Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)

Poll: Which is the best artwork panel?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which is the best artwork panel?

Like Tree13Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 7th February 2012, 10:56 AM
iluvdvds@Cult Labs's Avatar
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 9,865
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Some very interesting reactions to the reverse there!

Here's a sneak peak at the cover of the booklet...

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 7th February 2012, 10:58 AM
PaulD's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 6,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
By the way, if I get time I'll dig up the initial rough sketches I did for Bay of Blood. After all the hullabaloo over Inferno I decided they were too sexual in nature and went for the head/tentacle thing and wound up getting smacked down even harder!
Please do! Would be interested to see what scenes you based it on (although I have a fair idea!). I enjoyed the Bay of Blood painting although it was an odd part of the film to choose!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 7th February 2012, 11:53 AM
Beyond72's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,898
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post

Thank God, Gojirosan! I knocked up a mock cover for this film (see attached) and even though it's not to be taken seriously at least it's not just swiped off the first image that pops up when you google Dellamorte Dellamore! C'mon guys, you could all wang these photo montage pieces up in 20 minutes with photoshop after even the most rudimentery training.

Illustrated covers are sooo 1980's.





J/K!
__________________
BEYOND HORROR DESIGN
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 7th February 2012, 12:06 PM
antmumford's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Worthing
Posts: 3,135
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
Well yes sex does sell but I don't put it on as many illustrations as people think, maybe one in five, and never unless I'm asked to or the film is best sold that way. Saying I put too many tits on my covers is like saying The Dude puts too many guns on his! These are the jobs we are given. Obviously if I'm given Phenonema then I'll treat it with respect but hand me Caligula and I'll slather it in hooters! Strangely though, people appear more offended by sexy paintings than sexy photos. After all it's not as though I posted Anna Falchi all perky nipped and straddling some guy in a graveyard! Compared to the Shameless cover my mock up is pure Disney!
By the way, if I get time I'll dig up the initial rough sketches I did for Bay of Blood. After all the hullabaloo over Inferno I decided they were too sexual in nature and went for the head/tentacle thing and wound up getting smacked down even harder!
Woah, just realised that it's THE Rick Melton posting. Didn't realise you posted on here too. Can I just say in a true fan/geekboy way. I absolutely adore your The Beyond artwork and can honestly say it's one of the greatest pieces of film art I have ever seen in my life, no kidding. Anyway just had to get that off my chest.
You deserve your own thread on here mate to promote more of your art. Haven't seen ay of your work on recent Arrow Video releases and I miss them dearly.

Anyway, sorry guys
__________________
A Night of living terror led to a Dawn of false hope but nothing before will prepare you for the darkest Day the world has ever known

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 7th February 2012, 12:17 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Posts: 19,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
Well yes sex does sell but I don't put it on as many illustrations as people think, maybe one in five, and never unless I'm asked to or the film is best sold that way. Saying I put too many tits on my covers is like saying The Dude puts too many guns on his! These are the jobs we are given. Obviously if I'm given Phenonema then I'll treat it with respect but hand me Caligula and I'll slather it in hooters! Strangely though, people appear more offended by sexy paintings than sexy photos. After all it's not as though I posted Anna Falchi all perky nipped and straddling some guy in a graveyard! Compared to the Shameless cover my mock up is pure Disney!
By the way, if I get time I'll dig up the initial rough sketches I did for Bay of Blood. After all the hullabaloo over Inferno I decided they were too sexual in nature and went for the head/tentacle thing and wound up getting smacked down even harder!
The Dude does put far too many guns on his covers! Your comments are fair. And thanks for replying Rick.
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 7th February 2012, 12:57 PM
stunner's Avatar
Active Cultist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Illustrated covers are sooo 1980's.





J/K!
That's true, but all that 80's stuff is highly collectable nowadays. How much of todays stuff will people want hanging on their walls in 30 years time? By the way, if anybody has the original Reynolds artwork for Attack of the 50 foot Woman I'll swap you my house for it!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 7th February 2012, 02:30 PM
Beyond72's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
That's true, but all that 80's stuff is highly collectable nowadays. How much of todays stuff will people want hanging on their walls in 30 years time? By the way, if anybody has the original Reynolds artwork for Attack of the 50 foot Woman I'll swap you my house for it!
I was joking. I use to draw all the time, (and started out before computers took over, and use to do anything by hand, when I was doing flyers back in the day.) so appreciate a painting/drawing can take so much more time and effort than a photo montage.

Yet I still don't think that means an illustrated cover is more worthy than a photo montage, they either work or they don't.

I agree that Photoshop has killed a lot of the creativity of poster art/covers, yet for me the photo collages/graphic design work featured on Japanese posters/press kits of the 70's or 80's are just as amazing as the painted posters/covers of the time.
__________________
BEYOND HORROR DESIGN
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 7th February 2012, 03:24 PM
Gojirosan's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
slather it in hooters!
Now there's a phrase that will keep me smiling through the day.

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 7th February 2012, 07:05 PM
stunner's Avatar
Active Cultist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I was joking. I use to draw all the time, (and started out before computers took over, and use to do anything by hand, when I was doing flyers back in the day.) so appreciate a painting/drawing can take so much more time and effort than a photo montage.

Yet I still don't think that means an illustrated cover is more worthy than a photo montage, they either work or they don't.

I agree that Photoshop has killed a lot of the creativity of poster art/covers, yet for me the photo collages/graphic design work featured on Japanese posters/press kits of the 70's or 80's are just as amazing as the painted posters/covers of the time.
Sorry Beyond, of course you were joking. I'm new to this forum thing and haven't sussed out all these little faces yet! I don't care for photo montages because nowadays we all have access to the images and they're relatively easy to put together. To be honest even oil painted montages are easy. Bumnumbingly boring to work on but easy! My favourite poster artists from the 80's all used skill and imagination to create one single kickass scene. Undoubtedly the best came from Graham Humphreys, he was the king. Still is! You are right about those Japanese posters, things of absolute beauty. Also, there are tremendous posters put together today by talented photographers. I was referring to those DVD covers that are simply made up from predictable old film stills. Start painting again! There has never been a better time to be a traditional poster artist, mainly because most of the good ones are dead!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 8th February 2012, 10:32 AM
Beyond72's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
Sorry Beyond, of course you were joking. I'm new to this forum thing and haven't sussed out all these little faces yet! I don't care for photo montages because nowadays we all have access to the images and they're relatively easy to put together. To be honest even oil painted montages are easy. Bumnumbingly boring to work on but easy! My favourite poster artists from the 80's all used skill and imagination to create one single kickass scene. Undoubtedly the best came from Graham Humphreys, he was the king. Still is! You are right about those Japanese posters, things of absolute beauty. Also, there are tremendous posters put together today by talented photographers. I was referring to those DVD covers that are simply made up from predictable old film stills. Start painting again! There has never been a better time to be a traditional poster artist, mainly because most of the good ones are dead!
I was never up to the standard of poster art! I use to do mainly cartoony stuff. But people messing me about on commissions, sadly, slowly killed my love of drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thebombfrontcover.jpg (99.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Beyond Werewolf.jpg (96.7 KB, 9 views)
__________________
BEYOND HORROR DESIGN

Last edited by Beyond72; 8th February 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.