Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Flavia The Heretic (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=496)
-   -   SHAM007 - Flavia The Heretic (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/flavia-heretic/115-sham007-flavia-heretic.html)

bedorca 24th May 2008 06:53 AM

Couldn't agree more Sarah. As with all of the Shameless titles, films I wouldnt normally have given a second glance, I have been extremely pleased and entertained. I think I have found my niche :woot:

Almar@Cult Labs 25th May 2008 12:51 PM

Well it's a voyage of discovery for us too and has really re-ignited my love of giallos that had died down over the years as I stopped remembering to import titles. That got me thinking to wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick these things up in the shops instead of Hostel 2!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2008 08:30 PM

Sure bloody would....some shop's horror sections are pathetic....:(

bedorca 30th May 2008 07:33 PM

I often wonder why they have "horror" sections!!!

cloud 2nd January 2009 10:26 PM

And I'm now up to date with my Shameless titles having just watched this.

This is a difficult one to write up about because it seemed to get stuck between being a serious historical drama and a blood and guts exploitation flick. I think both areas were done well but at the same time I don't think they quite fitted together, it would go one way and when you thought the film had settled into a certain direction it would change and go in another. The nipple slicing was brilliant and that is coming from a very jaded gorehound. The other scenes of violence were well done and there was a lot of irony in the story, it was almost poetic at times.

A good film but not quite as good as its reputation suggested. With the state of the British pound at the moment then I think it's fantastic that films like this are now being released over here. It is nice to buy R2 DVDs instead of forever importing from USA and Europe etc and yeah, I'm happy. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep buying them... well that is of course unless it's something like Manhattan Baby, lol.

bedorca 3rd January 2009 07:57 AM

Manhattan Baby makes perfect sense in an alternate dimension :rofl:

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 01:37 PM

Hey how do you think it felt writing the sleeve notes? Hence I just went for honesty and said hey this baby makes no sense - it's still one of Fulci's most atmospheric even if it makes no sense.

As for Flavia it really is a two-tone film that never really melds properly but it has those kind of stand-out moments that remain in the mind for a long time afterwards! It's been one of the best sellers in the range - seems you can't keep a good nun down! ;)

cloud 5th January 2009 04:59 PM

It might be one of his most atmospheric films but it's also Fulci at his most boring. Without checking his filmography I think this was made in between The Beyond and The New York Ripper, so for him to make it in his peak makes it even more disappointing. I've watched it twice and I just can't get into it at all. When Fulci was on song his films were great, when he was off form they were unwatchable!

Just out of interest, what are your top 10 best sellers? Or is that top secret? ;)

Oh and another question. You've released Killer Nun and Flavia.... any chance of Malabimba next?

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 07:17 PM

no it's not a top secret - I just need to compile a top 10 - might need to remind me but I'll do that sometime soon

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2009 08:54 PM

No.1 seller is.........NIGHT OF THE DEMON PREORDERS.......:D:woot::rofl:;)