, but because I wanted CH on BD, I bought the Shameless release, and because I wanted to support them, I also bought it on DVD too despite owning 2 further fully uncut versions.
Yes NYR can be found uncut via Blue Underground fairly cheap, but not everyone likes to import discs from the US for fear of customs charges etc. so some people chose to buy the Shameless release (I'm not one of them, I'm happy with the BU DVD for now)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th August 2013, 09:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst I do agree on some of your points, shel (particularly in reference to streaming), it is well known that the majority of Shameless' sales come from brick and mortar high street stores, and potentially a lot of their revenue is from non-collectors and even in the form of blind buys, as let's face it, most collectors such as ourselves will buy online at a cheaper price. So, there is still a big market when it comes to physically buying DVDs from shops.

This may (and has already started to) shift more towards the online market, but as for Blu-ray, aside from collectors, the market is very small, and may get even smaller with the rise in streaming and on-demand services.

I may come across as anti Blu-ray in my posts, but I am one who has pretty much gone completely Blu-ray myself, but the arrogance and the snobbery of some Blu-ray fans and their attitude towards DVD is what I abhor.
Rik and Slippery Jack like this.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Do tell where we can find an uncut Blu Ray of Cannibal Holocaust, or any other Blu Ray of it in fact.
I'm not a fan of buying cut movies either, like the majority on here, but because I wanted CH on BD, I bought the Shameless release, and because I wanted to support them, I also bought it on DVD too despite owning 2 further fully uncut versions.
Yes NYR can be found uncut via Blue Underground fairly cheap, but not everyone likes to import discs from the US for fear of customs charges etc. so some people chose to buy the Shameless release (I'm not one of them, I'm happy with the BU DVD for now)
Not wanting to be a smart arse, but there is a French blu ray of Cannibal Holocuast which I believe is uncut, but has the same transfer quality.

Also, Shameless's NYR is not cut, but more an alternate version, as it is technically the longest available cut if I remember correctly.
Rik likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th August 2013, 09:32 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
There's a French disc. *EDIT* - Fuzzy beat me to it.

As for NYR, Shameless' version, despite being cut in reference to the nipple slicing scene, does include footage that is not present in any other version - which is why I have both the BU and Shameless BDs.
Rik and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
the arrogance and the snobbery of some Blu-ray fans and their attitude towards DVD is what I abhor.
Completely agree
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th August 2013, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Not wanting to be a smart arse, but there is a French blu ray of Cannibal Holocuast which I believe is uncut, but has the same transfer quality.

Quote:
There's a French disc. *EDIT* - Fuzzy beat me to it.
I stand corrected, I thought the Shameless release was the only one, my apologies to Shel

Has it got forced French subs does anyone know?

Like this? Share it using the links below!