Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   A few words from Shameless (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dellamorte-dellamore-cemetery-man/7152-few-words-shameless.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 01:27 PM

A few words from Shameless

Shameless have been reading the comments posted in the announcement thread for Dellamorte Dellamore and there are few things that they would like me to clear up with their fans.

Firstly, the title!

Shameless has every intention of using the original title of Dellamorte Dellamore. However, the film is best known by its alternate title, The Cemetery Man so Shameless have decided to use both. The title, then, will most probably be something like: Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man with varying degrees of font size and colour. So both titles will be featured on the packaging.

Now, to the Blu-ray debate.

First off, someone has asked whether another company would be able to release a UK BD while Shameless hold the rights. The answer is, of course, no, since Shameless' rights are exclusive.

Now, Shameless have told me that they were initially informed that they would have HD materials as part of their license. However, these were not forthcoming as, it turns out, the licensors managed to lose their only HD master-master (that's not a typo - by "master-master" I mean the ultimate Big Daddy HD master) before the summer and apparently the only copy that's available has audio issues which they are attempting to correct. So, as it turns out, if the issue isn't correctable, Shameless would have to produce their own HD master making cost, as we've already mentioned, a very big factor. As it stands now the issues with the film's HD audio mean that Shameless could not release a version of the film that they would be happy with in terms of it being the highest possible quality. Shameless have told me that a Dellamorte Dellamore Blu-ray is still a potential option, just not right now, and is entirely dependent on the quality of the materials available to them.

As for the possibility of future Blu-rays of other Shameless titles, which has also come up in this thread. The Sony fire is not going to stop Shameless in any way, shape or form, despite causing some temporary setbacks. Shameless are not closing and they will continue to release DVDs and Blu-rays of the highest possible quality.

In fact, Shameless will endeavor to upgrade its present releases to high definition where appropriate. This means that where Shameless are satisfied that the HD materials available to them are of the absolute best audio and visual quality they will upgrade.

They have set the bar high with their brilliant New York Ripper and Cannibal Holocaust BDs and, as you know from the Four Flies delay, they are not happy with releasing second-rate materials. So, not every Shameless release will get an upgrade to yello-ray, but some will. So, in the case of a film like Footprints, where the materials have more or less disappeared, there will be no Blu-ray unless the cost of BD authoring, mastering and replicating is dramatically reduced. However, there are several films from the collection (and I don’t know which ones so don’t ask! ;)) that Shameless are currently assessing and deciding as to whether or not they will upgrade them to HD, dependent on the quality of materials.

So, in short, both titles will be used for Dellamorte Dellamore, Blu-ray has not been ruled out for it, and other Blu-rays are being looked into from the Shameless back catalogue. Plus, Shameless continue to acquire rights to other titles for release on Blu-ray and/or DVD.

Hope this clears up some of the issues raised in the announcement thread and now I'm off for a cuppa!

:tea:

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 01:33 PM

The film is best known as Cemetery Man? I'd hardly say that. Really only in a few countries was it called CM.

Sorry to sound so negative Sarah but Dellamorte Dellamore Is The Cemetery Man? It doesn't even make any sense. The characters name is Francesco Dellamorte, not Dellamorte Dellamore.

There, I've said my piece

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 01:36 PM

It would be better to have Cemetery Man on one side and Dellamorte Dellamore on the reverse.

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 196333)
The film is best known as Cemetery Man? I'd hardly say that. Really only in a few countries was it called CM.

Yes, but Shameless is targeting English-speaking territories in which it would have been known (the little it is known since it's popularity is largely among people who know the genre well) as Cemetery Man.

I think the aim is to get both titles on there since Dellamorte Dellamore is a fan-favourite, while Cemetery Man will attract the more casual browsers. They're just trying to keep everyone happy.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 01:39 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. Oh well.

nekromantik 9th November 2011 01:50 PM

there is so much co-motion about this title :lol:
not surprising though as its a fan fav movie.

gag 9th November 2011 01:51 PM

I couldnt take to it that much tbo,

Gold6082 9th November 2011 02:44 PM

I know the film under both names but the former is better known over the latter,however I do feel the name "Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man " is more of a tagline than a title and if I am honest as a title it makes me cringe!.

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 02:52 PM

I don't think it's going to be written across the top of the box like:

Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man

I think it'll be more that one title is given prominence over the other, so:

Dellamorte Dellamore
is The Cemetery Man

Shameless are still tossing ideas around though so all feedback is good.

sjconstable 9th November 2011 03:03 PM

Just put 'aka Cemetery Man' in brackets, the 'Is the' part is superfluous. Plus, that's the US title anyway, the literal international title is 'Of Death, Of Love'/'Of Death and Love'.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:06 PM

Just don't call it Of Death, Of Love. :lol:

keirarts 9th November 2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 196333)

Sorry to sound so negative Sarah but Dellamorte Dellamore Is The Cemetery Man? It doesn't even make any sense. The characters name is Francesco Dellamorte, not Dellamorte Dellamore.

