Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Current and Upcoming Shameless Titles

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Gosh, whilst I don't agree (Peeping Tom, or The Red Shoes, or The Wicker Man for me) that is a lovely looking page, and I look forward to giving it a proper read later. Nice work.
Old 4th August 2012, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've had the dvd for well over 10 years now and can honestly say I think it's been watched maybe twice, the last time being about 10 years ago, just didn't do it for me. My opinion may change if I rewatched it but I found it a bit slow going
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th August 2012, 10:26 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

We must have very different definitions of "Giallo" as I think Amsterdamned reeks of the genre. It's certainly as much a Giallo as, say, Stagefright, indeed more so with the detective/mystery elements of the story.
I always thought ist was unspoken label-philosophy to focus on italian films of the respective era whether they be Gialli or any other genre.

Yes, we maybe have different definitions of "gialli". I still think Amsterdamned is never near to ist. I agree it't a "whodunnit", but a classical, clean one where the Police always has the control and where the culprit is almost known from the start.

I reckon there must be several other films that would fit much netter in the catalogue and which haven't seen any decent DVD-Release yet.
Old 5th August 2012, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfulci View Post
where the culprit is almost known from the start.
But that isn't the case. It is all about red herrings and an outrageous development when it comes to the killer's identity. Very Giallo, I thought.
Old 5th August 2012, 10:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Question

I think many of us in Britain and the States etc are sometimes guilt of having a very fixed and narrow view on what makes a giallo. I've seen some people get all narky over someone labeling Suspiria a giallo, yet I don't think such comments can be simply dismissed as a classic newbie mistake.

For Italian audiences, the term "giallo" is used to refer to any kind of thriller, regardless of where it was made. Thus American, British or other western thrillers such as Psycho, Vertigo or Peeping Tom are, for Italian-speaking audiences, examples of gialli. For English-speaking audiences, the term has over time come to refer to a very specific type of Italian-produced thriller which Italian audiences have historically referred to as "thrilling all'italiana" (in other words, thrillers in an Italian style) or, sometimes, "spaghetti thrillers". So, for Italian audiences, the term "giallo" denotes a broad genre (the thriller), and the term "thrilling all'italiana" denotes the specific subgroup of films (a subgenre) that have come to be known by English-speaking viewers as gialli.

The film subgenre that emerged from these novels in the 1960s began as literal adaptations of the books, but soon began taking advantage of modern cinematic techniques to create a unique genre which veered into horror and psychological thrillers.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th August 2012, 10:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I think many of us in Britain and the States etc are sometimes guilt of having a very fixed and narrow view on what makes a giallo. I've seen some people get all narky over someone labeling Suspiria a giallo, yet I don't think such comments can be simply dismissed as a classic newbie mistake.

For Italian audiences, the term "giallo" is used to refer to any kind of thriller, regardless of where it was made. Thus American, British or other western thrillers such as Psycho, Vertigo or Peeping Tom are, for Italian-speaking audiences, examples of gialli. For English-speaking audiences, the term has over time come to refer to a very specific type of Italian-produced thriller which Italian audiences have historically referred to as "thrilling all'italiana" (in other words, thrillers in an Italian style) or, sometimes, "spaghetti thrillers". So, for Italian audiences, the term "giallo" denotes a broad genre (the thriller), and the term "thrilling all'italiana" denotes the specific subgroup of films (a subgenre) that have come to be known by English-speaking viewers as gialli.

The film subgenre that emerged from these novels in the 1960s began as literal adaptations of the books, but soon began taking advantage of modern cinematic techniques to create a unique genre which veered into horror and psychological thrillers.

Even so, I think that other than the country of origin, Amsterdamned falls neatly into the Giallo all'italiana concept, never mind that it would definitely be labelled "Giallo" in Italy as a general murder-mystery.
Old 5th August 2012, 01:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfulci View Post
I always thought ist was unspoken label-philosophy to focus on italian films of the respective era whether they be Gialli or any other genre.
I don't think that's true as Shameless just seemed to release films which hadn't been released in Britain previously or hadn't been released very well. Whether it was by design or coincidence that their first DVDs (New York Ripper, Phantom of Death, Killer Nun, Torso etc) were Italian films is something only they can answer.
Old 5th August 2012, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Since the covers are deliberately yellow in the style of old Giallo paperbacks I'd say it was definitely by design.

Shameless are probably only releasing AMSTERDMANED because the people behind Cine-Excess have talked them into it.

Their parent label Argent has put out around 20 releases and all but one - ATTACK FORCE Z - is Italian. And they only did that because it was owned by the same Italian licensor they got most of their Argent/Shameless titles from.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 5th August 2012, 02:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Even so, I think that other than the country of origin, Amsterdamned falls neatly into the Giallo all'italiana concept, never mind that it would definitely be labelled "Giallo" in Italy as a general murder-mystery.
Very true.

A great example of an American Giallo is Basic Instinct. Ha, that was directed by a Dutchman as well.
Old 5th August 2012, 05:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Since the covers are deliberately yellow in the style of old Giallo paperbacks I'd say it was definitely by design.

Shameless are probably only releasing AMSTERDMANED because the people behind Cine-Excess have talked them into it.

Their parent label Argent has put out around 20 releases and all but one - ATTACK FORCE Z - is Italian. And they only did that because it was owned by the same Italian licensor they got most of their Argent/Shameless titles from.
Very true. Actually, looking at the first 20 Shameless releases, all of them are Italian films, so it can't be a coincidence!

Like this? Share it using the links below!