Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Don't Torture a Duckling

Poll: Is Don't Torture a Duckling Fulci's masterpiece?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Is Don't Torture a Duckling Fulci's masterpiece?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I much prefer Fulci's horror outings to anything else he's done. Don't get me wrong, I do love his Giallos and spaghetti westerns, but for me, the horror films are where it's at.

DTAD is a great film though, no doubt about it. But it's not my favourite from Fulci's canon.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:47 AM
Cultist

Personally I would say its his best film by a considerable margin.

Its been a good while since I saw it even though I own the ABUS DVD.

I remember being totally blown away when watching it though.
Old 17th September 2011, 07:14 PM
Cultist

I momentarily misread the title of this thread as 'So Is it A F***ing Masterpiece?'. Whoops.

"The monster was the best friend I ever had" - Boris Karloff.
Old 18th September 2011, 02:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
I momentarily misread the title of this thread as 'So Is it A F***ing Masterpiece?'. Whoops.
What were you searching for when you found cult-labs.com?
Old 18th September 2011, 02:39 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
What were you searching for when you found cult-labs.com?
A list of every Shameless DVD release.

Old 18th September 2011, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd say that Don't Torture A Duckling and Lizard In A Woman's Skin are on a par really.

I genuinely believe that The New York Ripper is a brilliant movie too. I know it has it's detractors, but there is an insane sense of humour running through that film that cracks me up when I watch it. Stylistically it doesn't hold up against the aforementioned gialli, but it's seriously underrated; expected misogyny aside of course.

Horror-wise I think The House By The Cemetery is my fave, even though after I first saw it I wasn't into it at all. After a couple of revisits though, it's the one that still manages to make me feel uneasy and Dr. Freudstein is probably one of my fave monster/creatures of all time.

And also Cat In The Brain is another sterling example of how bloody funny Fulci was. The whole meta-horror twist and self references are a riot - what's not to like?

So I think it's impossible for me to choose one Fulci masterpiece when he has made so many incredible flicks.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 18th September 2011, 03:04 PM
Cultist

I'm not sure that I've ever seen DTAD, though I can't wait to watch it. Perhaps memories will flood back when I do, of having watched it as a kid, or it'll just be a great new experience. One thing I will say, though, is that I really ADORE the titles of some of Fulci's films - 'Don't Torture A Duckling', 'Lizard In A Woman's Skin', 'Cat In The Brain', etc. There's something unique about them, and it only adds to the attraction. I'm not sure if they're the result of bad English translations (ala 'Engrish') or on purpose, but it's either genius or a happy accident.

Old 18th September 2011, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
I'm not sure that I've ever seen DTAD, though I can't wait to watch it. Perhaps memories will flood back when I do, of having watched it as a kid, or it'll just be a great new experience. One thing I will say, though, is that I really ADORE the titles of some of Fulci's films - 'Don't Torture A Duckling', 'Lizard In A Woman's Skin', 'Cat In The Brain', etc. There's something unique about them, and it only adds to the attraction. I'm not sure if they're the result of bad English translations (ala 'Engrish') or on purpose, but it's either genius or a happy accident.
I'm not sure where the ostentatious titles come from, but they're corkers for sure. Some other greats (not Fulci though):

Four Flies On Grey Velvet
Death Laid An Egg
Why Are Those Strange Drops Of Blood On Jennifer's Body?
The Forbidden Photos Of A Lady Above Suspicion
Short Night Of The Glass Dolls
Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key...

... amazing no?

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 19th September 2011, 12:52 AM
Ex-member

I certainly think it's his masterpiece (also one of the best Gialli ever), the title may seem like a typical Italian Giallo title but theres more to it paperino (duckling) is an Italian phrase for children, as we would use terms like wee lamb, chicken etc!
Old 19th September 2011, 08:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Lucio Fulci is a hard directed to pin down as he always has the 'master of splatter' tagline with his propensity for lavish gore sequences. Though I have absolutely nothing against his gory horror movies, I feel Don't Torture a Duckling (along with Lizard in a Woman's Skin) are Fulci's most accomplished works in terms of the narrative, directorial flair and overall technical brilliance.

Like this? Share it using the links below!