Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Don't Torture a Duckling (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   SHAM033 – Don’t Torture a Duckling: The Archive Conversation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dont-torture-duckling/4489-sham033-don-t-torture-duckling-archive-conversation.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 08:23 AM

SHAM033 – Don’t Torture a Duckling: The Archive Conversation

Once again, you have requested a title and Shameless have responded! It’s been cropping up in suggestions threads for years and it’s even been mentioned in the speculation over SHAM031, but Shameless can now announce that SHAM033 will be none other than a Fan Edition release of Lucio Fulci’s masterpiece, Don’t Torture a Duckling for the first time on UK DVD!

For those of you not entirely familiar with the film, here’s a bit more about it:

In a small village in southern Italy, young pre-adolescent boys are turning up dead from strangulation. Evidence points to a number of possible suspects, especially the local "witch," Martiara (Florinda Bolkan), whose voodoo practices and possible insanity make her a likely candidate. But what about Patrizia (Barbara Bouchet), the bored city girl hiding out after a drug scandal, who now passes the time by flaunting her naked body in front of children? The local Catholic Church, headed by young Don Alberto (The Psychic's Marc Porel) and his mother, Aurelia (Irene Papas), tries to keep the population under control, but even the local police are baffled by the case. A reporter from the north, Andrea (Tomas Milian), comes to investigate and recruits Patrizia to discover some genuinely ugly truths about the quiet provincial town.

Don’t Torture a Duckling is the acknowledged Lucio Fulci masterpiece – it is the all time 1st position rating for the director on IMDb.

For those of you more familiar with Fulci’s zombie and gore films, Don't Torture a Duckling will come as a pleasant surprise: a giallo thriller which contains one of Fulci’s most brutal and haunting scenes ever filmed.

10Kbullets: ”Don’t Torture a Duckling is a perfect showcase for those who are only familiar with Fulci’s effects and gore films to finally see his masterpiece.”

The Fan Edition DVD will be released 29 August 2011.

Please note: Images are for illustration only and are not representative of the finished product.

PaulD 28th January 2011 08:28 AM

I guessed this for SHAM031 - can I still win a copy? :pray:

Seriously though, good announcement. Haven't seen this film for quite a while and don't own a copy so am very excited for this release. Great stuff!

sghawken 28th January 2011 08:37 AM

FAN-Tastic news One of Fulci's finest. I know this movie inside out, but i'll still buy it!

More lesser seen Fulci please!

necroluciferia 28th January 2011 08:42 AM

Ooh very nice. I shall certainly be making a purchase :)

Gojirosan 28th January 2011 08:53 AM

Very good news - a superb film. Fulci's best, I reckon.

BioZombie 28th January 2011 08:56 AM

I've not seen this film, but I just had a quick look at the trailer on YouTube and it looks great.

I just wish I wasnt so broke, and could get in on all of this new Shameless action.

bedorca 28th January 2011 09:11 AM

Oh yeah!

I watched this not long ago. Great great film. A Fulci classic

WELL DONE AGAIN SHAMELESS!! :rockon:

Mbarr 28th January 2011 09:21 AM

Fantastic news It's one of Fulci's best films...please please please have Italian lang/English subs (if so this will be a BIG seller worldwide) :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 09:37 AM

It may not be my favourite Lucio Fulci film, but Don't Torture a Duckling is probably his best and most narratively competent with some striking imagery and a really nice reveal at the end. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shameless have in mind in terms of extra features. Great choice, but now to clear up the mystery of ShAM031!

Inspector Tanzi 28th January 2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 124627)
I guessed this for SHAM031 - can I still win a copy? :pray:

You certainly did, it was post #148:cool:

...but I'd already said it in post #82:tongue1:

Sarah@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 09:55 AM

Prizes are only for correctly guessing SHAM031 I'm afraid, guys

:focus:

Gojirosan 28th January 2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbarr (Post 124640)
.please please please have Italian lang/English subs (if so this will be a BIG seller worldwide) :)

Absolutely! The worst thing about the film is the unsympathetic English dub which makes it sound like a Spaghetti Western! Totally inappropriate voices are used for the non-leads. The Italian audio track is a must.

Pete 28th January 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 124646)
The Italian audio track is a must.

Agreed!:nod:

Mbarr 28th January 2011 10:50 AM

The other reason why the Italian soundtrack is a must is there are around four/five different dialects spoken in the film (all Italian of course but variations from other regions) this adds to the film with the mistrust from the villagers to any outsiders (the huge bridge of course leading more outsiders to the closed knit community)...times are changing!

Filmbar70 28th January 2011 10:52 AM

Don't Torture

Absolutely great news! Contains (for my money) Fulci's greatest moment - a scene that is simultaneously shockingly violent and utterly heart-breaking.

Mbarr 28th January 2011 10:58 AM

Also Florinda Bolkan is fantastic in this (has she ever been anything but?)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbarr (Post 124656)
Also Florinda Bolkan is fantastic in this (has she ever been anything but?)

I completely agree about Florinda Bolkan and am jumping on the Italian soundtrack bandwagon. I really don't understand people who won't watch a film in a foreign language with subtitles so, although an English dub is bound to be included, most 'aficionados' would prefer to watch the film in its native tongue; I know I would.

Sarah, any news on when you will find out about extra features, a reversible sleeve or anything like that?

