Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Don't Torture a Duckling (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   SHAM033 - Don't Torture a Duckling: The Artwork (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dont-torture-duckling/6246-sham033-dont-torture-duckling-artwork.html)

sjconstable 17th January 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Longshanks (Post 209969)
Yup. Although I hear the Optimum Release edition over here is an improvement atleast. I'm surprised they stuck with the same cover even so.

I rented the Optimum Blu-ray and it looked like an upscale, avoid.

antmumford 17th January 2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Longshanks (Post 209969)
Yup. Although I hear the Optimum Release edition over here is an improvement atleast. I'm surprised they stuck with the same cover even so.

Sorry didn't read your original post properly, I was actually talking about the Optimum one. It's sooo bad that I had to get rid of it, will have to stick to my DVD for the time being until a better UK release comes along.

sjconstable 17th January 2012 04:25 PM

Yup Optimum have released a lot of Blu-rays like that, I have discovered by renting them from Lovefilm. It sickens me!

Lou Longshanks 17th January 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 209999)
I rented the Optimum Blu-ray and it looked like an upscale, avoid.

Like Escape from New York then? Darn, that is a shame. The screen caps looked good too :(

sjconstable 17th January 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Longshanks (Post 210071)
Like Escape from New York then? Darn, that is a shame. The screen caps looked good too :(

Yeah, there was no fine detail whatsoever. Another Optimum one like that was 'Angel Heart'.

Splatterdragon73 18th January 2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 209928)
But I really can't imagine a cover being so ugly that it would keep me from buying a specific release. If the movie's great, and the release itself has high quality, i wouldn't be too bothered about the artwork.

Agreed and as an example i still have a new copy of the U.S. double-disc set of The Last House On Dead End Street with cover art by Steve Bissette. Now i don't like this sleeve but there's no denying said release is a powerhouse package for such an obscure film.

Also, what about those scarcely seen jewel case DVDs that have no actual cover design at all? Just the frontal transparency of the plastic packaging so only the disc itself and anything behind it is visible. Oddly enough the German CMV edition of the aforementioned movie is one such release. No cover illustration to speak of you can simply see straight through into the inside of the case where the DVD is housed.:)

Vampix 18th January 2012 10:08 AM

I got my copy of DTAD delivered today and while the cover art is certainly nothing special I didn't think it was that bad, I'm more interested in watching the film than looking at the cover anyway.I'll probably end up reversing it just to avoid the potential embarrassment of my kids finding it and asking about the nude woman on the front. :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd January 2012 11:45 AM

That would be one way of having 'that' conversation!

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd January 2012 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Longshanks (Post 209923)
:lol:

What can I say? I like my giallos to alteast look like giallos when they sit on my shelf. If you remember when Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark was released on Blu-Ray, Lionsgate "Twilightised" the cover, giving the film not half of the respect it deserves.

I don't know about you but that more than put me off buying it, despite how awesome the film may be.

I agree, this cover would seriously put me off buying Near Dark.

At least Shameless don't Twilightise their covers to cash in.