LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2012, 09:59 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The documentary was the reason i bought the first nasties set.

Hope they come up with something equally as good for this one.

Losing Emily Booth would be a start.
For nothing more than variety and eye candy, they should keep Emily Booth, but give her some watching and reading material about a month in advance along with the script so she can learn her lines and deliver them straight to camera rather than off to the side where the cue cards are placed!
Old 12th July 2012, 10:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
Night of the Bloody Apes = first time in a 16x9 anamorphic version with dual language options!
I thought academy ratio (4:3) was its original ratio? Or is this simply a hard matted version from the original 4:3 image?
Old 13th July 2012, 01:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
great news about a second VIDEO NASTIES BOX SET
the first is brilliant and one of best horror docs around.
Indeed yes and said initial volume makes a superior companion piece to ABUK's two Box Of The Banned sets with their respective Ban The Sadist Videos documentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
No offense but I'm going to give the Nasties set a miss as I'm sick to death of the whole subject.
I'll confess i find the topic a tad tedious at times nowadays but generally any good books and DVDs on the VN debacle i'll still go for as such output is always a nice 'n' needed trip down memory lane for me. Aahh, happy days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Noooo! I like a bit of Emmy!
You're not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Clearly not knowing much about the films she was introducing at all.
I must admit i used to think the same thing when Booth would introduce some of Zone Horror's screenings. Great to look at but with limited knowledge of the genre imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
She can smash up my tapes anytime...
Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiaswragg View Post
As somebody who lived through the 'Golden Age' of video, I don't think I'll ever tire of the 'nasties phenomenon'.
Yours truly grew up in the same era too and although the subject can become a bit repetitive to me at times, i've got absolutely no intention of ever losing any love i have for the relevant furore. VHS was an integral part of my youth and i was well known for indulging in the format's output. Even now i'm probably known more for my passion for films than anything else and i've never been able to shake off the reputation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
For nothing more than variety and eye candy, they should keep Emily Booth, but give her some watching and reading material about a month in advance along with the script so she can learn her lines and deliver them straight to camera rather than off to the side where the cue cards are placed!
A suitably sensible suggestion there.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:12 PM
Ex-member

Blimey this is an old thread LOL

so

I thought the documentary wasn't that great tbh too many problems with it but hey that is my opinion.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've watched the 'rundowns' the most. Thrower's defence of Oasis Of The Zombies is truly heroic.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2018, 01:26 PM
Cult Addict

Firstly i'd like to say that a few of the major people involved in the pro censorship debate such as Mary Whitehouse and James Ferman are dead now so that would be difficult to arrange an interview.

Also seeing as many of the nasties list were not prosecuted and eventually cleared, and just taking in to account many of the ridiculous titles targeted.
It would suggest much of the whole story was a knee jerk reaction to a few over exaggerated stories and grisly artwork.

The fact that most of the titles have now been legitimately released uncut in the U.K ,with no increase in power implement slaughter or rise of zombie outbreaks. Would also serve to deem anyone still aggressively wanting to argue the case to ban films like the ridiculous "Don't go in the woods" to look very foolish when being compared to reasoned arguments or critiques.

Perhaps feeling foolish some of the people concerned are not open to being included in a documentary on the subject, or would find it questionable and against their moral judgement.
Especially seeing a scenes from the films are shown throughout the documentary and trailers.

Maybe the film is anti censorship by necessity, any documentary about the phenomenon made in a pro censorship stance wouldn't present the clips or actually assess the films in a calm way, so would be biased as well.

By examining scenes and showing clips we can get a reasoned overview of the films in question, often the films are ridiculed or dismissed as shoddy productions by the critics in the trailer reel.

By the way the documentary and set covers all of the original 72 video nasties that the police seized and attempted to ban and prosecute.

The second set is about other films that were seized at the time but were never actually prosecuted or banned. This was called the section 3 list.

I feel the documentaries gives a good overview of how and why the Nasty situation originated, basically a lack of certification for home video.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:29 PM
Cult Addict

I wrote this as a reply to an earlier post that seems to have evaporated,
or did i dream it.

Nevermind... that's my opinion.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I wrote this as a reply to an earlier post that seems to have evaporated,
or did i dream it.

Nevermind... that's my opinion.
It seems Nos banned him for going on about 'dogs' when he was told to leave it several days ago.

I liked your reply by the way.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You didn't imagine the post as it was there, but it was pointless and another example of the ex-user trolling. It wasn't a review, but commenting on someone else's review on a different website.

You pointed out very well how ridiculous it was to say there is a lack of balance because the banning of the films was based on such a flimsy pretense (by some people who are now dead) that they would be unlikely to sit down for an interview for a documentary in which they try and defend the indefensible.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

He was warned plenty of times and he just wouldn’t leave it, all he’s done is create arguments on here so he won’t be missed by me
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!