Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Four Flies on Grey Velvet (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   SHAM202/035 - Four Flies on Grey Velvet: Shameless has a question! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/four-flies-grey-velvet/6846-sham202-035-four-flies-grey-velvet-shameless-has-question.html)

Daemonia 28th September 2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 184872)
Is there no way a branching version can be made? It's the obvious choice as it would please everyone but I have no idea what the financial ranifications would be...

That would be my avenue of thought also. A branching version so you can either view film with the damaged scenes absent and watch those scenes separately as extras and also have a version that reinstates them into the film. Not sure how financially viable that would be - how expensive would it be to author the disc this way?

As Paul says, it might also be helpful to know what material we're talking about here.

Almar@Cult Labs 28th September 2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 185342)
Thanks for the info, Marc :clap:

Well that will probably bring this (rather pointless) thread to an end, then :D

DVD quality inserts are more than a perfect substitue anyway ;)

I don't see why it pointless if branching is now on the radar when before it wasn't - I have the e-mail this morning saying costs have to be looked at to do that on Blu. Sarah can only work with the info she's given but easier still would not be to bother risking 'pointless' threads.

Slippery Jack 28th September 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 185279)
On hearing the updated information from Shameless, I would be another who is now swaying towards leaving them in (if branching is not possible), rather than including them as extras.

Establishing shots would definitely look better as part of the film in my opinion, and may look slightly odd as stand-alone scenes presented in the extras.

Agreed. Formerly in the 'leave em out' camp, now moved over to 'go on then, leave em in!' . . .

...doh! Just seen Marc's post. Great news!

platostotal 28th September 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 185308)
I'm the one working on the edit - The scenes will be branched. That way you have the option of staying with HD or watching with lesser quality insert scenes (they are DVD quality and not from VHS).

Great, and thanks for taking the time to post, really looking forward to this release.

crunkteen 28th September 2011 07:11 PM

Greetings everyone - first post!

I really enjoy FOUR FLIES and was a little disappointed with the audio on the recent MYA release in the States -- although the picture image looked okay.

As long as the Eng audio track is cleaned up and corrected, I'd be a little more forgiving if a few seconds of damaged reel change footage was left on the floor.

However we can all agree that it really depends on WHAT the damaged footage is...I for one, and please forgive me if you disagree, don't really understand what all the fuss about "complete cuts" of certain films is all about when literally, a few moments of blood or whatnot is left out. As long as the plot and flow aren't interrupted then I don't really care.

vaultkeeper 28th September 2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 185248)
Originally I would have said have them as extras but thinking about it more it may be best to keep them in, this way you can market the film as being the most complete cut available (which will be a real must buy for Argento fans). I guess Shameless could have a pre warning comment come up at the beginning to state that the film contains scenes that drop in image quality, or something along those lines.
It will definitely be a 'completist' release for some people who'd want the full directors intended version of the film.
Just my thoughts!

Yes exactly, in that way dvdcompare.net wont be able to say:
"Draw
If you want the movie in good quality you might consider buying the Shameless edition
But if you want the complete version you might consider buying the MYA edition, allthough the inserted scenes are in low grade quality"

gnorthcott 28th September 2011 08:22 PM

Leave them in,if its meant to be in the film then it should be there.People will understand about the inferior p/q on the scenes.
At the end of the day it is better to have an uncut film id say,all you need to do is put a disclaimer on the packaging.

I would not buy an incomplete film,which is the reason why i wont be picking up the 'cannibal holocaust' blu.I understand some people might say 'well its only 14(???) seconds' but IMO i cant justify buying it when i already own 2 uncut versions and im pretty skint.Saying that though i hope all the blu rays do well for you as 'shameless' are the best cult film label in the UK,fact.And it would be gutting if they were noty on the scene

R-T-C Tim 28th September 2011 08:49 PM

Interesting this came up, I just finished watching the US DVD of Freda's "Double Face" which has a lot of low quality inserts (whoever cut the good looking film print obviously disliked any shots that didn't have dialogue and removed loads of scene setting and walking into a room shots).

It was something of a pain with the print continually changing, but I can't imagine if they had an option to watch just the pristine print I would do so.

Glad to hear that branching options will be provided, could well be an idea for future releases as well if it works.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th September 2011 10:19 PM

Think of The Wicker Man without the inserted footage.....:shocked:

Splatterdragon73 29th September 2011 05:44 AM

Tbh i'm easy either way whichever option is put into practice. I'll still tackle Argento's scarcely-seen Giallo whether the relevant scenes are inserted in the print or otherwise retained as an extra. I'm just glad FFOGV is now benefitting from a legit British DVD and BR release.:)

Sarah@Cult Labs 29th September 2011 10:38 AM

Since this thread has now served it's purpose, I'm going to close it up but before I do I'd just like to pass on Shameless' thanks to everyone who responded.

As Marc mentioned, Shameless have decided to go with seamless branching. However, what Marc didn't mention was that Shameless hadn't even considered this idea before it was mentioned on here and got such a huge amount of support.

The opinion of Cult Labs members is very important to Shameless and it's because of you guys that they have decided to go to the extra expense of having seamless branching on the DVD and Blu-ray.

Thanks for your comments! :)