Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/7784-living-dead-manchester-morgue.html)

Rassilon 29th January 2012 01:02 PM

Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

I have just watched this film, and haven't laughed as much in ages. I had the expectation, given the hype of this movie that it was going to be as gory as ZFE whilst being quite dark.
However it neither. Needless to say I still enjoyed it. The cop on the edge was the best character, with his screaming at his collegues faces becuase they knocked on his door, to his crazy running after a speeding car like a jack russel.
I have no idea how this film made the video nasties list. In places it felt like a Vic and Bob sketch. And near the end when the cop says 'I've always been fond of apples'
priceless.

Susan Foreman 29th January 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 212731)
I have no idea how this film made the video nasties list.

Didn't the BBFC have a problem with cannibalistic zombies back in the day?

Frankie Teardrop 29th January 2012 01:32 PM

I remember reading about this one in a really decrepit issue of 'House of Hammer' I found in a charity shop when I was 13 - the article really captured my imagination, and seemed to describe something incredibly dark and transgressive, so like yourself my expectations were primed (and in my case totally unrealistic). The trailer I saw a couple of years later seemed harrowing and further reinforced my sense of needing to see it. Strangely enough though I only caught up with LDAMM 3 years ago - came away with the impression of having had a rather strained experience with it, one which dragged a lot of the time, but which was also punctuated with genuine jolts both in the grue and weirdness stakes - enough to make sitting down with it worthwhile. For me it lacked the eeriness I was looking for, despite some nice atmosphere in places and 'characters' like Guthrie - nothing like a bad dub that fluctuates between South London and RP to undermine a sense of creeping doom. My mate presented a paper about it at Bradford uni last year (think it showed there along with Lizard in a Woman's Skin). I'll need to re-watch to come to terms with its Vick'n'Bobness - will definitely keep an eye out for The Man With The Stick!

Rassilon 29th January 2012 01:48 PM

Yes, perhaps if it had a better muscial score it might have had that erieness. I also laughed when a zombie getting up, seemed to levatate to his feet. The Vic and Bobness was noticeable when the policeman's body was found half eaten and his legs and arms seemed to strech out like they were twice the length.:lol:

Gojirosan 29th January 2012 01:58 PM

Gosh.

People watch films in very different ways!

:lol:

Frankie Teardrop 29th January 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 212740)
Yes, perhaps if it had a better muscial score it might have had that erieness. I also laughed when a zombie getting up, seemed to levatate to his feet. The Vic and Bobness was noticeable when the policeman's body was found half eaten and his legs and arms seemed to strech out like they were twice the length.:lol:

Yeah I remember chuckling at the levitating / rising zombie - looked like the director was straining for something a bit novel, but it just fell flat.
I reckon the beginning's pretty good though (the only part of the film actually set in Manchester) - would've made for a more intriguing film if it'd just stayed with that stuff, maybe.

dis 29th January 2012 02:52 PM

got this film,although under the title "let sleeping corpses lie".
quite enjoy it!

Rassilon 29th January 2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 212744)
Yeah I remember chuckling at the levitating / rising zombie - looked like the director was straining for something a bit novel, but it just fell flat.
I reckon the beginning's pretty good though (the only part of the film actually set in Manchester) - would've made for a more intriguing film if it'd just stayed with that stuff, maybe.

Defo. Although why was the woman running naked through the city?

horrorfreaks 29th January 2012 04:06 PM

Manchester Morgue

While watching this film especially when they are by the stream you can hear the sound of a elephant in the background, I know it suppose to be the radiation van on the field but you expect the sounds engineer for the film would make a different noise for the van. :doh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th January 2012 06:32 PM

A classic.
Rivals Romero's original zombie opus.:nod: