Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Wes Craven's Greatest Films? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7156-wes-cravens-greatest-films.html)

Gojirosan 9th November 2011 09:59 PM

Wes Craven's New Nightmare by far. His masterpiece.

I also went for The Hills Have Eyes for old time's sake

Make Them Die Slowly 9th November 2011 10:04 PM

"Music of the Heart" is Mrs MTDS' fave.

Gojirosan 9th November 2011 10:06 PM

Oh yeah, Red Eye was Craven. Decent little flick that.

PaulD 9th November 2011 10:08 PM

Ha, The Fireworks Woman! Good ol' Abe Snake!

Vampix 10th November 2011 02:44 AM

A Nightmare On Elm Street is my personal fave, I also enjoyed The People Under The Stairs, The Last House On The Left and The Hills Have Eyes (although I prefer Alexandre Aja's remake to Craven's original).

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th November 2011 07:15 AM

I must be the only one who didn't like Red Eye. :lol:

I felt sorry for Cillian Murphy as he stumbled through what must be one of the worst scripts every written.

The anti-climactic ending was the final nail in the coffin of this dull and forgettable film.

darthelvis 10th November 2011 07:27 AM

Love People Under the Stairs & Serpent & The Rainbow. For anyone interested Scream 4 Blu Ray is only £4.99 on play.com as deal of the day. Not seen it yet and suspect it is rubbish but for £5 can't complain.

oaxaca 10th November 2011 12:52 PM

SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW is easily my favourite Craven film. Its a genuinely freaky horror film with Zakes Mokae acting seriously evil. The best voodoo-based horror movie ever. I doubt Bill Pullman is able to have babies anymore.

I voted for THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, THE HILLS HAVE EYES and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET too. I remember SHOCKER being good for a laugh n all :p Haven't seen DEADLY BLESSING, sounds interesting that one.

wayfarer 10th November 2011 12:55 PM

I'm not a big fan of Wes Craven, but I'm no hater either. Last House was a powerhouse of a brutal movie, at the time. Hills Have Eyes was an interesting take on similar material. I actually prefer the remake. I found Deadly Blessing, deadly dull but could see what he was attempting in a couple of scenes. The original Nightmare was an innovative way to make a splatter movie. People forget that the original wasn't quite as jokey as the rest. Craven's attempt at reinventing the slasher, through the Scream series has to be admired and it led on to a new wave of horror; pity it was mainly PG-13.

For me, his stand out movie is The Serpent and The Rainbow. By the time I saw it I was already a big zombie film fan and liked the more realistic approach. The idea of voodoo using blowfish toxin as a method for "reanimating" the dead was well known and had been used in a Miami Vice episode. So, I was familiar with some of the background, but never got around to reading the book that the movie was based upon, if there was one?

I did sit a little uncomfortably during one of the scenes.;)

oaxaca 10th November 2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 196652)
I'm not a big fan of Wes Craven, but I'm no hater either. Last House was a powerhouse of a brutal movie, at the time. Hills Have Eyes was an interesting take on similar material. I actually prefer the remake. I found Deadly Blessing, deadly dull but could see what he was attempting in a couple of scenes. The original Nightmare was an innovative way to make a splatter movie. People forget that the original wasn't quite as jokey as the rest. Craven's attempt at reinventing the slasher, through the Scream series has to be admired and it led on to a new wave of horror; pity it was mainly PG-13.

For me, his stand out movie is The Serpent and The Rainbow. By the time I saw it I was already a big zombie film fan and liked the more realistic approach. The idea of voodoo using blowfish toxin as a method for "reanimating" the dead was well known and had been used in a Miami Vice episode. So, I was familiar with some of the background, but never got around to reading the book that the movie was based upon, if there was one?

I did sit a little uncomfortably during one of the scenes.;)

Its based on the factual book by Wade Davis, a Harvard ethnobotany student. He really did go to Haiti and delve into the mysteries surrounding 'vodoun' and the constituents & pharmacology of the zombie powder they use. Check his book out its a great read! He's a real life Indiana Jones. Works as a photographer for National Geographic now and is a bit of a cult legend amongst the biology students that know of him :p

He hated, HATED, what Wes Craven did with his book btw... Guess he's not a fan of the horror movie :p

The Serpent and the Rainbow: Amazon.co.uk: Davis: Books