Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)

Like Tree145Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2011, 01:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm not a pessimistic person whatsoever but I too am a little disappointed in no Blu-ray release. Only selfishly though (as I'm only collecting the Arrow and Shameless BD releases) and this is one film that I've been wwanting to see for many years now and have always held off knowing a BD release would be inevitable. I wouldn't import the current BD from Italy though as I want to watch it first before buying whereas when it comes to Arrow and Shameless I buy first then watch

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 18th October 2011, 01:06 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I know how all this works and I understand Shameless are working on a tight budget (and yes, I'm fully aware that these aren't mainstream titles) but they weren't the only company affected by that fire and, assuming they had insurance, they would have been refunded for the loss. Many of the other companies affected have carried on and announced BD releases. Yes, some of these labels may be slightly bigger but some aren't and they've carried on.

I would have ordered a BD without hesitation but now I'll be ordering the Italian release instead. I rather they'd have just ****ed off HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK and spent the money of giving us a great BD of a genuine classic.

I'm not having ago at you Sarah as I know you only post the info you're given, but it's just really frustrating.
Yes, other companies have been affected and actually most of them are significantly bigger than Shameless - which is literally two people - and so have had bigger budgets from the get-go.

Insurance isn't necessarily paying out too. Insurance companies take forever to pay out at the best of times and I don't know how/if this has affected Shameless but many insurers are refusing to pay out over the riots saying compensation should come from the police instead, claiming that they let the riots get out of hand therefore it's their job to pay out (it was on BBC News a few weeks back).

Plus, while they may have been refunded for the lost stock, they have still gone for weeks with virtually no stock in stores since Sony have to get back on their feet and reproduce everyone's (as in Shameless and all those other affected companies) destroyed stock and deliver it to retailers. Since a lot of people have been posting that they can't find various Shameless titles, we know that this is still ongoing. This means that for several weeks, sales have been down significantly.

I know you're not having a go and I appreciate your frustration but imagine how the guys at Shameless feel? You don't get a Blu-ray but this is their livelihood and it's simply not as black and white as people are trying to make out.
Sargento likes this.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Still waiting on...

I'd love to see Stage Fright get a Blu release. It's one of my most anticipated titles for HD, plus that cover of yours is excellent, SJ.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Surely it would be worthwhile for SL to invest in Blu...I see the majority of folks only buying this sort of title on DVD if there was no other choice or it was substantially worth it.

I feel a shudder of disappointment when there are new announcements but no Blu!

Why don't you do a Blu/DVD combo? Everyone seems to be doing that!
Old 18th October 2011, 01:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm in the Blu-Ray camp here too I'm afraid. I sold my ABUS DVD purely with the intent to go to BD when the Italian one came out. I don't intend on buying another DVD of it and it would have been much nicer to give my money to Shameless.

Don't worry, I fully understand it's a risk on Shameless' part. It's just a shame it has to be that way. I could see this doing well on BD as it's still easier and cheaper for other countries in general to import from the UK than Italy.
Old 18th October 2011, 01:13 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
Why don't you do a Blu/DVD combo? Everyone seems to be doing that!
Not sure how many times I can say this before I go mad but it boils down to cost. Blu-ray discs cost a lot more than DVDs to produce. If a company can't afford to produce the discs, then it can't release them. It's as simple as that.

I'm starting to get the distinct impression that several people posting on here would rather see Shameless go under than do without a Blu-ray...
Old 18th October 2011, 01:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Meh. Blu Ray is overrated Sure, the picutre looks a bit nicer, but I'm perfectly happy with my dvds.

I'll get me coat. . .
Old 18th October 2011, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Not sure how many times I can say this before I go mad but it boils down to cost. Blu-ray discs cost a lot more than DVDs to produce. If a company can't afford to produce the discs, then it can't release them. It's as simple as that.

I'm starting to get the distinct impression that several people posting on here would rather see Shameless go under than do without a Blu-ray...
Haha, you're funny. Seriously, I love Shameless releases.

DVDs are 2nd class, Blus kick ass. Simple as that.

Spending cash on a blu surely will be worth it?
Spending cash on a DVD that is in the majority of collections is just daft IMO.

SL kick ass and I do appreciate their work!
Old 18th October 2011, 01:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Meh. Blu Ray is overrated Sure, the picutre looks a bit nicer, but I'm perfectly happy with my dvds.

I'll get me coat. . .
I agree with you to an extent
sure, most blu rays will give an excellent picture quality compared to standard dvd, but I buy certain blu rays e.g. my fave film SCARFACE, and ALEN ANTHOLOGY
but overall I am still buying mostly dvds, after all its not worth buying some blu rays, when the pq is not much different to dvd
sometimes its a case of companies being crafty such as THE HEARTBREAK KID and INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
the former is uncut, and the latter has more extras unlike the dvd equivalents
each to their own
Old 18th October 2011, 01:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

As Shameless are still a fairly new (and small-scale) company, I think testing the water with cheaper-to-make DVD versions are good way of establishing a market demand for certain titles (i.e. good sales of NYR = later special edition DVD & BD release), but as it has been stated on here (to my surprise) many times, that over-the-counter retail sales of Shameless' titles still make up the biggest proportion of their total sales.

This implies that the majority of customers don't/seldom shop online, and therefore probably won't have imported a copy of this title from overseas.
Sarah@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!