Sarah@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 124660)
Sarah, any news on when you will find out about extra features, a reversible sleeve or anything like that?

No news yet but I'm sure there will be lots during the next five months or so until release!

g053584398 28th January 2011 11:26 AM

Whilst I already have this on DVD I would definitely pick up the Shameless release if it had the Italian soundtrack, English subtitles and was uncut. Oh, and if the compression was handled with the competence of the BU release.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 11:34 AM

Fantastic news; one of my favourite gialli. :woot:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 124661)
No news yet but I'm sure there will be lots during the next five months or so until release!

Is it really that far away? Oh, the agony of waiting begins again but it is fortunate that there are so many titles from Shameless and Arrow to fill the void and numb the pain a bit!

slaghammer 28th January 2011 11:37 AM

Amazing film, great news!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 124666)
Fantastic news; one of my favourite gialli. :woot:

It's one of my favourite gialli too and a film that I considered one of the five titles that are 'essential viewing' when I wrote my What Is a Giallo? article.

Mojo 28th January 2011 12:10 PM

Excellent news! :clap:

I have the old ABUS dvd but I'll be buying the Shameless release without a doubt! :nod:

bedorca 28th January 2011 12:11 PM

Can we expect BBFC trouble with this title? :censored:

Especially the "Orange Juice" scene?

Fingers crossed :pray:

Mbarr 28th January 2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 124677)

Especially the the "Orange Juice" scene?

EEK!...there may also be a second "Lizardgate" :lol:

Nemesis 28th January 2011 12:38 PM

This is terrific news :clap: - I was thinking about importing the BU disc, but now I'll wait. Great choice, Shameless :woot:

As well as the Italian track, a blu of this would be even better ;)

zombie pony 28th January 2011 01:19 PM

Very nice announcement. Easily the best Fulci effort I've seen. I was blown away when I watched this years ago so it'll be lovely to revisit the film. I'm sure it'll do very well.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 124676)
I have the old ABUS dvd but I'll be buying the Shameless release without a doubt! :nod:

Same here although the Anchor Bay one will do me for the next five months!
Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 124677)

Especially the the "Orange Juice" scene?

I can't imagine the BBFC will object to the title -- its not likely early 1980s when anything with 'cannibal' or 'torture' was immediately banned all subject to scrutiny by Thatcher's government.

As for the more contentious scene, I don't think there'll be too much trouble getting through Soho Square as times have moved on and it really shouldn't be against any of their policies and guidelines. I hope I'm right as it would be terrible to have this in a cut form, given how popular it is likely to be.

Peter Neal 28th January 2011 02:18 PM

A persoanal fave of mine, so I'm really looking forward to this opportunity for an upgrade from the BU disc.:)

Inspector Tanzi 28th January 2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 124660)
I really don't understand people who won't watch a film in a foreign language with subtitles

I know, the amount of my mates who have refused to watch a film because it's subtitled.
It's different if your one of them types that take ages to read something, you know like when you was at school and had to read aloud, there was probably at least one kid in every class going "W-W-W-W-One day I w-w-w-went f-f-f-f-fo-for a wa-w-wal-wal- walk" and you used to sit there thinking "**** sake just read it" and it wasn't even like they stuttered or anything.

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 04:06 PM

I've never seen this. :o Yes, I should be ashamed. After watching Footprints, Flavia The Heretic and Women In A Lizards Skin though, I can't go wrong watching anything with Florinda Bolkan!

Gojirosan 28th January 2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 124731)
I've never seen this. :o Yes, I should be ashamed. After watching Footprints, Flavia The Heretic and Women In A Lizards Skin though, I can't go wrong watching anything with Florinda Bolkan!

As good as those three films are. I think you may be in for something of a revelation when you see ...Duckling!

Yes, it really is that excellent.

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 04:42 PM

Fantastic. Looking forward to it very much.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 124731)

You are indeed in for a treat as I rate Don't Torture a Duckling above Lizard in a Woman's Skin, several steps above Flavia The Heretic and it is easily on a par with Footprints. It is up there with The Beyond as Fulci's best film but it is much more narratively coherent and with arguably better performances.

Inspector Tanzi 28th January 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 124746)
You are indeed in for a treat as I rate Don't Torture a Duckling above Lizard in a Woman's Skin, several steps above Flavia The Heretic and it is easily on a par with Footprints.

My order of best are:

Duckling
Lizard
Flavia
Footprints

JAMIOUSE 28th January 2011 06:02 PM

Great choice and one of Fulci's best films, I hope the dvd will include the deleted scene from the Italian dvd and possibly both English and Italian audio tracks.

Let's hope for Seven Notes In Black next!

Argentofan 28th January 2011 06:28 PM

Cool! Looking forward to artwork ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th January 2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 124759)
My order of best are:

Duckling
Lizard
Flavia
Footprints

Mine would be:

Lizard
Duckling
Footprints
Flavia

Sargento 28th January 2011 07:04 PM

Super super scoop Shameless!!!! Terrific film and at last a UK release. Only watched my ABUS release of couple of weeks ago and it really is a good movie. Highly recommended guys. I will only buy again though, if someone wants to buy or trade my ABUS disk!!! This should be a great release though. Brave of Shameless to take this up though, especially with the subject matter.