Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2011, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll go for branching too.....but if it's a choice,well depends what those scenes are and how pivotal they are to the film.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The branching option does seem the most popular.

it really does depend on what is actually in the scenes.

If its a murder or a critical piece of dialogue for example then it HAS to be in the film.

If its just a car driving away, or a door closing etc then i guess the scenes could be left out.

A tough call to make without more info of the scenes.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Since they're "short scenes" I'd rather have them as extras.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:45 AM
Cult Rookie

I would prefer the branching option, so that people could choose between a complete cut with varying quality, or a slightly abridged cut in full HD. As stated, Lionsgate did the same thing to good effect with their release of My Bloody Valentine.
Old 28th September 2011, 02:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Would need to at least see some screen caps of how poor the quality actually is, I think. And I'm not goofing just to get a peek, I'm serious. Are they actually from VHS or are they just scratched up (green lines, etc)?
Old 28th September 2011, 09:09 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

As far as I know it's just damaged footage from the original that they had to leave out when they had a HD master made.

As for all the comments about a "branching option" - it's not actually an option at this stage because Shameless haven't given it to me as an option to present to you. It may be something they'll consider after seeing these comments but for now the only two options are leaving the footage in, or taking it out and including it as an extra.

I'll see if Shameless can give me more details on what the scenes consist of, but I doubt I'll be able to get screenshots of the quality as the guys there are super-busy at the moment!
Old 28th September 2011, 10:06 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just had a wee bit more info from Shameless.

Firstly, they are looking into branching but it could be too costly for them to do so at the moment it's just not an option. It's that old production costs vs. sales issue that rears its ugly head quite regularly for small companies like Shameless.

They're super-busy at the moment so I couldn't get specifics as to where the scenes come in the film but they could tell be that half of the damage looks like reel-change-damage and therefore half of the damaged scenes/sequences are not really consequential to the flow of the film.

However, the other half of the sequences/scenes may be relevant to the scene immediately following (so, I would imagine, establishing shots and the like).

So... Leave them in or take them out and include them as extras? It's a tough decision which is why Shameless are interested in the opinions of you guys!
Old 28th September 2011, 10:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Then leave them in. on my shitty tv itl make no difference anyway haha. seriously though, retain the film as a whole please.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Originally I would have said have them as extras but thinking about it more it may be best to keep them in, this way you can market the film as being the most complete cut available (which will be a real must buy for Argento fans). I guess Shameless could have a pre warning comment come up at the beginning to state that the film contains scenes that drop in image quality, or something along those lines.
It will definitely be a 'completist' release for some people who'd want the full directors intended version of the film.
Just my thoughts!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th September 2011, 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

On hearing the updated information from Shameless, I would be another who is now swaying towards leaving them in (if branching is not possible), rather than including them as extras.

Establishing shots would definitely look better as part of the film in my opinion, and may look slightly odd as stand-alone scenes presented in the extras.
Prince_Vajda likes this.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 28th September 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!