Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Mario Bava (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/3009-mario-bava.html)

Justin101 10th June 2010 11:05 AM

Mario Bava

Can anyone recommend some good Region Free (or R2) DVDs of the 60's films, Blood & Black Lace, Hatchet for a Honeymoon, etc etc.

Is the ABUK Box Set worth grabbing (print quality etc..)

cheers :)

Gojirosan 10th June 2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 85419)
Is the ABUK Box Set worth grabbing (print quality etc..)

Yes, very much so. Excellent quality.

Splatterdragon73 12th June 2010 01:24 PM

Imo Odeon's recent DVD release of AHFAH boasts a superior cover to the old ABUK edition. But the latter has a slightly better selection of extras if i'm not mistaken. However, some early copies apparently suffered from an audio glitch so be careful if you're buying one.;)

There's also a reputedly impressive German edition of Planet Of The Vampires. Italian DVD label Raro have dabbled in some Bava magic too with DVD versions of Bay Of Blood, Baron Blood and a two disc set of Lisa And the Devil coupled with The House Of Exorcism.

bdc 12th June 2010 04:36 PM

Is that UK boxset really good?
I seem to remember complaints about motion blurring or am I confusing it with another UK box? ;)

Gojirosan 12th June 2010 06:23 PM

I've not noticed any issues with mine.

That's not to say they aren't there, but I can't recall anything.

bdc 12th June 2010 06:42 PM

I could also be mistaken,I'm not certain I remember correctly... ;)

Pete 12th June 2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 85864)
Is that UK boxset really good?
I seem to remember complaints about motion blurring or am I confusing it with another UK box? ;)

I thought it was fine, but then again i'm not as fussy as some people when it comes to pq.

You should buy it B.

Splatterdragon73 13th June 2010 10:31 AM

I forgot to mention the Italian double disc set of gothic great The Mask Of Satan. Such a mighty monochrome masterpiece this film.;)

g053584398 13th June 2010 08:11 PM

The Italian DVD of Planet of the Vampires is the version to go for featuring, as it does, the full length Italian version of the film, with optional English subtitles and an anamorphic transfer. The DVD features the original Italian title Terrore Nello Spazio.

The best version of Blood and Black Lace is the limited edition and now OOP German DVD, although it is quite difficult to get hold of and costs a mint. The German rerelease isn't worth touching as it isn't English friendly.

It is a shame that Anchor Bay didn't release the second Bava box set in the UK, although it can be picked up from the States and is highly recommended.

bdc 13th June 2010 08:18 PM

I have both US Bava boxes. ;)