There, I've said my piece

dellamorte dellamore dosent make any sense. They should call the film CEMETARY MAN as that was the title of the previous u.k release, then do a redemtion and keep the international title in brackets underneath. People who only remember the film from vhs and casual punters wont get turned off by the notion of buying an 'art' movie while surley we cult film fans are capable of dealing with alternate titles?!

Sureley then everyone is happy?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:11 PM

Nope! :lol: although, It's all swings and roundabouts really, I already have 1 dvd and 2 blu-rays, so I really don't need another.

James Morton 9th November 2011 03:26 PM

Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man > A few words from Shameless

I have the Italian Medusa dvd under its proper title DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE and the R1 Anchor Bay title CEMETERY MAN
Americans (not all of course), but esp. the distributors etc, are ignorant of other languages
Another company didn't change the Spanish horror title ROJO SANGRE with Paul Naschy to name many others.....

Rassilon 9th November 2011 03:26 PM

When I first saw the film it was called Cemetery Man. which I think is a great title. Even those who don't like the title know what film it is. I don't understand why everyone is twisting all the time over this. You know it will have a reverseable sleeve to keep you happy. First it was the lack of BD (which is a fair twist, but the title on the box isn't).
It will help those unfamilair with the film pick it up and take an interest.

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:29 PM

Incidentally, a the majority of my OP is on the reasoning behind the lack of BD and how it might be a possibility in the future for this and other Shameless titles but no one's mentioned it.

Really surprised as I though that would be the thing people would jump on! Especially as the title isn't finalised yet.

:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 196379)
Incidentally, a the majority of my OP is on the reasoning behind the lack of BD and how it might be a possibility in the future for this and other Shameless titles but no one's mentioned it.

Really surprised as I though that would be the thing people would jump on! Especially as the title isn't finalised yet.

:)

You explained the BD issue brilliantly. No more needs to be said. :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 196381)
You explained the BD issue brilliantly. No more needs to be said. :)

Did I ever tell you how much I like you?

;)

Seriously, I thought the licensors losing their HD master would have instigated more comment than it has. It certainly got a shocked laugh out of me when Shameless told me!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:40 PM

Apart from saying how ridiculous the losing the master situation is, there's not a lot you can really say/show in the printed word.

A persons reaction to the news and the look on their face and sound of their voice can't be translated to print.

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 196383)
Apart from saying how ridiculous the losing the master situation is, there's not a lot you can really say/show in the printed word.

A persons reaction to the news and the look on their face and sound of their voice can't be translated to print.

Indeed, you are right.

Ah, well, back to the title-issue we go.

Incidentally, I am passing all comments re: the title back to Shameless and they're reading this thread so they'll take all comments into account. :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:54 PM

Oh, and if anyone finds a HD master for the film down the side of the sofa or something, could you let Shameless know please?

;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 196384)
Incidentally, I am passing all comments re: the title back to Shameless and they're reading this thread so they'll take all comments into account. :)

And sitting there saying to themselves... Ungrateful swines! :lol:

Prince_Vajda 9th November 2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 196331)
The title, then, will most probably be something like: Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man with varying degrees of font size and colour. So both titles will be featured on the packaging.

Sorry, but this title arrangement is horrible. It has to be either Dellamorte Dellamore (preferably) or The Cemetery Man, but definitely not both! :nono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 196331)
Now, Shameless have told me that they were initially informed that they would have HD materials as part of their license. However, these were not forthcoming as, it turns out, the licensors managed to lose their only HD master-master (that's not a typo - by "master-master" I mean the ultimate Big Daddy HD master) before the summer and apparently the only copy that's available has audio issues which they are attempting to correct.

Holy smoke! How can such a thing happen? :crazy: Sue those bastards! :mad2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 196383)

Yes, they can! Just read some plays written by Shaw or Wilde - with all the stage directions you can really imagine how the faces of Mrs Warren or Lady Windermere look and how they say what they say! :nod:

Greetings!

Daemonia 9th November 2011 04:56 PM

How can you lose the master? What kind of idiots are running the telecine lab over in Rome?

Prince_Vajda 9th November 2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 196399)
How can you lose the master? What kind of idiots are running the telecine lab over in Rome?

Most likely the same people who use DNRS till you've got wax faces and add artificial digital grain afterwards. :tsk:

Greetings!

platostotal 9th November 2011 05:14 PM

Some mock-up artwork might quell the masses:lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 196399)

Did they check behind the fridge? It's almost always there ;)

In regards to the title saga Dellamorte Dellamore AKA Cemetery Man (as gasteropod stated) would work a hell of a lot better. Dellamorte Dellamore is the Cemetery Man just sounds stupid, and make's Shameless appear to be a company who don't have a clue about the titles they are releasing, when this is clearly not the case.

It's great to hear that Shameless are looking into releasing some of their back catalogue on BD, too. With Blue Underground announcing both Night Train Murders and Strip Nude for Your Killer on BD next year, I'd love to see UK releases of these two from Shameless in the trademark yellow cases. Ditto the already released Torso. :nod:

R-T-C Tim 9th November 2011 06:48 PM

The title issue is simple.

