Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > The Designated Victim

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2009, 11:52 AM
Cultist

Default Now and Then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I saw the film when it was released by New Entertainment World a couple of years ago but having been to Venice last year, I immediately recognised one of the locations
Bit late for this release obviously but I did think that now Shameless are taking steps into the world of extras 'Now and Then' featurette would be nice for some of these films. They're a regular feature on the Dr Who range where they find the old filming locations and compare the same shots now with what was filmed at the time.

Obviously they have the benefit of all the filming being in the UK and a bit of cash which makes it easier - but some comparisons of the locations in films like Designated Victim, Who Saw Her Die and Torso (with a bit of a commentary) would make excellent viewing. Even still images with some good editing / production would work.

Probably cash prohibative though...

(Oh - I'm back by the way. Easing myself back into the saddle...)

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 27th January 2009, 12:44 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well Dr Who DVDs do sell a touch more... That said it's a good idea but I suspect it would be along the lines of us slinging someone some cash (a very tiny pile) if someone else happens to be vacationing and films some (usable!) footage. As we increasingly find out here that are ways to get around the lack of cash these days - especially with the aid of technology. Welcome back onto the boards Dougal!
Old 29th January 2009, 12:22 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
Well Dr Who DVDs do sell a touch more... That said it's a good idea but I suspect it would be along the lines of us slinging someone some cash (a very tiny pile) if someone else happens to be vacationing and films some (usable!) footage. As we increasingly find out here that are ways to get around the lack of cash these days - especially with the aid of technology. Welcome back onto the boards Dougal!
Well - I suppose hindsight is wonderful as ever but a few days in Venice for example would have covered off footage for Designated Victim and Who Saw Her Die so there's the ability to split the costs of a couple of releases over one shoot etc.

The costs are undoubtedly prohibative though as you'd need someone who knows the film intimately, could research the locations used and then was prepared to spend time trying to recreate the angls and shots used.

Regarding the Doctor Who DVDs it's interesting to note that until this year all the work on restoring the old shows and making extras was done by a small team of fans who worked at the BBC or were film makers, designers etc. Although they presumably got paid costs and a comission I get the feeling that much of what has been produced was a labour of love in many cases.

They have an excellent website for anyone who is interested in film restoration where they detail the process they go through to clean up film from the 60s and 70s as well as details of how they put together the extras.

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon

Last edited by dougal; 29th January 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 29th January 2009, 12:24 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

They're an impressive bunch - you just know you're getting the best when that much love is involved.
Old 1st February 2009, 08:41 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Review of the Shameless DVD is now up, again apologies for the tardiness

The Designated Victim - Shameless DVD review

Old 3rd February 2009, 11:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I sill haven't got round to buying this yet. The Darkside recently called it Almar & co's finest hour.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 11th February 2009, 10:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

T DV arrived in the post yesterday and i watched it straight away and i have to say well done Shameless for giving us another great giallo release, keep 'em comming.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 24th April 2009, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've reviewed The Designated Victim for Australia's biggest horror movie site (I'm a mod on the forums over too). I'm hoping this review will spark interest in the film and generate more sales.

http://www.digital-retribution.com/reviews/dvd1/079.php
Old 25th April 2009, 12:18 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Excellent review CJ. Thanks for this.
Old 26th April 2009, 12:30 PM
Cultist in Training

I love the movie, and its music.

Recently I picked up the New Trolls Concerto trilogy. Great stuff, really great.

Like this? Share it using the links below!