Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2008, 05:47 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Mother of Tears (2007) - Dario Argento

Well,watched this last night,and I'm afraid to say I ENJOYED IT!
No way was it going to match up to SUSPIRIA or INFERNO,but it was by no means as bad as many people had said,the gore was a great throwback to Fulci's epics,and although the Daria Nicolodi cameo as a helpful spirit was laughable,I found it a vast improvement on Argento's recent efforts......Has anyone else seen it yet?......I await the online massacre of Reaper72........
Old 28th April 2008, 05:50 PM
Cult Rookie

The UK dvd cover is crap though, don't you reckon?

Looks like an ENYA dvd.
Old 28th April 2008, 05:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,could've put a bit more thought into it,wonder what the Italians will come up with...
Old 28th April 2008, 05:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'll pick it up soon enough and surely am dying to review this after all the heated debates the movie already caused.
Old 28th April 2008, 05:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You may be pleasantly surprised Peter..........
Old 28th April 2008, 06:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

yeah, I saw this on the big screen yesterday - and I can't see what all the fuss was about really. With the exception of half a dozen lines of dialogue (most of which could be excised from the film) and a particularly bad bit of acting from Asia (she said concentrate not constipate) this was a pretty competent effort from Argento. Sure it really misses the overwhelming style of Suspiria and Inferno (both of which I saw projected on the big screen for the first time on Friday ) but is competent none the less. Not the worst film I saw over the weekend (I can think of at least two films that were much worse).

S
Old 28th April 2008, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's the problem mate,when the benchmark is SUSPIRIA,even more so than INFERNO,it's a very high benchmark to hit......look at Hooper....can anyone say he hit another high like THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE?.....and don't any joker bother replying with The Mangler....
Old 28th April 2008, 06:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well to quote myself from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I like it a lot personally, but it's not in the same league as Suspiria/Inferno, so forget that right away.

It's quite mainstream, is Argento's goriest outing yet, and really quite sloppy - not least the frankly bemusing ending!! However, it's fun, real fun - and has a high dose of camp about it.

I was expecting the worst, and was pleasantly surprised. It just may not be the end to the trilogy you hoped for. Still, as a fun Argento flick though, you could do a lot worse. Lower your expectations, and just have fun with it.

Some Argento fans are foaming at the mouth about how much they hate it, but it's still a fun flick! So yeah - I recommend it.
Old 28th April 2008, 07:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Spot on mate........
Old 28th April 2008, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm pleased to see the praise coming in for it reaps - as despite it not being another Suspiria/Inferno (were we really expecting it to be though?), it doesn't deserve the vilification it's been getting. Hands down, it's the most entertaining Argento in a long while too.

People seem to be forgetting the fun aspect of Italian horror, and the sloppiness of MOT adds to the charm. Boy has it been getting burnt at the stake by many an Argento "fan" though. It's messy, but has so many great bits.. (and yes, some cringeworthy bits). Overall though, high entertainment!

Like this? Share it using the links below!