On the main side, visible to punters, have Cemetery Man, with Dellamorte Dellamore in small print. On the inside have a complete Dellamorte Dellamore version.

Mojo 9th November 2011 06:52 PM

I'd like to see Shameless follow their own path and release Blu-rays of films that Blue Underground haven't released on BD, such as What Have They Done To Your Daughters?, The Black Cat and Manhattan Baby.

Always keen to hear of new titles too of course.

sjconstable 9th November 2011 07:09 PM

I would like Mrs. Wardh on Blu-ray :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th November 2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 196436)
I'd like to see Shameless follow their own path and release Blu-rays of films that Blue Underground haven't released on BD, such as What Have They Done To Your Daughters?, The Black Cat and Manhattan Baby.

Always keen to hear of new titles too of course.

Agreed.

I mainly mentioned the above titles as it would be a great way for Shameless to save on costs (and in turn hopefully provide us with more UK exclusives and never before released gems in the future) if they could use BU's HD masters.

wayfarer 9th November 2011 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info Sarah! Very interesting.

I agree with those that hate the title. Dellamorte Dellamore is The Cemetery Man sounds horrible. I also agree with those that suggested a reversible cover that has the different titles on different covers. As we all know from shopping for these titles, shops always seem to use both covers. Well, they do in FOPP.:)

mercury 9th November 2011 08:03 PM

Couldn't they do Cemetery Man on one side and Dellamorte Dellamore on the other. Then use for example Cemetery man as the main cover with a sticker stating the aka title?

Nemesis 9th November 2011 08:06 PM

Unfortunately, my two favourite Shameless releases are the ones that probably could not be easily upgraded to blu:

Watch me when I kill
The Designated Victim

Paul@TheOverlook 9th November 2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 196475)
Couldn't they do Cemetery Man on one side and Dellamorte Dellamore on the other. Then use for example Cemetery man as the main cover with a sticker stating the aka title?

That was a similar suggestion to one I thought of. While the film was released here in the UK as Cemetery Man, it was issued by Entertainment in Video only on VHS and only for the rental market. It had a bigger splash in the US under the same name and was released in cinemas, VHS, LaserDisc and later on DVD.

Cemetery Man is definitely a more commercial title and is one that will appeal to casual fans of horror, whereas Dellamorte Dellamore sounds to be a foreign language film. My suggestion would be to have DD printed on the covers with the CM title stickered over it - that way it goes out as the more mainstream product, doesn't run the risk of confusing anyone and keeps the fans happy too.

Delirium 9th November 2011 10:43 PM

To echo others, put 'Cemetery Man' (with Dellamorte Dellamore in brackets underneath) on one side, and 'Dellamorte Dellamore' on the other.

Consider this my vote! :)

Sobral 9th November 2011 11:57 PM

Dellamorte Dellamore is the Cemetery Man doesn't sound right to me either, nor does it make sense.
Just put the two titles in a different font, or use AKA, like in Footprints.

BAKA 10th November 2011 12:35 AM

I think I agree with the general consensus regarding the name. It's just silly.

The less said about the seemingly mixed messages in such a short period of time regarding the Blu-ray issue the better, far be it from me to stir up that 'debate' again, but it can only be a good thing that Shameless are endeavoring to upgrade some of their back catalog, especially as that is in stark contrast to the picture we were painted only days ago. It's good Shameless' fortunes seem to be on the up (insurance payout?). I know another small company (Beez) also affected by the fire, has openly discussed cash flow issues relating to the huge commitment of reprinting stock, so some of this is very welcome news.

Daemonia 10th November 2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 196387)
Oh, and if anyone finds a HD master for the film down the side of the sofa or something, could you let Shameless know please?

;)

Actually, and pardon my cynicism here, but has it occurred to anyone at Shameless that they haven't lost it all, but are merely trying to get Shameless to stump up more money for a 'new' HD master? If Shameless produce the money, what's the betting the licensor won't create a new HD master at all, but will simply provide the HD master they had all along.

I know, it's very cynical of me, but nothing would surprise me in the murky world of business. I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing they simply lost it. That's ridiculous. Are we really expected to believe this? No lab worth its salt would lose the masters they create, I mean, how far can it go? It must be in the lab somewhere, unless they cart around the masters with them to parties or something. I dunno, sounds all very fishy to me.

vaultkeeper 10th November 2011 02:22 AM

"Dellamorte Dellamore is the Cemetery Man" would be a horrible title, there isnt any character in this movie named Dellamorte Dellamore, the name of the actor is Rupert Everett, and the name of the character is Francesco Dellamorte, so it should be eighter "Rupert Everett is the Cemetery Man" or "Francesco Dellamorte is the Cemetery Man"
My suggestion is to have Cemetery Man on one side, and Dellamorte Dellamore on the other side, that would make EVERYONE happy!