Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)

Poll: Which is the best artwork panel?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which is the best artwork panel?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2012, 11:56 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Some very interesting reactions to the reverse there!

Here's a sneak peak at the cover of the booklet...

Old 7th February 2012, 11:58 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunner View Post
By the way, if I get time I'll dig up the initial rough sketches I did for Bay of Blood. After all the hullabaloo over Inferno I decided they were too sexual in nature and went for the head/tentacle thing and wound up getting smacked down even harder!
Please do! Would be interested to see what scenes you based it on (although I have a fair idea!). I enjoyed the Bay of Blood painting although it was an odd part of the film to choose!
Old 7th February 2012, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wink

Quote:

Thank God, Gojirosan! I knocked up a mock cover for this film (see attached) and even though it's not to be taken seriously at least it's not just swiped off the first image that pops up when you google Dellamorte Dellamore! C'mon guys, you could all wang these photo montage pieces up in 20 minutes with photoshop after even the most rudimentery training.

Illustrated covers are sooo 1980's.

J/K!
Old 7th February 2012, 01:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Well yes sex does sell but I don't put it on as many illustrations as people think, maybe one in five, and never unless I'm asked to or the film is best sold that way. Saying I put too many tits on my covers is like saying The Dude puts too many guns on his! These are the jobs we are given. Obviously if I'm given Phenonema then I'll treat it with respect but hand me Caligula and I'll slather it in hooters! Strangely though, people appear more offended by sexy paintings than sexy photos. After all it's not as though I posted Anna Falchi all perky nipped and straddling some guy in a graveyard! Compared to the Shameless cover my mock up is pure Disney!
By the way, if I get time I'll dig up the initial rough sketches I did for Bay of Blood. After all the hullabaloo over Inferno I decided they were too sexual in nature and went for the head/tentacle thing and wound up getting smacked down even harder!
Woah, just realised that it's THE Rick Melton posting. Didn't realise you posted on here too. Can I just say in a true fan/geekboy way. I absolutely adore your The Beyond artwork and can honestly say it's one of the greatest pieces of film art I have ever seen in my life, no kidding. Anyway just had to get that off my chest.
You deserve your own thread on here mate to promote more of your art. Haven't seen ay of your work on recent Arrow Video releases and I miss them dearly.

Anyway, sorry guys

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 7th February 2012, 01:17 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well yes sex does sell but I don't put it on as many illustrations as people think, maybe one in five, and never unless I'm asked to or the film is best sold that way. Saying I put too many tits on my covers is like saying The Dude puts too many guns on his! These are the jobs we are given. Obviously if I'm given Phenonema then I'll treat it with respect but hand me Caligula and I'll slather it in hooters! Strangely though, people appear more offended by sexy paintings than sexy photos. After all it's not as though I posted Anna Falchi all perky nipped and straddling some guy in a graveyard! Compared to the Shameless cover my mock up is pure Disney!
The Dude does put far too many guns on his covers! Your comments are fair. And thanks for replying Rick.
Old 7th February 2012, 01:57 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Illustrated covers are sooo 1980's.

J/K!
That's true, but all that 80's stuff is highly collectable nowadays. How much of todays stuff will people want hanging on their walls in 30 years time? By the way, if anybody has the original Reynolds artwork for Attack of the 50 foot Woman I'll swap you my house for it!
Old 7th February 2012, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
That's true, but all that 80's stuff is highly collectable nowadays. How much of todays stuff will people want hanging on their walls in 30 years time? By the way, if anybody has the original Reynolds artwork for Attack of the 50 foot Woman I'll swap you my house for it!
I was joking. I use to draw all the time, (and started out before computers took over, and use to do anything by hand, when I was doing flyers back in the day.) so appreciate a painting/drawing can take so much more time and effort than a photo montage.

Yet I still don't think that means an illustrated cover is more worthy than a photo montage, they either work or they don't.

I agree that Photoshop has killed a lot of the creativity of poster art/covers, yet for me the photo collages/graphic design work featured on Japanese posters/press kits of the 70's or 80's are just as amazing as the painted posters/covers of the time.
Old 7th February 2012, 04:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
slather it in hooters!
Now there's a phrase that will keep me smiling through the day.

Old 7th February 2012, 08:05 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I was joking. I use to draw all the time, (and started out before computers took over, and use to do anything by hand, when I was doing flyers back in the day.) so appreciate a painting/drawing can take so much more time and effort than a photo montage.

Yet I still don't think that means an illustrated cover is more worthy than a photo montage, they either work or they don't.

I agree that Photoshop has killed a lot of the creativity of poster art/covers, yet for me the photo collages/graphic design work featured on Japanese posters/press kits of the 70's or 80's are just as amazing as the painted posters/covers of the time.
Sorry Beyond, of course you were joking. I'm new to this forum thing and haven't sussed out all these little faces yet! I don't care for photo montages because nowadays we all have access to the images and they're relatively easy to put together. To be honest even oil painted montages are easy. Bumnumbingly boring to work on but easy! My favourite poster artists from the 80's all used skill and imagination to create one single kickass scene. Undoubtedly the best came from Graham Humphreys, he was the king. Still is! You are right about those Japanese posters, things of absolute beauty. Also, there are tremendous posters put together today by talented photographers. I was referring to those DVD covers that are simply made up from predictable old film stills. Start painting again! There has never been a better time to be a traditional poster artist, mainly because most of the good ones are dead!
Old 8th February 2012, 11:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Sorry Beyond, of course you were joking. I'm new to this forum thing and haven't sussed out all these little faces yet! I don't care for photo montages because nowadays we all have access to the images and they're relatively easy to put together. To be honest even oil painted montages are easy. Bumnumbingly boring to work on but easy! My favourite poster artists from the 80's all used skill and imagination to create one single kickass scene. Undoubtedly the best came from Graham Humphreys, he was the king. Still is! You are right about those Japanese posters, things of absolute beauty. Also, there are tremendous posters put together today by talented photographers. I was referring to those DVD covers that are simply made up from predictable old film stills. Start painting again! There has never been a better time to be a traditional poster artist, mainly because most of the good ones are dead!
I was never up to the standard of poster art! I use to do mainly cartoony stuff. But people messing me about on commissions, sadly, slowly killed my love of drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thebombfrontcover.jpg (99.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Beyond Werewolf.jpg (96.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Beyond72; 8th February 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!